Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: possibly diabetic maltese!?

you may have caught it early which is kind of rare so i think a home cooked low glycemic diet may work for a period . it can all end tomorrow or go on for years

most dogs are treated as type one diabetic where there body doesnt really produce any insulin

we have seen some dogs only needing one shot a day for life showing they are maybe a type 2 and the body needing a bit of help keeping blood sugar adequate

there is no medication for type 2 diabetic dogs as you see in humans and really no information on it . it could be temporary as with some pancreatic problems or some other medical issues . we see in unspayed females with gestational diabetes flowing in and out of being diabetic when they go in and out of heat .

your testing so you will be able to know. a full blood panel maybe appropriate and placing emphasis on the pancreas . some dogs have miner symptoms from pancreatitis and a inflamed pancreas can have an affect

i believe my jesse became diabetic from pancreatitis
Old 11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo887 View Post
Realized I made a mistake on my last post. It was 291, not 201.
Took it first thing this morning and it was 160.

Thanks again all. Going to try some homemade cooking for him today!
I'm probably going to receive some good natured disagreement with this, but I wonder if home cooking is really better than feeding a good quality dog food? I'm sure there are certain reasons that some may do better with home cooking, but my (limited) experience just wasn't worth it.

My biggest problem was making each meal EXACTLY the same as the next. Did I use the same cut of meat, with the same amount of fat content? If the recipe called for potatoes, did each portion have the exact same amount? Same concern for the other ingredients; was each meal identical? Now, to keep Annie's meals as close to the same as possible, I weigh her kibble with a food scale.

We home cooked for a few months early in Annie's diabetes and her BGs were all over the range. Of course, I don't know if the problem was with our preparation, or because it was just early in her treatment that caused the wide swings in BG readings. Possibly other pups wouldn't have the same reaction with slightly different content.

I also may be naive and believe the dog food advertisements. They just make their recipe sound so good!

Give home cooking a try, no harm in trying, but if you see big swings in BG keep in mind meal repeatability MIGHT be part of the reason.

COMMENTS???

Craig
Old 11-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Once again, thanks all!

Im going to try the home cooking for now, until the vet recommends what kind of dry food to eat. Right now hes on a healthy weight dry food, so im going to mix in some home cooked food with that.

Im really really hoping he will not need insulin, and maybe a more active lifestyle (he barely gets any exercise any more because of my impairments, I can barely walk for 5-10 minutes in a controlled environment) and healthier diet. My issue is of course his health, but also money. Something I have very little of being out of work right now. Yes, my wife works, but its tough running a house on one income, especially with all of my medical bills. But I guess when it rains, it pours! Im just really hoping that more activity, and healthier foods can prevent him from needing insulin as I just cannot afford it right now. The vet is already telling me we will do the blood work tuesday, and show me how to do insulin ect, and ill have to come in twice a week for a few weeks to monitor it, each time I go is more money we dont have. I know its horrible to say, because hes my best buddy and a family member, but I cant afford it. Hopefully ill be able to figure it out though, as I have no choice for my good boy Ace!

Hes so used to getting a lot of pupperoni, beggin strips, and beneful baked delights. I will openly admit, I abused them this past year with my injury and not being able to think. Hopefully getting rid of those can help a ton. I think he feels as though hes being punished right now by not getting excessive amounts of treats, but he will learn. I just keep praising him in the meantime to help out.

I took his Bg again at 11, and it was 164. So after eating scrambled eggs and healthy weight dog food he only raised 3 points.

My wife told me that the 291 reading could be her fault. As she had a brain fart and gave him a big ol pupperoni! She didnt even break it up into small pieces like I normal do. D'oh!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Understand your financial concerns.

Since you haven't started insulin injections yet, you might want to advise the vet you want to try Novolin-N insulin if insulin is required.

There are two common insulins used in the U.S. for dogs: Vetsulin and NPH insulin (Novolin-N and Humulin-N are the most common brands of NPH). Vetsulin is specifically made for dogs and many vets select this. At about $60 per 400 unit vial it can become expensive. Novolin-N is a human insulin that most (but not all dogs) can use. Novolin-N bought at Walmart (special contracted price) is only $25 for a 1000 unit vial, so if a pup can use it it is much less expensive.

Whatever insulin is selected, be sure the vet explains which syringe to use. Vetsulin and NPH insulins use different syringes and you want to have the correct syringe for the insulin being used.

Craig
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 AM

I understand finances as well. I would make it clear to the vet that you would like to try the Novolin N first because it is the most affordable at Wal Mart for $24 a vial. I use it and many others use it on here. For a long time, vetsulin wasn't available because they took it off the market so that should be no problem.

If your dog has diabetes, a healthy lifestyle will help but being type 1, he will require insulin. This likely was not caused by treats - more likely genetic makeup, prolonged steroid therapy, or pancreatic trauma are just a few reasons dogs develop this disease and some bad luck.

Throw those pupperoni's away!

There are many different diets out there - it is not required that you use the prescription diet. It may be that you can use what you have. The key to managing diabetes is balancing food and insulin. My advice would be find a food he likes that is not at the high end of fat or protein and just balanced well. Some carb is needed to work with the insulin so you shouldn't avoid carbs.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Sounds good, ill tell that to the vet when we go.

Took two more readings both just a bit under 200.

One thing to note again, hes 100% acting like his old self. Normal drinking, normal urination ect.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what are the chances all of this could be from a severe uti? Or, is it possible to fix this with a brand new diet? Just trying to see what sort of options we have. My main reason is after talking to the vet, she told me a completely different story than she told to my wife. Basically recommended every possible test in the book and xrays and ultrasounds. I also did a urine dipstick test, before it was showing positive, today it's showing trace.

Im just really confused at this point but obviously will continue with a healthier lifestyle and continue to monitor his BG.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:51 PM

To be honest, the BG readings in the 200s, and lower, without insulin is confusing. I think, generally, newly diagnosed diabetics have much higher numbers. It will be interesting what you find out at the vet visit.

One possible explanation is that your meter might be reading his blood much lower than true. I have a bunch of meters and all the human meters read Annie's blood lower than the doggie Alphatrak-2 meter. In fact, a 200 on my Relion Prime meter would be comparable to about 285 on the AlphaTrak-2 meter (I've run side-by-side tests on the same blood droplet). Possibly your meter has an even greater "error" with dog blood? Don't get me wrong, not saying your meter isn't good, just that it might be interesting if your vet would compare readings with both your meter and his meter so that you would know the difference. If he would compare for you, it should be done at the same time (same blood droplet if possible) because BG can vary over a short period of time.

Craig
Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 PM

My Sparky's blood sugar wasn't terribly high when he was first diagnosed - running in the low 200s, I believe. I think I caught him very early in his diabetes. As time went on, he did wind up having extremely high glucose at times. So it's entirely possible that you caught the diabetes as it is developing with your pup. You might find that his blood sugar becomes more elevated as you work toward regulating him, until you finally get to the correct dose.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:44 PM

I suppose there is always a chance it could be some kind of severe reaction to a very severe UTI but even if he doesn't have full blown diabetes, I would worry about his pancreas function and if by some crazy chance it is not diabetes and he goes back to normal, I would keep my eye on it as I think it won't be the last of it. I don't know if it is likely to be from this infection but that would certainly be good news if that was all it was.

In your shoes, I would start with the blood test to determine diabetes and then decide from there what tests might be appropriate. Honestly, there are worse things than diabetes - On one hand, I hope it is just diabetes and not something worse.

The healthy lifestyle is a good idea either way.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Ok this may sound crazy, and I was to embarrassed to tell the vet. Like I said, this could sound crazy so bear with me.

I suffer from multiple types of seizures. Most of them ace is ok with. Last month I started having a new type that I never had. I forget the medical name the neurolgist told me, but I call them rage seizures. Basically I scream violently for about a minute until I snap out of it. Ill also be super angry and antsy until I can rest for a while. Its the reason why I cant take care of my daughter myself and my mother babysits till the wife gets home.

Now heres the kicker, ace freaks out and instantly hides and pees everywhere. Most of my seizures are documented, but not all. My wife and I were going over it tonight, and this all started with ace shortly after I started these types of seizures.

Is it possible im creating some kind of anxiety that would cause his body to react like this? Of course I started a new seizure med the same day he had started his antibiotics. Ive had none of the rage seizures since, and his water and urine has returned to normal.

Maybe im grasping at straws, but its just something im wondering. Sadly my brain doesn't work like most peoples now adays, so when something gets on my mind, its a nonstop sticking point till I get answers.

Sorry if this post is out of line or context, just figured it was worth asking, before embarassing myself in front of vet on Tuesday.