Cj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cj

Wow, great job Anne Marie. CJ is lucky to have you as you were so proactive and didn't let it get bad before making adjustments.

You are so right, where would these more complex cases be without home testing!

Tara
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Nice job ...

I follow a somewhat regimen whe feeding O. I put his ground chuck and crockpot chicken in his dish and get him started with that, ... When he's almost done with that I begin to introduce the W/D kibble into his dish and keep adding until he's done.

It's been quite a while cince I've been able to just mix his home prepared food with the kibble. He got to the point that many days he would turn up his nose and walk away from the mixed concoction. This is a bit of a "pain", but it's been working very well, so we just keep doing it.

When you have one of these insulin dependent rascals to tend to you have to resort to some pretty unusual processes to get that food in them so you can give the shot.

The days of just putting the food in the bowl and letting them eat when they feel like it are ancient history. They have to eat at a specific time so you can give the insulin.

It's all well worth it, though. I very rarely hear anyone grumbling about it.
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

i am so glad you caught it early ann marie

this is something i worry about with jesse and dogs that have had it once, more than likely will see some flare ups from time to time the key is to recognize the symptoms which you do so beautifully.

you are doing a great job by your cj
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Anne-Marie,
          Your dedication to that little guy is amazing. So glad you caught this 'bout early. I don't imagine you are using much anyway but watch the fat in the peanut butter while he's flaring up.

Give him a pat from all of us!
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Bill, Jesse girl and Patty
            Yes it's worth every minute I like all of you will do everything I can to give CJ the best quality of life . The help and encouragement you have given me .... I can't thank you all enough. I would never have been able to get through the last year without you all and everyone on the forum.

Patty - if I can be even half as dedicated to CJ as you were to Ali I will be happy. But thank you! I am only giving him the low fat , no added sugar peanut butter and only a tiny tiny amount . Once he starts eating the dry food I will stop the peanut butter.

Jesse girl - yes it's always a worry with our pups that the pancreas can flare up for no reason - I know you would spot any change in Jesse just like I did with CJ .

Bill - yes you are so right it's really worth it - anything as long as they eat the food! I agree it's a bit of a pain but it works so I am not complaining!! Otis is one lucky dude to have you as his dad! Hope he gave you a fathers day card!

Anne-Marie and CJ
            Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Glad to hear you caught CJ's little bout quickly! It flares up so fast sometimes! I am lucky in that Hank IS one of those dogs that I can just let him eat when he wants and it doesn't mess up his bg's too much. He'd be a lot more stable if he would eat when he was supposed to tho...I envy you and the others that are able to work thru that picky stuff!

CJ made it cause of you, AnnMarie! You are the one who's done all the hard work and you should be very proud of yourself! Hugs to you and the little man!
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Anne-Marie.

Cj certainly has you on your toes, and you do a wonderful job being proactive... He is one lucky pirate.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

wow Anne Marie, you are so good to him! I agree with Barb. Hope things are continuing to go well! Judi
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks Judi, Barb and SHellie

Sorry I have not replied sooner but CJ has been sick again - poor little fellow- his pancreas has been acting up again so its the same vicious circle he wont eat - coaxing him to eat then watching to make sure he does not get sick --- and of course how much insulin to give him.

Brough him to the vet again on Sat and Elke said his pancreas acting up again - which I knew- so we put him back on all the usual meds again. She did a blood test as well and his kidney fuction was 11 - it should be less than 9 - so she is going to read up on this and see if maybe there is something else going on. I have to bring him back later this week for another blood test and to just generally check him out.

OTherwise he is ok - I have had a few highs and a few lows but I'm so used to this now I dont panic anymore . If any of you have any ideas about the kidney function reading being 11 I would really appreciate your input.

THanks so much to you all for being there for CJ.

Hugs
                    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Awe, Anne-Marie, I'm sorry to hear his pancreas is acting up again. Poor little Cj. Hope the cycle stops soon so he can start feeling better. You do such a wonderful job with him.
                      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Jenny had a bad kidney test one week after having a good one just because she didn't drink much the day of the second test.

I'd wait till you get the pancreatitis settled down and test again. try not to worry. hugs, Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Anne-Marie...

I am so sorry to hear that Cj is not feeling well.

When I took Abby in recently, she had some crystals, but her kidney function was fine. I am with Judi, and do a wait and see.

It is so hard when they don't feel well. Sending healing thoughts to Cj, and hope you are getting some needed rest.

Barb
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Sorry to hear this Anne-Marie. What was the specific name of the kidney function test that was 11?
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thank you Shellie Barb Judi and Patty all for your concern for CJ - he is still not great but improving a little- its getting him to eat thats the problem.

Patty - I forget which test it was for his kidneys - will ask the vet next time - but when I brought him on Sat the vet said it was not in his opinion serious and it could be because of the high protein content in his diet . But its difficult to cut out the protein as its usually the only thing he will eat - chicken - when he is feeling bad.

Thanks again for checking on us. Sorry I have had no time to catch up on threads but will try this week.

Hugs

Comment

Hi Anne Marie

Sorry to hear CJ isn't feeling well, hope he picks up soon. You're doing great!
                                Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Working...
                                X