Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Urinanalysis vs Urine Cultures

I think what Natalie says makes perfect sense. If you are monitoring blood sugar at home, then it is one of those tests that isn't necessary. I know that my vet has never mentioned it and he is an IMS. It seems like it is a painful test to put one through unless you think there is a valid reason.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Default Does anyone use or have heard of Detemir Insulin?

I'm thinking of changing vets and a new vet I am consulting with has suggested a new insulin for Murphy it's called Detemir. Has anyone heard anything about this insulin or even use on their dog? I now use Novolin NPH and have had hard time regulating Murphy the last 2 years but I am unemployed and cannot afford going to more expensive insulin which I am sure Detemir is. Anyway any info you might have I would love to hear. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Does anyone use or have heard of Detemir Insulin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdamurph View Post
I'm thinking of changing vets and a new vet I am consulting with has suggested a new insulin for Murphy it's called Detemir. Has anyone heard anything about this insulin or even use on their dog? I now use Novolin NPH and have had hard time regulating Murphy the last 2 years but I am unemployed and cannot afford going to more expensive insulin which I am sure Detemir is. Anyway any info you might have I would love to hear. Thanks!
Detemir is the same as levemir. It's a clear insulin and in dogs it's four times as potent as NPH (humulin & novolin) and vetsulin, meaning dogs use approximately 1/4 of what they would with the other insulin types.

It's also a very expensive insulin. My dog used it back in 2012 and it was 135.00 for a vial back then. I believe it's upwards of 250.00 - 300.00 for a vial now days. It also comes in a 5 pack of pens, which are more costly than the vial. Most users say Walgreens is the place to go to buy it. Walgreens will let you buy a prescription savings card for around 20.00 for year and then give a decent discount on the insulin. Pets are covered. The cost of the insulin, however, is still steep compared to novolin or humulin (can save on humulin at Walgreens too).

When it was only 135.00 for the levemir vial, because my dog used 1/4 less insulin than when he did on humulin (which back then was the 25.00 insulin from Wal-Mart), the upfront cost was a lot more but the overall cost was close to the same. When we switched he was up to 37u of humulin twice daily. He went up to 10u of levemir (which would have been 40u humulin). He also ended up having a lot of other things going on and once those were treated his insulin needs dropped to about 4.5u of levemir (equiv of 18u humulin). He was a 90-ish pound dog. I will say that while he was struggling with resistance, the levemir did work a lot better than the humulin for him. We still struggled to keep his blood glucose in a decent range, but levemir offered a curve pattern that he never had on humulin. Once we had a curve pattern to work with we were able to confidently adjust the insulin in an effort to combat the elevated blood glucose.

The levemir data sheet says it's only good for 42 days. It's a clear insulin and we were able to use it well beyond the 42 days without noticing a decrease in potency. Others on here have noted challenges with using it too long though so it would be one of those things you'd need to keep an eye on.

If you do buy the levemir vial (vs. the pens) I would recommend leaving a few days worth of doses in the vial before purchasing the next vial - that way you have emergency back up. It's a prescription insulin and if you were to break a vial or leave it out in the heat, etc.. you'd want to have back up.

Because it is prescription, the other consideration is to make sure your vet writes the script for something like 'use as directed' and not for a specific amount of insulin. Our script was written for 5u, which is where my dog started at. He went up to 10u and when we ran out the pharmacist questioned it because at 5u he should have had plenty of insulin left. The pharmacist was great and worked with us once we explained what happened (and because we didn't have the red tape of insurance to work with) but we did have to have the script re-written.

There are not many active levemir users on the forum any more but some users may still 'lurk' and might be able to offer some more updated info on the insulin.

Best of luck to you in getting things sorted out.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 PM

Default Coconut Oil for Diabetic Dogs

Does anyone use coconut oil in their dogs food and if so have you noticed any benefits? I have read it is very good for dogs and helps regulating BG in diabetic dogs also. Thinking of trying it but I wanted to hear some feedback first. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Coconut Oil for Diabetic Dogs

i have read some articles that parts of the makeup of the fat in coconut can stimulate the pancreas in a digestive phase

now the problem is our pups are prone to pancreatitis which can be a life threatening disease. my jesse spent 10 days in hospital so its something you do want to avoid at all costs

jesse had a change in her supplement last year where they added coconut oil to it . i decided to change her supplement just for that one ingredient change wright or wrong not worth the risk .

i am not saying its a problem and for most it may not be but you must balance your decision on risk and reward .

we have yet to see any real benefit of any supplements that helped with blood sugar regulation . does that mean there is nothing out there and not to try ? thats a good question . who knows the key maybe just an ingredient away but we must be careful. anything tried should be started in small amounts amounts . dogs have very different digestive systems from ours
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Coconut Oil for Diabetic Dogs

I think also many of us avoid these kinds of supplements not only because they don't have much relevance for a Type 1 diabetic but because managing diabetes is easiest when the regimen is as uncomplicated as possible. So I know for me, I didn't want to add anything I didn't have to.

Natalie
Old 04-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Default Looking for feedback on weird Curve

I just did a curve on Murphy, he is 62 lbs on 24 units Novolin twice daily. We have had problems regulating him the last two years but finally got a good curve on 24 units in January then he started drinking lots of water and his numbers started going up so we moved up to 25 next curve was even higher so we dropped back down to 24 and here is his curve. FYI - we have tried 23 - 26 units since November.

7:00 am 230 - feed at 7:15 along with insulin
9:00 am 200
11:00 am 193
1 pm - 250
3 pm - 270
5 pm - 238
7 pm - Haven't tested yet.

As you can see the curve is pretty flat but what confuses me he usually always goes up after meals because insulin hasn't kicked in yet and above he goes down then usually at 1 pm is his best reading but he is on his way up but really slowly and then the 5 pm is really weird because usually that would be one of his highest numbers getting ready for his next shot but it goes back down. No problem with the testing, he is easy, fed him like normal, nothing unusual going on and he is feeling well. No weight drop, no drinking a lot of water, basically doing ok which at least makes me feel good. Not that I am going to change insulin dosage but wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Laryngeal Paralysis in Diabetic Dog Need Info.

Murphy has been diabetic for 2 1/2 years not and regulated but it appears he may have developed laryngeal paralysis. Wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and how they treated. He is going to have some XRays to confirm and if so I will need to make the decision whether to have the surgery. My vet says she has done it many times with great success but I am still worried. Does anyone have a dog that has had this surgery and how did it go, did it help with their breathing and energy level? Anything you can share would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Laryngeal Paralysis in Diabetic Dog Need Info.

do a search on "RubyTuesday" and you will find a dog that had both.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Laryngeal Paralysis in Diabetic Dog Need Info.

Sorry Muphy is struggling with this. It can be terrible for them not to be getting enough air.

Although I haven't had a dog with LP I used to see a fair amount of dogs have the corrective surgery at the vet practice I worked at. Although surgery is not without it's risks I would not hesitate if it were my dog, but I don't say this lightly.

I say it because LP can be very uncomfortable for them, all the surgeries I have seen have had a positive outcome and have made the world of difference in the dog.

Tara