Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Which insulin do you use?

Brand new here and to diabetes, delighted to find this site.

Our Yorkie, Hamlet, or Ham to friends, which all are (big -- about 20 lbs), was just diagnosed today. He starts tonight on two per day of Humulin NPH, 3 units per injection. More bloods to be done next Monday.

We have two. The other is Henry, or Hennie to those same friends (small -- about 5 pounds), a lymphangectasia survivor -- so far.

Percy
Old 06-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyK View Post
Brand new here and to diabetes, delighted to find this site.

Our Yorkie, Hamlet, or Ham to friends, which all are (big -- about 20 lbs), was just diagnosed today. He starts tonight on two per day of Humulin NPH, 3 units per injection. More bloods to be done next Monday.

We have two. The other is Henry, or Hennie to those same friends (small -- about 5 pounds), a lymphangectasia survivor -- so far.

Percy
Welcome to the forum!
You might mention to your vet that Novolin-N (very similar to Humulin-N, both NPH) is only $25 at Walmart. Although you are starting at only 3 units, you might end up at a larger dosage and the lower cost might be nice. Just as an example (every dog / situation is different), my Annie is about 18 pounds and is currently at 6.75 - 7 units.

Other supplies like syringes are also probably less expensive at Walmart.

Craig
Old 06-10-2015, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Meet Hamlet

Welcome, you will find many knowledgeable people who have all been thru this and will help you with it.

FYI Walmart sells both Novolin N and Humulin N for $24.88 per 10cc bottle
Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
FYI Walmart sells both Novolin N and Humulin N for $24.88 per 10cc bottle
dont think Humulin is the discounted insulin, just a couple versions of Novolin (N, R, 70/30). Several years ago Humulin had the Walmart contract, but not now.

Craig
Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 AM

Welcome! I have found this site full of people with a lot of knowledge about this diabetes thing! They have always been more than willing to share experiences with me and Vinny! I hope you find all of us helpful to you and Ham!

Can you tell us a bit more about Ham? You've mentioned weight and insulin, how about food and exercise? What other tests are going to be done on Monday and what has already been done? The more you share, the more help we'll be. Diabetes is overwhelming at first, but very shortly, you'll become an expert with Ham...and his biggest advocate!

Welcome again!
Mel and Vinny
Old 06-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Thanks to Joan, CraigM and Monsters Moma! We certainly will be checking out Humulin versus Novolin with our vet and try to lower the insulin cost going forward. Just a smattering of reading suggests Humulin might be more reliable and easiest for dogs to adjust to (that is, getting "regulated") -- a least that's how it seems to me at the moment, but I'm too new at this to have much basis for that.

Both eat (embarrassed to say) Kirkland Roast Beef Top Round mainly, two-three times a day, and Bill Jack Small Breed dry food. They are housebound dogs for the most part with a little outside time on our porch -- but only during non-winter months. They are as active as they are moved to be -- like barking at outside things or visitors to the front door or chasing one of our cats from time to time, though not seriously. They go up and down stairs as my wife or I move around our house. We have doggy beds of various sizes and types all over the place. Ham naps a lot, but both do that, really.

We ran into Ham's lowered blood sugar level when he was being prepped for a teeth cleaning and some work on a suspicious gum something or other. Got a call from the vet suggesting there could be risk to Ham if the procedure went forward given what his pre-anesthesia blood test showed. Of course, that was that. The diabetes possibility was confirmed by blood and urine retest.

I have not met yet with our vet about Ham's diabetes, though my wife has. I have no numbers on him at this point. Blood and urine tests have been done twice and one suspects only blood will be repeated Monday (to see how the injections are working). I hope to get copies of that blood work, when done, of his two most recent blood and urine reports, and of whatever the other most recent older blood test said, too.

Percy
Old 06-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyK View Post
Thanks to Joan, CraigM and Monsters Moma! We certainly will be checking out Humulin versus Novolin with our vet and try to lower the insulin cost going forward. Just a smattering of reading suggests Humulin might be more reliable and easiest for dogs to adjust to (that is, getting "regulated") -- a least that's how it seems to me at the moment, but I'm too new at this to have much basis for that.

Many of us "old timers" have used both Humulin-N and Novolin-N from Walmart and see no, or very minor, difference. Of course every pup is different. I personally don't see any reason to spend $130+ for Humulin if the $25 Novolin-N does the job

Both eat (embarrassed to say) Kirkland Roast Beef Top Round mainly, two-three times a day, and Bill Jack Small Breed dry food. They are housebound dogs for the most part with a little outside time on our porch -- but only during non-winter months. They are as active as they are moved to be -- like barking at outside things or visitors to the front door or chasing one of our cats from time to time, though not seriously. They go up and down stairs as my wife or I move around our house. We have doggy beds of various sizes and types all over the place. Ham naps a lot, but both do that, really.

Really suggest you limit the food to two meals per day, along with the insulin. An "extra" meal would likely mess-up BG regulation. Basically, food will normally cause the BGs to rise, so a midday meal would just defeat the mornings insulin.
Talking about food, consistency is also very important. Some of us use a kitchen food scale to weigh the food because the amount of food can make regulation more difficult.

We ran into Ham's lowered blood sugar level when he was being prepped for a teeth cleaning and some work on a suspicious gum something or other. Got a call from the vet suggesting there could be risk to Ham if the procedure went forward given what his pre-anesthesia blood test showed. Of course, that was that. The diabetes possibility was confirmed by blood and urine retest.

I have not met yet with our vet about Ham's diabetes, though my wife has. I have no numbers on him at this point. Blood and urine tests have been done twice and one suspects only blood will be repeated Monday (to see how the injections are working). I hope to get copies of that blood work, when done, of his two most recent blood and urine reports, and of whatever the other most recent older blood test said, too.

Are you thinking about home blood testing? Home testing saves money, gives you much better info than stressful testing at the clinic, and has become sort-of a hobby for some of us!

Percy
Be sure to post whatever BG numbers you get from the ext vet appointment.

Craig
Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 PM

Craig,Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Walmart and Novalin (vet consenting, I hope), here I come!

Percy
Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 AM

I have switched between humulin and novolin and found them to be very close. My dog requires a half unit less of novolin and the insulin seems to last longer - she seems to run out of humulin at the 9th hour. All dogs are different but these insulins are basically the same just different brands.

Home testing will save you some money and give you some peace of mind.

We look forward to learning more about Hamlet!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Just adding a little background information about the insulins from Walmart (ReliOn). Walmart uses diabetic supplies to get folks into their stores. They probably figure they can get human diabetics into their store several times a month selling insulin at a discount, and then folks will do other shopping while there.

There are two major makers of insulin: Novo Nordisk that produces Novolin, and Lilly that produces Humulin. It seems that every several years Walmart renews the insulin contract with whichever company that will provide insulin at the lowest cost. In the past 5(?) years the contract has gone from Novolin to Humulin and back to Novolin.

Both Novolin and Humulin are name brand insulin and are not generic, so there might be slight differences. Because most of us replace the insulin every 4-6 weeks, the price difference really adds up over time.

Craig