Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Any suggestions are greatly appreciated 😨

Hi Gals,

I thought I would report back and ask a couple more questions if you don't mind. As I said in my last post, we saw the Vet and she was extremely happy with our progress. He previously was on 6 IU's in the morning and 5 IU's at night so she just increased the night one so he would be at 6 and 6 at both injection times. The hope is the extra unit at night will carry through to lower that first high morning reading but not change the others in the daytime that are okay. We need to do a curve tomorrow or Monday so we will see if there have been good results from the small change. The kibble she chose for him is Royal Canin Diabetic kibble and he seems to like it which is a huge plus as he wasn't a big kibble eater previously. I think he's probably so hungry that he would eat rocks if I put some chicken or beef on top of them. He gets half and half....1/2 kibble and 1/2 chicken or beef. Whenever I see boneless chicken on sale I buy multiple packs, divide them up and freeze them for future use. I'm happy that he is a smallish dog as the kibble is almost $50 for a 8lb bag! A big dog would finish it off in 3 days flat I bet but thankfully it will last us awhile.

The Vet called to say she had the results of the blood tests she did and while one of the liver enzymes had decreased, the other more important one had increased. She asked permission to do a couple more tests and depending on those results, she might do an ultrasound. She says she likes to test bit by bit in case the issue is found quite easily, and that way, keep expenses down but I think we are probably going to get the full package. Of course, Cushings is a strong possibility but there could be other problems as well.

With all these blood curves, we went through the test strips very quickly. I learnt not to stick the strip in until you had an adequate blood sample. Anyway, I searched around and read many people found good deals on eBay so I went and had a look. Between the base price plus shipping, most seemed to be around the same price but then I saw a deal of getting the entire kit including: meter, 130 lancets and a lancet device, and 75 test strips! It was just slightly higher than the other offers and I didn't really need a new meter but the 75 strips alone were cheaper than if I bought a vial of 50 and another of 25 with another vendor so I went ahead and purchased the whole kit. Finally it arrived in the mail yesterday and I went from estatic to angry/ upset in 30 seconds flat when I realized all the test strips had expired!! I was especially upset as the test strips were the only part of the kit I needed; I already had purchased a full kit from my Vet. Needless to say, I wrote a scathing email to the seller not knowing a copy also went to eBay...I was trying to decide if I should report them. Anyway, almost immediately I received an apology from the seller saying they had no idea the test strips expired and they hadn't intentionally sent it to me like that and would refund all my money, which they did. I got emails from PayPal a few mins later saying x amount had been deposited in my account.

During this, I googled to see if they really expired on the exact date and there were a lot of contrary comments. Some ppl said absolutely never use expired strips, others said to test them with the solution that comes in the box, some meters won't use expired strips and others said the strips are good for 6 months after you open the vial. It doesn't matter the expiration date, you must do it based on those 6 months. Any opinions?? I'd hate for them to be off especially during these important curves but I read the results from any strip can be off by 20%. Have either of you had experience with expired strips? Is eBay totally unreliable? Also, my Vet said the code for dogs is 20 on the AlphaTrak2 but I looked on the test strips they sent me and it has 2 totally different numbers. But then I looked at the vial the vet sent me and there were 2 numbers but neither of them were 20 either. Does that matter?? I wondered because I bought the first AlphaTrak2 in Canada, that meter and strips might have its own codes and levels and the one I bought on eBay might be completely different because it's American with its own codes etc. Would have the American test strips, if they weren't expired, even have worked with my Canadian meter? Is it universal or does every country have their own meters and strips that can't be exchanged??

As always, thanks for any info, suggestions or advice you could impart is greatly appreciated!
Julia
Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 AM

I have been following and reading posts here for a few months and have gotten some very valuable info. Im am little confused on posting but here goes....
Max is a 4 and a half yr old terrier mix. He was diagnosed around the first of March of this year. He is getting 5 units twice a day of Novolin N. He is always eager to eat, I have been feeding him Natures recipe grain free for small breeds. His bg has been on the low side and he's been going to the vet for the all day curve test about once a month. I have been thinking about getting a bg meter and doing the curve test myself. Any advice on what kind of meter I should purchase? Will I be able to get the same kind of accuracy as the vets office?
Thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
I have been following and reading posts here for a few months and have gotten some very valuable info. Im am little confused on posting but here goes....
Max is a 4 and a half yr old terrier mix. He was diagnosed around the first of March of this year. He is getting 5 units twice a day of Novolin N. He is always eager to eat, I have been feeding him Natures recipe grain free for small breeds. His bg has been on the low side and he's been going to the vet for the all day curve test about once a month. I have been thinking about getting a bg meter and doing the curve test myself. Any advice on what kind of meter I should purchase? Will I be able to get the same kind of accuracy as the vets office?
Thanks
Hi and welcome! Hopefully, a moderator will see this and create your own thread for you.

Getting a meter for Home testing is probably the best thing you can do for managing Max’s diabetes.

Most of us on the forum use human meters. In general, human meters test a bit lower than pet meters like the PetTest and AlphaTrak2, but that is not a problem in that we are looking for BG trends and they are very accurate at the lower BG levels. As far as human meters go, the OneTouch Ultra2 and OneTouch UltraMini are very popular. Personally, I use Walmart’s ReliOn Prime.

Also... test strips for human meters are less expensive.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 08-05-2018, 06:29 AM
Founding Member

I buy strips off ebay sometimes they were expired and they worked just fine

I did get a large batch that i got in the summer months years ago that were bad . They were slow to suck up the blood .Contacted the seller and like you refunded the money . Sellers do not want negative reviews so usually if you have a problem they will take care of it

When buying strips on ebay check expiration dates. if they they dont give them then message the seller Usually if its a deal to good to be true then the strips are probably expired

After that one and only episode with those strips that were faulty i theorized they got over heated by being in the mail system in the hot summer months so i order in fall and spring and order in bulk usually 600 strips at a time and try to make 2 orders a year . I do test to see if the strips are good out of the box and haven't had any problems since that one episode
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 AM

I use the Alphatrak. I bought a one touch that seems to read about 25-40 points lower than the Alphatrak when she’s under 250, but is all over the place on higher numbers. I still feel like I’m trying to perfect her doses so I’m only using the Alphatrak... even though I hate the cost of those strips.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Today is blood curve day and so far it hasn't gone well. I tried to use the lancet that came with the AlphaTrak2 kit and as usual, dialed up to 4 it wasn't working. I finally did the little needle hand poke. I got a tiny spot of blood with the lancet on attempt # 959 (jk) and the meter read 2.4. I didn't believe that was possible so I did the manual poke, got more blood and it was 32.4. I don't know if he was stressed with that lancet..we upped his insulin dose and his first reading was higher than last week's. Now my sister, who fed and gave his insulin, isn't sure the shot went in as his scruff was wet when she stroked him. I guess the next reading will tell us one way or another.

As far as the test strips on eBay, I wrote the seller a note immediately after opening the box, definitely let her know how upset I was especially after waiting for it to be sent from the US to Canada, going through Customs etc. I read that a lot of ppl used the expired strips anyway but we are trying to find the right dose of insulin so I don't want to take any chances of getting bad readings. I'm going to ask the Vet what she thinks about it. To use or not to use, that is the question! I told the seller that I wanted a refund immediately or proof that she was sending me a new batch otherwise I was reporting her to eBay. I didn't realize when I msgd her that eBay automatically got a copy of my note. Anyway, she apologized profusely, said she didn't know they were expired, in fact, she didn't know they could expire. I'm not sure if I believe her but she did refund my money immediately in full. I think she was worried about me writing a bad review, of telling potential buyers what had transpired and them not buying. From what I read afterward it's somewhat an open secret that most sellers are selling expired strips which is why the price is lower. In truth, the strips I saw advertised were not that much lower than the vet once the shipping to Canada is figured in so I might as well stick with buying them from her.

Raysaint, I know you are also in Canada, may I ask where you buy your insulin?? I tried to order some online...I found two suppliers but when I ordered it I received an email telling me they had problems with Canada Post getting it delivered within the 72hrs and they would only refund the shipping if it arrived late and was tainted. As it's summer and extremely hot in many places, I decided not to take the chance. I would love if my fellow Canadians would chip in on where they buy their supplies; it would help me enormously.

Susan M, welcome! I'm new to this too and trying to figure everything out...some lovely people here have been helping me. As far as testing at home, my Vet didn't really give me an option. She basically said Do it and I'm doing it LOL. Actually she said since we had a nervous nelly ( he hates going to the vet) that it would be hard on him if he had to stay 12+ hrs for them to do the blood curve and his readings wouldn't be accurate with all the stress added. Plus, having the Vet team doing it is costly and she doesn't want to charge clients a bundle for something they are capable of doing themselves. When I had read about canine diabetes and the blood curves, I thought to myself This is for the Vet to do; I know he is going to be too difficult for me to do at home. She shot that idea in 2 seconds flat. She said they do the curve for a couple of clients with special circumstances but otherwise, she trains all her clients how to do it. Trust me when I say it is hard at first (for some - me) but it gradually gets easier with time. He is used to it now and while he doesn't like getting poked, he knows it's going to happen one way or another. I see videos of other ppl testing their dogs and they all seem very cooperative and totally unfazed...we aren't there by a long shot but it is getting better. I use the AlphaTrak2 and from what I've read, it's a very good meter but the testing strips are very expensive. I almost cry when I don't get enough blood for a reading and have to use another 1, 2 or 3 strips at a dollar per strip. Anyway, I think anyone can learn to do it with a little patience and practice.

Thanks everyone for the help!