Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Good to hear that Annie is doing so well except for her eye! Way to go, Annie!

I don't even want to think of how much I've spent on Hank over the years...I've had him almost seven years, little over four years of which was diabetes. Last three years was levamir at 300 every five months. So can just imagine how much if added with everything!

Worth every penny tho, aren't they?
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

The vet did say "tumor", but I'm thinking it's more like a small growth. Is there a difference? Tumor sounds very serious, but the vet said it in almost a passive way. Like we could have it removed with the eye if we wanted, but no worries if we desided not to. Now I'm worried

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

thats the impression i got from your post no big deal . i think you need more of a clarification on what this is and a real analyst of the risks and rewards of having surgery or just leave it alone

in the end there isnt a wrong or wight answer but whats best for you guys as a family unit
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I think you do need some more clarification on what the vet meant with his words. Small growth, tumor, lump, etc...all could be bad...but all could be good, too! I know Hank had odd lumps here and there which always made me a little nervous but were just fatty lipomas...I called them his old people bumps.
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Sorry to report that I haven't checked back with the eye vet about the growth. It doesn't appear to be getting any bigger, or giving Annie any trouble so we are leaving things alone for now (the $800 estimate may have something to do with our decision).

Now for the current question. 14+ year old Annie is getting stiff. The first 10-15 steps after getting up from one of her many naps takes forever. She can still play, but at a s l o w e r pace. Any suggestions for something OTC to bring a spring to her step? She is currently getting a glucosamine / chondroitin tablet (100mg), 81mg "baby" aspirin, and 500mg fish oil. Sorry, I won't share my wine!

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

i improved my joint pain through diet lots of vegetables and fish

maybe some dogie yoga to loosen up haha but you maybe able to stretch her a bit some message , the doc has my mom use heat and cold

dont think there is any miraculous way but some little things may help and you are doing some of that

maybe not the joint but possibly the muscles who knows for sure and annei isnt talking
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Yea, I've done a little puppy massage that seems to help. I just don't want to make this a habit! She can still be sooooo demanding!

Craig

Comment

I had a JRT who had severe hip dysplasia. He was on several drugs and was still having problems.

One thing I did try on him that I really noticed a difference was....
                  "Bell Shark Cartilage Joint Relief". I sprinkled half a capsule on his food (2 meals daily). After about 3 days I noticed him feeling so much better.
                  He was feeling so good that I started worrying that he would hurt himself running around. Brutus was not diabetic, so I don't know if this would affect BG.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Carol & Milo View Post
                    I had a JRT who had severe hip dysplasia. He was on several drugs and was still having problems.

One thing I did try on him that I really noticed a difference was....
                    "Bell Shark Cartilage Joint Relief". I sprinkled half a capsule on his food (2 meals daily). After about 3 days I noticed him feeling so much better.
                    He was feeling so good that I started worrying that he would hurt himself running around. Brutus was not diabetic, so I don't know if this would affect BG.

Carol
                    Thanks. I'll look into this more.

Craig

Comment

• Holiday blood glucose

Wonder if anyone else saw a big jump in blood glucose readings on Christmas Day, and the day after? Annie had been testing in the 100-250 range for awhile, then BLAM 400+ on Christmas evening. No food was dropped, but we had a house full of people and Annie was on "the move" all day long. She tested mid 300s this morning (26th), so the BGs might be returning to her normal range.

I'm guessing the higher activity level yesterday used up the morning insulin causing the high evening reading.

Craig

Comment

Maybe some guests were slipping her some treats???
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

she definitely keeps you on your toes

sounds like she had a good time

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                            Maybe some guests were slipping her some treats???
                            No, don't think so. Everyone knows that would be a no-no. Really think that the insulin was used during the day feeding her muscles, keeping her walking around and not spending as much time lying around. O'well, I'm sure she, and others, will get back to normal in a day or two.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                              No, don't think so. Everyone knows that would be a no-no. Really think that the insulin was used during the day feeding her muscles, keeping her walking around and not spending as much time lying around. O'well, I'm sure she, and others, will get back to normal in a day or two.

Craig
                              Hope Annie has settled back down. Lily is basically in search of food all the time and it was my job on Christmas to keep her away from counters and tables. She still managed to grab and swallow part of the plastic ham wrapper and also stole a cookie and a large chocolate covered pretzel. and, oh, the wrapper came out the next morning! :
                              Last edited by MikeMurphy; 12-27-2015, 12:29 PM.
                              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                              Diabetes: Aug 2013
                              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                                Hope Annie has settled back down. Lily is basically in search of food all the time and it was my job on Christmas to keep her away from counters and tables. She still managed to grab and swallow part of the plastic ham wrapper and also stole a cookie and a large chocolate covered pretzel. and, oh, the wrapper came out the next morning! :
                                Annie is back to normal, BG wise. 146 last night and 102 this morning, and back to sleeping which is typical of a 14 year old

Larger pups, like Lily, can get into more mischief because they can reach counters and tables Gotta love them!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X