Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

it would have been interesting if you gave a normal dose and see a drop after food the opposite of normal which may lead you to believe that maybe that early rise maybe something outside of food and maybe on occasion this spike may happen before food giving you those odd high fasting numbers

it does appear annie can handle a huge drop then stabilize quite impressive her body does seem to do quite well balancing things out

glad she is back to normal i bet she enjoyed that jerky
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I think I remember someone else having a problem with Jerky in particular.

Glad she is back to normal.
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
        it would have been interesting if you gave a normal dose and see a drop after food the opposite of normal which may lead you to believe that maybe that early rise maybe something outside of food and maybe on occasion this spike may happen before food giving you those odd high fasting numbers

it does appear annie can handle a huge drop then stabilize quite impressive her body does seem to do quite well balancing things out

glad she is back to normal i bet she enjoyed that jerky
        I think I understand your suggested test. I'm pretty sure it is a food rise. With only "N", she will jump 100+ in less that an hour. I admit that the rise frequently starts an hour or two prior to a meal (insulin running out?), but because "N" takes several hours (in Annie) to start, I still call it a food rise.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

i think the best part about it is the dependability day in day out i wish jesse could be as consistent as annie but we adjust to different fastings to keep her in a good range
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
            I think I remember someone else having a problem with Jerky in particular.

Glad she is back to normal.
            I don't have the package the jerky came in, but I've noticed many "human" jerky recipes contain brown sugar or honey.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/docs-best-beef-jerky/

I gave a small piece, slightly smaller than a credit card, and the time could have been shortly before the insulin peak. Don't know if I can blame the jerky.
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Glad she's back to normal today Craig She really does handle the R adjustments well.

Ali can get overlap going if I adjust too much with her Humalog because the N essentially doesn't have to work so hard and lasts longer.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Well, it has happened again! Annie seems to have had an afternoon snack of Fruit Blend Flavor cockatiel bird food yesterday.

Some may remember a year ago, Annie got into the bird food and had high BG readings. Then there was the time Molly, the cockatiel, seemed to be chucking food out of her cage down to the waiting Annie: team work! We've been storing the bird food on a high shelf to keep it away from Annie, but apparently not high enough!

Late yesterday afternoon Annie threw-up (very unusual) and when we were cleaning up the mess, I noticed the bird food / seeds! Quickly found the open bag of bird food next to Molly's cage. Somehow Annie got the bag off the shelf, and removed the big spring clip that keeps the bag closed.

This was about an hour before the usual meal time, she tested a little over 400. Pretty much back on schedule this morning with a 133 reading. We are now storing the bag of bird food in a tubberware (spelling?) container with a tight lid.

KIDS!

Comment

oh my its amazing how she gets into these situations very enterprising

her numbers always seem to bounce back to normal very quickly she is a very well regulated girl with a desire for bird seed

she may have been a bird in her other life

glad things are back to normal but i dont know if you can ever stop her from figuring new ways to get into things very smart girl

Comment

What, u accusing this sweet innocent little face?

She must have read Alfie's thread

Glad the numbers are back in the good range.

Louise

Comment

"Tupperware" (boys!)
                      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I think Hank and Alfie are holding seminars on how to do this type of thing....

Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I think they must be!
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Annie must figure your meters needed a workout! She is a smartie!
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Not sure what it is about dogs, and bird food, but they just love. One of the reasons why I use millet to Abby's advantage.... if you can't beat them, join them.

Craig, you would mention occassionally that Annie would throw a high number, perhaps you know the reason why?
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Since she is so well regulated I bet part of you was glad you could pull out all the meters and compare them in that range.
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X