Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Medications and Pharmacy Information

Medications and Pharmacy Information Anything related to medications for diabetes and other conditions

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Founding Member

Talking Metacam liquid pain medicine

Thought I'd post this at this site.

For over 2 yrs I was buying the Metacam Liquid Pain Med from the vet at a cost of $80.00 to $90.00 per bottle, the vet in all that time never told me I could buy the tablet form at Walmart.

(I discovered this doing a search on the generic name on Walmarts site, generic name is meloxicam and it is a human medication for pain.)

Anyway your vet can give you a RX for it.
Make sure the RX is for the 7.5 mg tablets, you give your dog 1/2 a tablet once a day, maybe less for a smaller dog.

This worked well for my dog who was 16, she took it for 2 yrs, she crossed the bridge last August.

My other dog Chief has been taking the tablets for 2 yrs now also, I always make sure to give when he eats, I have had no problems with this pain med.

I had problems with Rimadyl with my poor old German Shepard who was 18, he had internal bleeding, of course it could have been his age also.

I have given it to Niki also, earlier when she first went blind she bumped into a few things and hurt her leg, so I gave her the meloxicam with no problems. ( I did call the vet first)

Some dog owners have problems with this drug, but its been AOK with my dogs.

So don't think you need to spend alot of money on the liquid med, with 2 of my dogs taking it at $80.00 back then that was alot of expense. Now its $90.00 here in PA, I did find the Metacam cheaper at Dr. Foster and Smith, but maybe $10.00 cheaper, the tablets were a lifesaver
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Metacam liquid pain medicine

Hi Niki!

This is great to know! Both my boys take Metacam...I had no idea it came this way. When we need a refill, I am definitely asking for a script. This works so well for both of their arthritis when they need it.
I have never had a problem with it either and it really works the best.
Rimadyl gave Bailey seizures...I will never ever touch it again!!!
Thanks for the great info!!!!
Beth, Scooter and Bailey
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Founding Member

Glad you seen the info, the vets don't want you to know things,

I have to call the vet to get an increase in Chiefs pills, he was on 1/2 a day the 3.2 or a 1/2 of tablet, but now i have to give him 2 halfs a day, she only gave me a rx for 15 pills at a time figuring the breaking in half. but he needs the increase, if she asks to bring him in I think i will go nuts, being he was just there for his nail trim and the tech's seen how he is walking.

Its getting hard on Chief now, his left leg was the bad one and now from putting the presuure on his right leg, that is starting to give out. Chief is such a mellow, happy dog, I hope he can make it thru summer, I dunno, I just hate these decisions!!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Founding Member

Hi,
Just wondering about the size of Metacam you were paying $70+ for. I am interested in comparing to prices here.
Thanks
Jenny & Buddy
Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Administrator

We've used Metacam 1.5mg/mL liquid for over two years and the price is well over $90 for a 100 mL bottle here in California.

Besides the fact that it has worked very well for Chris, he's willing to lap it up out of a dish. With so many pills to give him every day, that's a big plus for us.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Founding Member

I can't get metacam other than at a vets and I have to pay around $70 for the 32ml size and over $130 if I want the 100ml. Not fair.....
Jenny & Buddy
Closed Thread