Geoff: A question about meter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff: A question about meter problem

Hello, I have a problem whereby neither my vets blood glucose metre or my blood glucose metre can read my dogs blood. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes in December last year. The vet said they tried the machine (handheld accu-chek) and it did not work. They went and bought another tester with the same results. They have to use the lab machine to obtain results. I thought this was weird so I bought a accu-chek perfoma last Friday and tested it on myself and my wife with results as expected. I tried my dog, with a drop of blood from his upper lip and it returned a E1, E5 and E6 error (we tried this 4 times!) it appears the vets hand-held and my hand-held meter do not work on my dogs blood. The vet advises me that it DOES work on other dogs!

Now, my dog has had epilepsy (he is 9.5 years old now) since he was around 2. To treat this he is on phenobarbitone and Potassium Bromide tablets twice a day. My vet seems to think this could be interfering with his reading via the hand-held meter. But, it does work on other dogs. So, I am left without really knowing how my dogs curve is going in the evening or away from the vet. His last reading was: (in mmol/l)

37.6 8:30am
    15.59 at 10:30am
    10.64 at 12:30pm
    8.3 at 14:30
    13.5 at 16:30

I am now feeding him every 12 hours, prior to that it was approx 8am then approx 6:30pm (food then insulin) I am now feeding approx 8am and approx 8pm (+- 10mins or so) He has also recently been diagnosed with cushings disease but he is only borderline. He is also on pred forte for his cataracts and there is a chance he will lose his eyes. He also has pancreatitis! My little dog has it all!

My question is WHY is the hand held device not reading my dogs blood? Is it the accu-chek so human calibrated it will simply not register? I am going to borrow another brand to try that but I am at a loss since it SHOULD be reading blood glucose in the blood!!

Any advice or help would be appreciated if anyone know why this could be happening, it is weird.

Thanks,

Geoff
    Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma
Working...
X