Mile the Chihuahua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mile the Chihuahua

Mile is an unregulated diabetic dog currently going to CSU Small Clinic in Colorado. I was told high numbers are not as important as a nice looking curve. The numbers below according to CSU provide a nice looking curve so Mile should stay at 4 units 2x per day. He will have a Fructosamine test in two weeks.

I use the Relion Confirm glucometer and a conversion chart.
    Below is Mile's curve with 4 units am and 4 units pm. He just started Novolin N last Friday night. I started with one unit and went to four units gradually.His "start" numbers (below 4 units) were 500's and 600's with a lot of "HI" readings on the meter so these numbers are better.

He cannot sleep at night and is constantly hungry.He tested
    negative on Urine Cushings Test. He was on Baytril for UTI for 10
    days last week.The vet in training at CSU did a urine culture and
    won't give an antibiotic until results are back so Mile is urinating often. He had a urine culture sensitivity test at our regular vet two weeks ago. Then my vet gave me injectable Baytril to give him.
    for one week until he got to CSU Small Animal Clinic in Ft. Collins,Colorado.

My regular vet allowed me to take home an IV bag (subcutaneous fluids) to use at home as needed for periods of dehydration from high glucose.

The vet in training at CSU insisted on another culture so Mile is
    struggling with no antibiotic as we wait for confirmation of type
    of bacteria (which most likely is the same as two weeks ago).

The vet in training does not want me doing bg's but rather
    ketones and urine glucose off and on. I find this disturbing

We have not slept at night for six months because Mile is hungry every other hour at night. His numbers at night are high.

Mile was 13lbs and currently is 6lbs. He is basically skin and bones from muscle wasting caused by high glucose for six months.My regular vet (which I recently acquired in February after leaving first vet) decided to send us for help at CSU since he did not know what to do.Any thoughts are welcome!

Here is Mile's Blood Glucose Curve - Novolin N (4 units 2x per
    day).

4am 423
    5am 450
    6am 494
    7am 352
    8am-
    9am 213
    10am 282
    11am 392
    12noon 210
    1pm 241
    2pm 396
    3pm 400
    4pm 490
    5pm 444
    6pm 544
    7pm 490
    8pm 537
    9pm 541
    10pm 436
    Food at 5am and 5pm Insulin 4 units at 5:20am and 5:20pm He has a snack at noon and a snsck before bed at 8pm.

GLUCOSE CURVE-Mile
    - 423 mg/dl- 4am 544 mg/dl - 6pm
    - 450 mg/dl - 5am 490 mg/dl - 7pm
    - 494 mg/dl - 6am 537 mg/dl - 8pm
    - 352 mg/dl - 7am 541 mg/dl - 9pm
    - ran out of strips/Walmart!
    - 213 mg/dl - 9am 436mg/dl - 10 pm
    - 282 mg/dl - 10 am
    - 392 mg/dl - 11 am
    - 210 mg/dl - 12 noon
    - 241 mg/dl - 1pm
    - 396 mg/dl - 2pm
    - 400 mg/dl - 3pm
    - 490 mg/dl - 4pm
    - 444 mg/dl - 5pm
    Novlin N - Almost 1 week

Other Information:
    ■Switched from Vetsulin-6 months
    ■regulated-No
    ■Reoccuring bladder infections
    ■Urine Cushings test- neg.
    ■Issues with dehydration
    ■Does not sleep at night,up every other hour,
    wants food constantly
    ■Muscle Wasting
    ■Was 13lbs in August,now 6lbs.
    ◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
    Food at 5am/5pm prior to insulin
    snack at 11 am and bed time snack 11pm

Re: Blood Glucose Curve-What do you think?

SORRY -Second Column missing
    MILE'S CURVE
    4am423
    5am 450
    6 am 494
    7am 352
    8am-
    9am 213
    10am 282
    11am 392
    12 noon 210
    1pm 241
    2pm 396
    3pm 400
    4pm 490
    5pm 444
    6pm 544
    7pm 490
    8pm 537
    9pm 541
    10pm 436

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Only have a few minutes, but wanted to welcome you and Mile.

Looks like the lowest reading on the curve was 210 at noon. You mentioned in a personal message that Mile is currently getting 4 units. If this is a typical curve, I might be tempted on increasing to 4.5 units (usually like to make small adjustments of about 10% at a time)

The other thought is the 11am/pm snack might be hurting the numbers. You can see that right after the 11am snack his blood glucose reading started to go up. You might consider not giving the snack, but increase the normal meals a little? What are you feeding? He will be hungry with high blood glucose, but as his numbers get/stay in the 100-300 range his hunger should become manageable.

Sorry, got to head to bed

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I'm wondering what the mid day snack has been? As I pointed out, it does seem to affect Mile's blood glucose (BG). If a snack is needed, something low in carbohydrates might be better such as chicken or a low carb veggie. Many use frozen green beans as treats because they don't affect the BG very much.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

We found when Charlie was poorly regulated he wanted to eat ALL the time. High blood glucose impacts their ability to absorb the nutrients in food. For us changing food helped regulate. We feed the amount for weight maintenance but add an egg in the morning and a small bit of grilled chicken with his dinner.

His only snack, and this was really hard for us, is a tidbit of homemade chicken jerky after shots and eyedrops and half a baby carrot after walks.

What food does Mile eat and what are you feeding for a snack?

Laura
          Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Re: Mile the Chihuahua

Just a quick note to let you know I merged your prior message information into your first post in this new version of the thread so it's all in one place.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
              Just a quick note to let you know I merged your prior message information into your first post in this new version of the thread so it's all in one place.

Natalie
              Thank you!
              Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie's mom View Post
                Welcome to the forum!

We found when Charlie was poorly regulated he wanted to eat ALL the time. High blood glucose impacts their ability to absorb the nutrients in food. For us changing food helped regulate. We feed the amount for weight maintenance but add an egg in the morning and a small bit of grilled chicken with his dinner.

His only snack, and this was really hard for us, is a tidbit of homemade chicken jerky after shots and eyedrops and half a baby carrot after walks.

What food does Mile eat and what are you feeding for a snack?

Laura
                Thank you Laura.
                Ann

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  I'm wondering what the mid day snack has been? As I pointed out, it does seem to affect Mile's blood glucose (BG). If a snack is needed, something low in carbohydrates might be better such as chicken or a low carb veggie. Many use frozen green beans as treats because they don't affect the BG very much.

Craig
                  Mile has boiled organic chicken 4 x a day due to two hypos in January. He has episodic colitis and oxalate bladder stones. He needs a new diet. He needs a new vet.
                  I am frustrated and need to find some help.
                  Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Renee L. View Post
                    Thank you Laura.
                    Ann
                    Laura,
                    Mile is only eating boiled chicken with cottage cheese or yogurt. He use to have veggies and rice with the chicken but he was inhaling his food to the point of clogging his airway.
                    He does get a cracker to go to bed with since he misses his bones.
                    I am going to dehydrate snacks for him soon.
                    I think he needs a soluable fiber for lower glucose and longer time on antibiotic for bladder infections.

Comment

Mile has boiled organic chicken 4 x a day due to two hypos in January. He has episodic colitis and oxalate bladder stones. He needs a new diet. He needs a new vet.
                      Ann
                      Forgot to mention cottage cheese or yogurt with chicken. He takes RX vitamins for dogs,potassium citrate,digestive enzymes and probiotics. He needs soluable fiber I think for glucose issues?He gets a water cracker to take to bed. He is up all night wanting food so I am exhausted.

CSU vet had me increase his food to 1/4 cupnfour timesca day. He also was given a free bag of Royal Canin GI formula to try with his chicken,formulas,cottage cheese or yogurt. He barks allmday for the Royal Canin dry food. Ugh! He does not chew the dry food but inhales it like a vacuum. His pH level has gone to 6 instead of 6.5 which is not good for Oxalate Stones. I am going to check into the dissolving stone diet.
                      Miles stones were tiny and last Ultrasound did not show that they were growing. He takes potassium citrate for the stones.
                      Last edited by Ann Renee L.; 02-27-2015, 10:18 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Ann
                        I'm afraid the other medical conditions are way over my head. Hope others can give us some advice.

Are you thinking about increasing the dosage? What does he eat in addition to the chicken? (Looks like you just answered this)

You said you are using the ReliOn Confirm meter and are using a conversion chart. Can you tell me a little about the conversion? I have a Confirm, but haven't used it probably for a year or longer. I think I use to divide the meter reading by .68 to get a number that was close to what my AlphaTrak2 (dog meter) would give.

Craig

Comment

Have you tried a slow feeder bowl? We have to use one with my non diabetic schnauzer to slow her down. It works well and has eliminated her issues.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                            Have you tried a slow feeder bowl? We have to use one with my non diabetic schnauzer to slow her down. It works well and has eliminated her issues.
                            Where do I purchase a slow feeder bowl?

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                              I'm afraid the other medical conditions are way over my head. Hope others can give us some advice.

Are you thinking about increasing the dosage? What does he eat in addition to the chicken? (Looks like you just answered this)

You said you are using the ReliOn Confirm meter and are using a conversion chart. Can you tell me a little about the conversion? I have a Confirm, but haven't used it probably for a year or longer. I think I use to divide the meter reading by .68 to get a number that was close to what my AlphaTrak2 (dog meter) would give.

Craig
                              Here is the Human Conversion Chart
                              50-70 add 30 points
                              71-100 add 50 points
                              101-150 add 80 points
                              151-300 add 100 points
                              301+ add 50 points

Comment

Working...
                              X