Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And another big question in here!

Hi Shell
    I will leave the experts give that advice. Believe me, I had my own struggles with Buddy. What I learned through my own experience is that there are so many variables that you need to take into consideration. Once you have your routine down path and you get to know what affects (or doesn't affect) your dog, then things go well.

I tried to keep Natalie and Patty's words of wisdom in mind. <It is a race between the food and the insulin< and I simplified it in my own little mind to interpret that as keeping the race <fair<. Insulin racing alongside food

If you walk him after the injection and Mr. Pickypants is the type of dog whose numbers go down with exercice, then giving him a bit of food after might work. If on the other hand, typically like many dogs, he goes up after a meal and injection and it is not part of your routine to walk him afterwards, to throw more food at him will bring up the numbers even higher. That's what I mean by keeping the <race fair>.

Other than having many medical problems some of them which affected my Buddy's digestion and numbers, he was also affected by hot weather, changes in atmospheric conditions, allergies and infections. So keeping all these factors in mind, that's why consistency in feeding time, and quantity of food, injection immediately after became so important (at least I could control this).

Good luck
    Louise

Comment

Re: New to Diabetes

Hey Shell, I can understand how confusing it all can be---I have tried tons of dif home BG devices and the best one for us is the One Touch Ultra Mini used with a lancet from walgreens that allows me to adjust the level of poke (1-5) when the dogs ears are warm you will get a better prick of blood. The strips tend to be pricey, but peace of mind is worth it. I usually test him before each shot.

I have never heard of anyone giving their dog more than 2 shots a day at feeding time. it might take a while of home testing before you get it regulated, but it WILL happen!

My dog bites, so I have to muzzle him to give him a shot. I put his butt on my lap, hold his back legs with my left hand to steady him so he wont squirm, and poke him with my right. After months of trying dif ways this seems to work the best. I hope you find support and help here. I give little howie a shot at 7am and at 5:30 pm. This works best with my schedule and his. I had thought it would be every 12 hours, but he cant wait to eat and his numbers rise to high to wait the full 12. Good luck with it, and it is so worth it, i will all become a routine for you soon, and both of you wont even think twice about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Poodles View Post
        Welcome to the forum! We are using the W/D for Jenny but she is ravenous and will eat anything.

I've been trying to feed her non-diabetic brother the same thing because he really needs to lose weight but he has turned picky on me!

Jenny's eye doctor, who sees a lot of diabetic dogs prefers the Purina OM. It doesn't look as disgusting as the WD but Ranger hated it too. Just a thought though!

I think Yunhee uses a tablespoon of catfood to tempt her Harry, you guys are so smart! I've read of other people baking or barbecuing the W/D

My vet says that picky eaters are the hardest dogs to regulate. I hope you find something that works!
        I feed my howie WD but kick in a tablespoon of EVO mix it into the wet food so he will like the WD---it works and EVO is straight protein so he loves the taste!! I also put a bit of water on the food -this will make the dog FEEL fuller since I also deal with a ravenous dog.

Comment

How are things going? Any better luck with twice-daily meals?

Depending on how Mr. Pickeypants (LOL) does with injections, you could theoretically do two injections - a small amount at the first food he eats and a second small injection if he eats some more. I would try to keep the whole process within 1 hour.

But you might find that picking up the food 30 minutes after it's offered and not offering any more until dinner will eventually give him the message that he has to eat it while it's out there.

They can usually have anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the usual dose (for a fairly well-regulated dog) if they eat nothing at all.

As for vacations, I can't offer direct experience. Long before Chris was a diabetic, we went on a 3-week vacation and left him with a house sitter who spent each night there, let him sleep in the bed, etc. He was so depressed when we got back that we promised never to leave him again. And didn't.

But others I have known have had a skilled house sitter, had a vet tech for a house sitter, or have boarded their dogs at the vet while they were gone.

We took Chris 1,200 miles one way on a road trip with us. Wasn't a vacation as I was attending a funeral. But Chris did very well with the traveling despite his many meds and special diet and roadside insulin injections.

http://www.dogjaunt.com/2010/05/taki...-diabetic-dog/

Natalie

Comment

Re: And another big question in here!

Originally posted by buddingartist View Post

Other than having many medical problems some of them which affected my Buddy's digestion and numbers, he was also affected by hot weather, changes in atmospheric conditions, allergies and infections. So keeping all these factors in mind, that's why consistency in feeding time, and quantity of food, injection immediately after became so important (at least I could control this).

Good luck
            Louise
            Hi Louise!

I love the idea of a race between food and the insulin! So far it's not working too badly. He eats his main food then gets his injection and then he gets his treats for the injection. Usually sneaks a bit of cat food at this point and gets a piece of dried duck strip. All within about an hour. Seems to work most of the time.

Shell and Hank
            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi all! Such great ideas from all! We seem to be doing ok. His numbers are still too high...396 fasting and over 500 after food so the vet upped his insulin to 4IU. Wants to take it slow. I'm good with that. We'll see how it works this coming Friday.

Still working on the blood drawing. Vet showed me a great spot in his ear and I did manage to get a spec from his lip! Talk about funny...Mr. Pickypants was a happy little camper with his Mama jumping up and down and going, "yay!" He thought he did something pretty fantastic...could tell he wasn't sure what...but didn't much care since he got a treat and lots of love and attention! Is it a sad life when this is the kind of thing that gets you hooting and hollering? LOL

Found a favorite cat food...what else...that he really, really likes...Paul Newman Organic... need to see if they have a dog food he might like. But at least he'll eat it if I mix it. Also working with Little Ceasar's Dog food. Sad commentary when he WON'T eat it with the EVO!!!! Every meal is an adventure...

Did find out one interesting thing the last few days...he will NOT eat without a walk first. Refused to touch it no matter what for over an hour this morning. Hurricane blowing out there...and he won't eat til he walks! XD Was an interesting walk to say the least. However...until I really get him going on the BG's...won't know what the actual effects are.

Vet agreed with me that doing a curve at this time won't really tell us much. His numbers are just too high. And I want to be able to do it at home. Will work on testing.

Louise...am going to try your consomme trick...and will add in some cooked chicken perhaps. *sigh* Whatever happened to the dog that would eat anything including the sofa? I apparantly didn't get one. LOL

Thanks all for the replies....such great thoughts and ideas!

Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants)
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                How are things going? Any better luck with twice-daily meals?

Depending on how Mr. Pickeypants (LOL) does with injections, you could theoretically do two injections - a small amount at the first food he eats and a second small injection if he eats some more. I would try to keep the whole process within 1 hour.

But you might find that picking up the food 30 minutes after it's offered and not offering any more until dinner will eventually give him the message that he has to eat it while it's out there.

http://www.dogjaunt.com/2010/05/taki...-diabetic-dog/

Natalie
                Natalie,

I think that worked today. He didn't eat his whole breakfast and he was HUNGRY by dinner. Ate everything. Even eyed the sofa! LOL Will keep trying.

Comment

One thing I did see which I'm not sure I understand is what rebound is. Anyone can explain?

And yay! We got a BG! And I'm very pleased since it was only 431 and that was after food! Since most of his after food bg's have been over 500...am thinking this is GREAT! We're getting somewhere!

Comment

GOOD JOB, Shell! You GOT blood for the test! Welcome to the Vampire Club!

Camellia from here on Earth beside me, and Kwali and Kumbi - distant relatives of Hank - all wave their Magic Wands in Hank's favor and in yours, and congratulate Hank and you too, on the success of a blood test!

We'll be watching, as always.

Love, hugs, licks and wags,
                    Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:53:07 (PDT)
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

rebound is a dramatic rise in blood sugar the body releases its stored supplies when it senses danger

going to low or what the body considers low or very steep drops a 100 points or more in a very short time maybe an hour

with jesse i use to see drops from 400 to 100 which saw very quick rises back up into the 400s there could be a form of mild rebounding where the body may have better control of the release seeing numbers not rise as high maybe high 200s or 300s

we can never be sure if this is happening but what i look at if numbers are much higher than before and no more food is added that extra sugar has to have come from somewhere so that is one possibility

other things can cause temporary release in blood sugar illness medication this could be a response from the body also

erratic numbers could also be poor digestion of food

the body needs to run well to have good regulation on all fronts it always amazed me how some dogs do so well so fast they must have very good health
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

There's a discussion of rebound here:
                        http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/somogyi.htm

Rebound isn't automatic when the blood sugar goes low or when it falls quickly, but it can happen. If a rebound occurs, there's a dump of glucose from stores through the liver so the blood sugar will rise very quickly. Plus hormones involves in the rebound can make the blood sugar either high or unstable for several days afterward.

Our dog, for example, had an ACTH stim test to see if he had Cushing's disease. That causes the same kind of jolt of cortisol that a rebound can. His blood sugar ran significantly higher for a full 48 hours after the test.

Natalie

Comment

What a thoughtful post you did for another newbie, Shell! You've come a long way already.

How is Mr. Pickypants (aka Hank) doing today?

Mary
                          Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                          Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                          Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Hi Mary!

Thanks...it helps a lot to know others are going thru the same thing!

Mr. Pickypants and I have graduated, of a sorts, to no more weekly bg testing at the vet's office. Apparantly, I'm doing a pretty good job of draining the little guy dry right here at home! My meter is coming up about 30 points higher than theirs but since I'm accounting for that...we'll be ok, I think.

We did get our first 266 reading today! Haven't seen that number since this all started so am VERY happy! Was a fasting and an hour after excercising one so yay!

On the food ....well...sigh...he has rightly earned his name...Mr. Pickypants. I'll probably start tossing in some chicken and see how that goes. I do need to learn more about food since it's SO trial and error right now with amount of food and what he eats. I'm not sure he'll ever cooperate completely so that might be a bit of an uphill battle.

Sadly, I am now focusing on the blindness issue. Gives me something else to worry about! As if I needed that! I just don't want it to happen! And it makes me angry that it might! And I can't fix it! He had cataracts when I got him so knew someday but darnit! Not yet! Of course..I'm getting all upset in advance and as I mentioned in my note to Car....Hank has no clue he has diabetes and is most def not worried about going blind.

And my goodness...I'm a babbler tonight! Hope things are well with you! Take care all!

Comment

Thanks, Shell, for responding. Congratulations on your successes! It's a relief when you begin to see things going better. Glad you've got the meter readings down. I was thrilled to have Ruffles' readings in the 200s, too, since she began in the 600s.

Don't know if this is an idea about his eating, but the little one I have now (who is not diabetic) has been a picky eater. If I give her a bite of something she likes--broccoli, even!--she will usually eat her kibble right after. You are right, though, it is trial and error until you hit something which works and is a good balance for a diabetic eating lifestyle.

I understand about blindness. Ruffles had cataracts b4 dx, so it was not related. She did quite well, even so. Izzy, the rescue, had cataracts when she was found. Took her to an eye vet who said she also has detaching retinas. It's a toss up as to which affects her enough to cause complete blindness. She is not a candidate for surgery because of the retina issue. I can tell she doesn't see much these days (which was expected), but it doesn't bother her. Like you and yours, it bothers us as owners. We know we can't do anything about it and wish we could.

Wishing the best for you and Hank!

Mary
                              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Shell

I just remembered another thing I tried with Buddy when he was going the <I'm not eating this crap< mood

After I had soaked the kibbles, I would add some tiny pieces of tuna. It was the low sodium packed in water, which I would again rinse before putting it in his food. Also cottage cheese has worked. Again..... sometimes.... hit and miss

Louise

Comment

Working...
                                X