Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Ace - Maltese diagnosed 11/2014

I think that you will only be using a small amount of wet compared to dry. Have you ever tried boiling some chicken and using chicken and the broth with his dry. It is cheaper than canned dog food and pretty appetizing as a topper. Or you could use some chicken and a bit of chicken baby food mixed as a topper. Just some ideas for saving money and keeping him happy.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:39 PM

Just had a brain fart. Gave ace his novelin n and dinner. Took his blood sugar 15 minutes later and it was 412. It takes about an hour or two to kick in right?

Ive also been contemplating giving him 3 units a shot instead of two. Lowest reading we have gotten with the alphatrek and his insulin is 200. Im think 2 units twice a day may not be sufficient.

Oh and my wife went online and bought the alphatrek 2 because the one we were given the screen broke. Do the freestyle light strips work on that too?

Last edited by kevbo887; 11-25-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM

Have you done a curve recently? It would be helpful to see Ace's pattern before raising his dose. A best case scenario would be a test immediately before eating and insulin, then tests every 2 hours for 12 hours.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 PM

The meter broke before I could get halfway through the curve. Going to try the curve on thanksgiving since we will be home all day. I have an mri and therapy tomorrow so I wont be able to check every 2 hours.

I just fear that im hurting his chances if its still so high. Also im assuming the vet knows what she is doing by saying 2 units twice a day. Hes 16 lbs. not sure if theres a specific requirement per weight/doseage.

Last edited by kevbo887; 11-25-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 PM

While its concerning to us when they are high, or doesn't seem to impact them. Check his urine for ketones, otherwise slow and steady does the trick. That being said, it is SO hard to be patient. Yes the strips should work on the new meter and really, 200 is not too high. To give you some perspective, Charlie ran in the 400's or higher for what seemed forever
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Last edited by Charlie's mom; 11-25-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Ok thank you. For some reason I was under the impression it was you give them insulin and within days everything is fine.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 PM

It's extremely rare that a dog is well regulated on the first try. Getting Ace to the right dose is going to take some time. I think the average time I've seen is several months. Some dogs take much longer.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo887 View Post
Ok thank you. For some reason I was under the impression it was you give them insulin and within days everything is fine.
Wouldn't that be nice? I guess there might a dog, or human diabetic, somewhere where that happened - but NOT LIKELY.

Although Annie has been on the same food (weighed to a 1/10 of an ounce) and basically the same insulin dosage for several years, I still blood test at least twice a day.

Two units for a 16 pound pup is probably a conservative STARTING dosage. A general rule-of-thumb is to start at about .2 units per pound, so 16 X .2 = 3.2 units (rounded down to 3 units). Of course some vets are more conservative and might start at 2 units, it's better to under-dose and slowly work up to a better dosage. Generally, we recommend 5-7 days at a dosage, then do a 12 hour curve. Evaluate the curve and make an adjustment if needed. This adjusting procedure will likely take several steps.

Also remember the two meals should be consistent during this time. If you feed more / less food, different foods, or between meal snacks / treats during the regulation process that could make things more difficult.

This might sound complicated, but it's really not so hard. We just need to keep everything as consistent as possible.

Craig
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM

I know it is very hard to see the high numbers but regulation is a process that can take weeks or even months. Dogs tolerate high blood sugar very well - better than humans. If you raise his dose too quickly without having enough data to go on, his chances are actually much lower. Low blood sugar can be deadly, which is the danger with too much insulin. Insulin doses take time to "settle" - generally, you stay at a dose for 5-7 days then do a curve and re-evaluate. Sometimes, dogs may get a dose for a couple of days with no change and then he or she might begin to drop. Their bodies go through a conditioning process especially if they have been undiagnosed for a while. It is almost like a shock to their system to have insulin again so they gradually react.

I think the reason it is confusing is because human diabetics manage their diabetes differently than we do with dogs. Just wear your patience hat. I promise it will serve you guys better in the long run.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Thank you all very much, its appreciated.

Ace is really taking to his new food very well. Im excited about that because hes usually super picky.

He takes the insulin shot pretty good as well, but sometimes flinches when its injected because its cold. He pants a lot afterwords, but calms down in about an hour and acts normal.

Thanks again, and if I dont get a chance to post back, happy thanksgiving to you all and your pets!!