Eddie Bear, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Eddie Bear, RIP

Yesterday we had to say goodbye to our lovely Eddie Bear. He had coped amazingly well with a number of ailments but this last battle, against old age, was the one he could not win.
    He had become increasingly fragile over the past few months, with his legs weakening and collapsing under him. We had a bad night on Sunday with him clearly uncomfortable, although he would settle down when I cuddled him; in the morning he collapsed several times as his legs just kept giving way. He had been struggling with yeast overgrowth affecting his skin and hair and had grown many cyst lumps, one of which had got very big and just become infected, and he then stopped eating too. He and we knew it was time to say goodbye.
    He went very peacefully and with our arms around him and my tears falling onto him. We are very sad and miss him terribly but we are grateful for the thirteen years of joy and happiness he gave us.
    Antonia
    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

So sorry to see this, Antonia. With you, he was being cared for at a very high level which I'm sure he knows. No doubt he left you a treasure trove of memories to keep you until you meet again.

You, and yours, have my deepest condolences and Godspeed to good boy Eddie.
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

So sorry to hear of Eddie Bear's passing. May your memories bring you comfort and ease the pain of your loss.

Comment

Antonia,

Oh my, I am so very sorry to hear this. Sweet Eddie - what an amazing story - you just handled his diabetes so well and Eddie is an inspiration to so many. Quite ironic that June 20, 2016 was the day we let Maggie go. It was a hard day for certain.

I know it is so painful when we have fought so hard and analyzed every move. Time will ease some of the tremendous grief but this road is not easy. I am always here if you need me!

Fly free, Eddie and a huge hug to you, my friend.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about Eddie. This is always so hard. (((Hugs))) and prayers to you and your family.
            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

you have received over 4 years of bonus time with your Eddie as when you first entered the forum things look kind of bleak but you and eddies had other ideas about that and you 2 went to work getting him back to enjoying life and your joy to watch him rebound to his old self .

jesse had an episode a couple weeks ago and i had that feeling time was fleeting for her being almost 13 with the other challenges she has but she rebounded but as with eddie you new the clock was ticking and both of you knew it was time the hardest but greatest gift you can give to a suffering furry friend . i just hope i will have the same fortitude you had for eddie

take care antonia you have been a real asset on the forum for dogs that have gone a similar path as your eddie and shows they can live a long happy dogs life even with these challenges
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Very sorry to read about Eddie. We've been following his story and the great advice that you have provided on the forum. Run free Eddie.
                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

antonia, I am so so sorry. Eddies story has helped so many. Big kisses to Eddie in heaven.
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

My condolences on the loss of Eddie. I have a 14 yr. old that has all the same issues you described Eddie had. His back legs collapse more frequently. I know I will be facing the same awful decision soon.

You had many wonderful years with Eddie Bear and gave him additional time by treating his diabetes. He will always be with you.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

Ah, Antonia... I'm so sorry to learn of Eddie's passing. I know how hard it is when you have won battle after battle after battle to finally face one you cannot win. Your deep love for him has always been obvious from your posts.

Sending a kiss skyward to him and our hug to you and yours.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you all for your kind replies. I do feel a real part of a community on here - of people who know what it is like to become exceptionally close to your dog because you are so involved in keeping him well.

Thanks again for all the support over all the years
                        Antonia
                        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Oh Antonia! I can't believe I missed this! I am so very sorry to read about Eddie. 😢 I've always thought he and Vinny were a lot alike. I remember awhile ago, you posted about Eddie being able to tell time and I got such a chuckle. I swear Vinny's got a watch on him under his fur sometimes! Maybe it's a lab thing.

I sorry. I wish there was more I could say to help. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
                          Mel
                          Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Since the passing of Jake, I don't come to the forum as much. I am so sorry to hear that Eddie had passed. Run free sweet Eddie.

Jake
                            13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                            At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Antonia,

I am so sorry to have logged in and to see that Eddie lost his battle. Your love for him shone through all your posts, and you helped so many with your wisdom.

May you carry him always in your heart, as I know you will.
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks for those comments. This is such a lovely community!
                                We miss Eddie very much but we do have happy memories of him to mix with our sadness.
                                Antonia

Comment

Working...
                                X