Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

I'm new also, and I'm learning that there are only baby steps when it comes to safe insulin dosing. One quick fix that lowers blood glucose levels is exercise. Since there is a specific time slot that you're particularly worried about, could you walk Tucker at that time every day?

Riley's blood glucose levels are higher in the evening. I wonder if there's a circadian timing thing going on?

"Time in the biological sense is measured by cycles that range from milliseconds to years. Circadian rhythms, which measure time on a scale of 24 h, are generated by one of the most ubiquitous and well-studied timing systems. At the core of this timing mechanism is an intricate molecular mechanism that ticks away in many different tissues throughout the body. However, these independent rhythms are tamed by a master clock in the brain, which coordinates tissue-specific rhythms according to light input it receives from the outside world." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12198538).

~Rosey

Last edited by O'Riley; 03-24-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM

Arrow Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

On circadian rhythms - Rosey, thanks so much for mentioning this and providing a link.

I think it's helpful to any Human Diabetic-Dog Parent to understand that such a thing is involved in our dogs' physiology and neurology. I think it helps us comprehend that day and night are different (! - haha!), and so, come to understand why blood glucose levels differ, day from night.

Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:34:26 (PDT)
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Riley View Post
I'm new also, and I'm learning that there are only baby steps when it comes to safe insulin dosing. One quick fix that lowers blood glucose levels is exercise. Since there is a specific time slot that you're particularly worried about, could you walk Tucker at that time every day?

Riley's blood glucose levels are higher in the evening. I wonder if there's a circadian timing thing going on?

"Time in the biological sense is measured by cycles that range from milliseconds to years. Circadian rhythms, which measure time on a scale of 24 h, are generated by one of the most ubiquitous and well-studied timing systems. At the core of this timing mechanism is an intricate molecular mechanism that ticks away in many different tissues throughout the body. However, these independent rhythms are tamed by a master clock in the brain, which coordinates tissue-specific rhythms according to light input it receives from the outside world." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12198538).

~Rosey
WOW!!! tHATS fascinating....I can take him for walks when he's high..thanks for the advice...
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Red face Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed:
Samson, lab mix 11 yrs

Weight:
80 lb

Diet:
Hills W/D dry and canned

Insulin:
Humulin N 17 units 2x day
every twelve hours

Brand of BG meter if home testing:
Use Urine test strips -
ReliOn ultima

3-15-2010 diagnosed new to this hopeful. completed some curves 180 to 450
Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Unhappy Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed:
Fuzzy (or FuzzButt, whichever works at the time) , black lab mix 15 yrs (16 in August)

Weight:
52 lbs, 65 before her medical problems began

Diet:
Whatever she’s willing to eat. She’s a very picky eater. Fuzzy has had IBD digestion issues for at least 6 months before being diagnosed with hyperglycemia last Saturday. She ate half a can of w/d and then refused to touch it. Some nights she’ll eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry and canned, other times I microwave oatmeal and chicken thighs with broccoli, or will scramble eggs and serve with ground turkey, oatmeal and some cottage cheese. She gets a multivitamin, SAM-E and standardized milk thistle capsules to control elevated liver enzymes. I’ll give about 3 oz of greek yogurt or cottage cheese with half a teaspoon of probiotics and enzymes powder. This morning, the yogurt was the only thing she would eat, which worried me greatly. I discovered slippery elm bark powder, and read that it’s good for pets and people with sore digestive tracts. I trekked out to the health food store this morning and got about 5 oz of the stuff. One teaspoon of the powder cooked with diluted chicken broth made a gooey “soup”, and can be given 4 times a day. She lapped it up readily. I’m hoping that it will help soothe her intestines enough to eat higher protein meals. Her regular vet is out until May.

Insulin:
Vetsulin, 6 units 2X a day.

Brand of BG meter if home testing:
None yet, still researching possible meters.

“And feel free to add any additional information.”

How much time do you have? LOL. Here's the short, short version.

I got Fuzzy as a 5 month old puppy when I was 11 years old. Except for a 4 year absence when I lived out of state, she has always been there for me. While I was away, she lived with my Grandma and developed large tumors and cancers on her legs and shoulder. We’ve had them removed, and other then that, has been pretty healthy her entire life.

December 2009, I found her laying in diarrhea and vomit. I thought she was dead, but as soon as I saw her breathing I got a harness on her and gently lifted her on her feet. She could barely walk, so I had to get her on a towel and pick her up and carry her. Once her vitals stabilized, she went in to surgery. The surgeon said she had the largest gallbladder he’s ever seen. Gallbladder, spleen, and a portion of her stomach were removed. Biopsies found no cancerous materials, but found she had inflamed an inflamed liver and intestines, and e coli in her gallbladder. The e coli found was resistant to most antibiotics except gentamicin and trimethsulfate or something like that. The TMS was prescribed for a couple of weeks, and then prednisone would be started after that for 3-4 months. An insane, bumpy ride with the prednisone and other issues would soon follow.

The side effects of these medications did more harm then good. The TMS made her anemic. The prednisone did strange things to her blood and enzyme levels. Not only has she refused to eat on and off again, she's got elevated liver enzymes and now hyperglycemia to worry about. I was poking around 1800 pet meds to find a multi-vitamin for Fuzz and discovered Marin. My vet told me that it was mostly silymarin, or milk thistle extract. SAM-e could also be used together, and both supplements have shown to reduce bad liver enzymes. I got those off Amazon.com, along with a probiotics and enzymes powder to try out.

One night, she began eating, drinking, and peeing like a horse. It was really, really scary. I took her in the next morning to get a full blood test, just like before. My regular doctor was out until May, but I went in anyway because I was afraid for my poochie.

Turns out, I had every right to be concerned. Her blood glucose level was so high it was off the charts, and was checked twice just to make sure the first test was a fluke. Off to the emergency vet again late in the afternoon. Her BG did not start to come down until 7 am the next morning, and was at 400. As that specific vet was only open 7-8 AM during the weekdays and 24 hours weekends, I had to go back and forth from the ER vet to my regular vet to get her BG lowered. Last Saturday, Fuzzy stayed about 24 hours to get a curve, and is due for another one in a week.

While my regular vet is awesome, she is not going to be back until May. I got to talk to the nurse when I got the Vetsulin and needles. She appeared to try to talk me out of doing at home blood monitoring, and if I’m worried I should just bring her in to the office. Pfft, please. I thought this was rather odd. Besides telling me how to administer the insulin, I’m pretty much on my own. I was told not to give any insulin if she would not eat. I tried to tell her that Fuzzy has had a history of not wanting to eat anything due to IBD. I figured out that cooking chicken, broccoli, eggs, and a small amount of oatmeal together would be the best thing for her before an insulin shot.
I am still looking in to the best lancet, monitor and strips to use. Stress, stress, and more stress all around. All of this is overwhelming to me.

However, one thing still keeps me going and that’s my dog. Yeah, she’s pretty old for a dog her size. But, she’s strong, and always has been. She’s not ready to go yet – there are still a lot of squirrels to bark at.
If you’ve read all of that, I thank you.

- Lynnie and Fuzzy

EDIT: Now I realized I posted a reply to one person, and not the OP. Oops. :P
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Bagel ( AKA Miracle Dog)

10 yr old Beagle/Basset

weight now 34 lbs. Down from 41 which was a good thing to do!
Back surgery in 2004. Doing fine since then with that.

Diagnosed with Cushings March 09
Bladder stone in August 09..dissolved hopefully.
Diagnosed with Diabetes Nov 09

Switched from Vetsulin which was never stable to Relion N ( Walmart brand of Novolin ) 3 months ago.
Currently 17 Units 2X a day ...BG averages 300...has gone to mid 200s but not in a couple of weeks.
meter: One Touch Ultra
VERY healthy...much more mobile now that she lost the weight
takes Lysodren for the Cushings 3 X a week...1375 mg total
SAM-e daily to protect her liver
1 daily Synovi for joints
10 mg pepsid generic to protect stomach from the Lyso
food: each meal 1 C Purina DCO and 1/4 cooked chicken breast
treats: one small milkbone at shot time
occasional steamed broccoli.
BATHED IN MUCH PRAYER DAILY
Sande

Last edited by Bagel's Mom; 04-23-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Dog's Name: Jess or J-Dog
Sex: Female
Breed: Staffy / Ridgeback cross
Age: 10, we think..maybe 11.. haven't had her all her life.
Current weight: 22kg
Weight when diagnosed: 21kg
Average weight: 25kg
Diagnosed with diabetes June 14th 2010

Insulin: Caninsulin, 10.8 units twice daily

Food: w/d dry with some chicken & home made broth (water added to pan to gather juices) - 1.5 cups of food with the chicken added, twice a day.

Treats: 4 small liver chips a day (1 before and 1 after needle).... i tried a veg ear today and she enjoyed that, but i'm watching her closely at the moment because she's newly diagnosed.

Still working on getting regulated. Not yet doing home testing.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Hi all. New to this forum, but not new to K9 diabetes.

Dog's name: Darla
Dog's breed: Black Lab
Dog's age: 11 years old
Dog's weight (pre-diagnosis):101 lbs
Dog's current weight (following diagnosis and treatment): 66 lbs
(Boy how I wish I could lose 35 lbs )
Date Diagnosed: May 2005

Diet: Hill's Science Diet Light dry (Upon comparing w/d to the Light, it is very similar in makeup and saves me alot of $$$) and can food; 1 1/2 cup dry and 1 can wet in the AM; and 1 cup dry only in PM
Insulin: Vetsulin
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 36 units in the AM after meal
Brand of BG meter if home testing: Previously Accu Chek Active, but recently changed to the ReliOn Ultima when my Accu Chek stopped working. I don't like the ReliOn because the stick must be inserted into the machine when you collect the sample. With the Accu Chek, I could collect the sample on the stick, then insert it into the machine. I will probably be changing meters again shortly. Any recommendations????

So glad I found this forum. It definitely helps to find some support from those who actually treat and manage this disease with their sweet pets.

Lisa
Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Name: Rudy
Breed: Shitzu
Weight pre DX (4/10): 23
Weight now: 22
Diet: Hills WD
Insulin: Humulin NPH 6 units x2 - moving to Relion
Testing: Urine test strips
Treats: Chicken nibbles - Rudy runs to get his shots so he can have his treat afterwards
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Dog's name, breed: Frannie, lab mix
Dog's weight: 81 lbs
Diet: DCO 2 cups 2 times daily
Insulin: Humulin N
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 16 units 2 time daily
Brand of BG meter if home testing: Bayer Contour

Last edited by Frannie03; 07-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.