Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Eddie is still doing well, especially given all his ailments. I am toying with trying to move him to raw feeding (using a commercial "complete" raw food to get consistency). When we fed him raw years ago, his itchiness got much better. We had to change to kibble because of his EPI but now we could revert to raw because he has different enzymes.

Millie our little terrier caught a big rabbit yesterday. She's a proper terrier - loves digging and hunting - she often comes in with her mouth full of mud because she has been trying to eat her way right down a rabbit hole! I had to take the rabbit away from her as I was fairly sure that Eddie would eat the whole thing if he found it, and I wasn't sure what that would do to his blood sugar...

One of the others, Toby, showed us what different food can do to them. We'd been looking after a friend's dog which ate Bakers food (which doesn't have a great reputation here). Toby is old and fussy and really liked the Bakers so we changed him on to it thinking he might as well have food he really likes. He then started drinking like a fish and peeing all over the place. After we had paid a large vet bill for the happy news that his blood was completely normal in every respect, it dawned on us that it might be the food. We changed him back to his old food and the drinking and peeing have returned to normal - hurray!

And just so he doesn't feel left out, I have to mention Spangle as well, our lovely collie, who is obsessed with chasing squeaky balls and is otherwise nice and uncomplicated!
Antonia
Old 11-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Soaphie is hanging in there. She had a much much much needed shower last week and it was actually quite sad. Her hind legs are so weak when just standing - taking a shower was quite a struggle. Thankfully they support her enough to walk around the block when her blood sugar allows - but standing is a different story (weird). She has a good sniffer to find us given she cannot see/hear. Last Monday was 5 months since we lost Sydney and it really really really affected me. It's so odd, human emotions, one day/week you are fine - the next day - BAM - it's like reliving it all over again.

We miss Syd and are SO very thankful that Soaphie is doing as well as she is...

T
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 AM

Nice to hear what people are up to. Sonny, the diabetic rescue pug, is doing fine. Has to visit his doc this week for his annual shots. He goes for his 6 month post surgery eye exam on the 25th. I've been astounded he's had absolutely no post op issues with his eyes, ... grateful too.

He was a scrawny 18.4 lbs. when he arrived here, ... could visually count his ribs, 23.6 lbs. now. Looks much better.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Nice to hear what people are up to. Sonny, the diabetic rescue pug, is doing fine. Has to visit his doc this week for his annual shots. He goes for his 6 month post surgery eye exam on the 25th. I've been astounded he's had absolutely no post op issues with his eyes, ... grateful too.

He was a scrawny 18.4 lbs. when he arrived here, ... could visually count his ribs, 23.6 lbs. now. Looks much better.
Can we see some pictures of Sonnyboy?
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
Can we see some pictures of Sonnyboy?
Sure, ... took some Saturday and was wondering why they were so lousy. Turns out I had the macro setting on.

I'll get some tomorrow when he's in one his sun spots. Too late today, his sun spots are almost gone for the day.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Greetings everyone. Just an update on Scooter. He just had his 3 1/2 year anniversary of his diagnosis on Nov. 2nd. He's doing very well although he's getting a little picky at meal time. I just add a little Romano cheese to his Blue Buffalo and he gobbles it up. Other than an occasional bout of diarrhea (for which there is no apparent cause) all is well. Thanks for being here. I visit the forum every day.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:27 PM

Hi Everyone,
It's been a long time since I visited the forum. There have been too many things going on. Thankfully, all is well now. I wanted to touch base and see what was new with you and your fur babies and then saw this thread.

Autumn is doing great. She turned 10 in June. She has small cataracts for some time now but they have not grown. She's picky eating at times. She has trained me well for that extra something in her meal...so we work it out. Other than the lyme a few years ago, just minor issues, thankfully. She still has a puppy spurt now and then.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I want to say so many things to the updates here, but am falling asleep at my computer tonight. Anna, it's so good to see you here again. I think of you and Audy often.
Patty
Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Amydunn, yes women are at risk too so be careful.
This isn't about my pup but I fursat my sons 10 month old Great Dane after being spayed. She is such a sweet girl but after having a yorkie it was like having a horse in the house. With that huge cone everything downstairs got rearranged.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:16 AM

Hi all

Just wanted to drop by and let you know that JoJo is doing well. He seems to be pretty stable right now.

Every once in a while he will run an isolated high or low I swear he just wants to make sure that I am paying attention. He is completely blind now but is handling it very well and is happy and active.

Jenny I had to laugh at the visual of a huge great dane walking around with a giant cone on his head.

Mary