Switching from Vetsulin to Humulin N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Vetsulin to Humulin N

I have an 11 year old mut. About 2 years ago we discovered he had diabetes. From the get go the vet said it was mandatory to take him off all food and place him on the Hills brand for glucose. It is like $80 a bag. He also has him on 12 units of Vetsulin once a day. I tried to get a prescription so I could get the Vetsulin elsewhere but he won't do it. I have been reading a lot about switching your dog to Humulin N. I plan on getting the Glucose monitor. I plan on giving him 12 units of a U100 syringe when I switch to the Humulin N. IS there anything that can help me transition better? I also want to put him on regular dog food. Is that possible as well?

Re: Switching from Vetsulin to Humulin N

Welcome to the forum.
    First, both Vetsulin and NPH insulins, like Humulin-N and Novolin-N, seem to do much better if given twice a day, 12 hours apart after meals.

How much does your pup weigh? It might be safer to start from scratch and not go by the previous Vetsulin once a day dosage. A general starting dosage of NPH insulin is 0.2 units per pound, using a U-100 syringe, twice a day. This would only be a starting dosage and you would have to be home blood testing to really go forward.

By the way, most would use Novolin-N instead of Humulin-N because of the price difference. Novolin-N can be bought at Walmart for about $25 for 1000 units. Note that the size of the bottle is the same size as Vetsulin, but because it’s U-100 insulin it is much stronger than the U-40 Vetsulin. Be SURE to use U-100 syringes that can also be inexpensive at Walmart. Some locations require prescriptions, other locations don’t.

Craig
    Last edited by CraigM; 10-18-2018, 09:37 PM.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

It is not mandatory to feed the prescription food. Just about every dog on here eats something different. It's whatever works for your dog.

It's generally best to find a lower fat food, with moderate fiber and protein. And make sure it has some good carbs.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

My dog would not eat prescription food. She lived almost 9 years with diabetes so it is entirely possible. The key is moderate protein, low fat and moderate carbs. There are so many possibilities out there with commercial food so don’t feel like there aren’t. Her last food was Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Legume dry with Weruva wet food. But you can top any dry with boiled chicken. It helps make the dry more palatable.

The glucose balance food has worked well for some. Keep in mind our dogs are individuals and there is not a one size fits all plan. There are many ways to manage diabetes.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
        X