Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regulating Bailey

Yea!!!! you made it to the one year club. Congrats and keep up the good work (both of you)
    Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Hope your second and all future years become easier resulting in great bg for Bailey.

Jake
      13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
      At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

great progress

that year hump is a milestone especially when it is a bit challenging congrats
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

congratulations on making it a year! you guys are doing great
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
            Dosage: 13.5 Units of Protaphane and 1.5 units of Humlaog

Date Time Reading Comments
            Sat
            1-Dec-12 8:55am 24.1/385 Fed at 8am
            1-Dec-12 1:15pm 22.4/403
            1-Dec-12 3:03pm 15.1/272
            1-Dec-12 5:03pm 13.7/247
            1-Dec-12 7:03pm 17.6/317
            1-Dec-12 7:59pm 20.8/374 Fasting then fed at 8
            1-Dec-12 10:05pm 26.8/482

Dosage: 14 Units of Protaphane and 1.5 units of Humlaog

Sun
            2-Dec-12 08:05am 22.7/409 Fasting
            2-Dec-12 09:00am 25.9/466 Not an awful rise
            2-Dec-12 11:32am 21.1/380 coming back down here
            2-Dec-12 1:13pm 21.6/389
            2-Dec-12 3:13pm 15.4/277
            2-Dec-12 5:16pm 10.4/187
            2-Dec-12 7:04pm 9/162
            2-Dec-12 8:10pm 10.9/196 Fasting then fed after
            2-Dec-12 10:05pm 16.1/290 about 100 pt rise
            2-Dec-12 11:04pm 17.8/320 still rising a bit

3-Dec-12 7:56am 17.3/311 Spot Check

4-Dec-12 10:54pm 21.3/383 Spot Check

I am thinking of going to 2 units of Humlaog to try and drop his spike further.
            Hi Geoff,
            I wouldn't really worry so much about the amount of insulin he's on. If his dose is influenced by a possible borderline Cushings diagnosis, I still wouldn't treat unless there were outward symptoms.

Looks like he's coming down quite a ways into the PM fasting. You might just try increasing the PM Humalog and not the AM for now if this pattern is a repeating trend (looks like Sunday was the 1st day of 14u Protaphane).

Congrats on 1 year into your diabetes journey!!
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hello, thanks to everyone, yes my heart broke last December when I got a call from the vet saying he has diabetes. I asked what are the "side effects" and he said blindness which I dreaded. All that has since come, and gone and as you can see from my first album photo, he is doing fine and is one spoilt dog! (just ask my wife ha-ha!)

Anyhow, thanks Tara/Patty, on Sunday night he did go lower that Sat after the increase in protaphane so I might try him on 2 units Humalog on Sat morning and see how he goes, he seems to be spiking on the morning feeds!

Geoff
              Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Hello, thanks to everyone, yes my heart broke last December when I got a call from the vet saying he has diabetes. I asked what are the "side effects" and he said blindness which I dreaded. All that has since come, and gone and as you can see from my first album photo, he is doing fine and is one spoilt dog! (just ask my wife ha-ha!)

Anyhow, thanks Tara/Patty, on Sunday night he did go lower that Sat after the increase in protaphane so I might try him on 2 units Humalog on Sat morning and see how he goes, he seems to be spiking on the morning feeds!

Geoff
                Hey Geoff, If I understand Patty's approach correctly I like it, and it is the opposite. I don't think he is spiking so much with the morning meal, only 57 points on Sun. 1 hr. out. It is more that he is starting out higher so it takes him longer to get the numbers down. If you were to give the increased dose of the humalog at night that would help him start lower in the morning.

Tara
                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

OK thanks, so to clarify again! Raise his Humalog on the PM dose, leave his AM does at 1.5. Sounds fair and I understand the reasoning.

Geoff
                  Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

OK thanks, so to clarify again! Raise his Humalog on the PM dose, leave his AM does at 1.5. Sounds fair and I understand the reasoning.

Geoff
                    Yup, it isn't uncommon for some dog's to need a different approach am and pm. The 1 1/2 in the morning looks to be handling the food rise pretty nicely. Hopefully the increased amount in the pm will bring that next mornings fasting down a bit.
                    Let us know how you make out.

Tara
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.
                    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Roger, thanks Tara, appreciate your help!

Comment

It's that 100 point rise that keeps rising into hour 3 from your PM curve that I'd want to track. He starts lower at 10.9/196 so you'd want to be sure this is a trend for him to rise that far. But I think given the PM rise, increasing the Humalog could help keep the numbers down and you'd have a better AM fasting.

If you do get a lower AM fasting, you'll have to watch the protaphane dose because his Sunday curve brings him from 22.7/409 to a low of 9/162 on 14u. That's a large span.
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                          It's that 100 point rise that keeps rising into hour 3 from your PM curve that I'd want to track. He starts lower at 10.9/196 so you'd want to be sure this is a trend for him to rise that far. But I think given the PM rise, increasing the Humalog could help keep the numbers down and you'd have a better AM fasting.

If you do get a lower AM fasting, you'll have to watch the protaphane dose because his Sunday curve brings him from 22.7/409 to a low of 9/162 on 14u. That's a large span.
                          May I see the whole curve, I would love to see the whole picture thanks
                          I just found the curve thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Blessing View Post
                            May I see the whole curve, I would love to see the whole picture thanks
                            I just found the curve thanks
                            My girls curves before were so similar to yours. i decided to change her food before doing anything with the insulin. It worked beautifully. I am going to do one more curve because if it still looks the same as the last their may be some change in the insulin by just a tiny bit lower. I am finding the food plays such a big part in this whole big picture.

Comment

Hello, yes, tried changing his food, only made things worse for me! He ended up going high by 4-5pm (high as in 500+) but he seems to be much more stable now. It's all a but of a juggling exercise!!

Thanks,

Geoff

Comment

Hello all, latest curve, getting hectic in the lead up to Christmas!

Time Date mm/ol mg/l units humalog units protaphane (Basal)
                                8-Dec-12 9:30am 19.6 352.8 1.5 14 Fed at 8am and tested at 9:30
                                8-Dec-12 12:09pm 23.1 415.8
                                8-Dec-12 2:10pm 21.3 383.4
                                8-Dec-12 4:03pm 13.2 237.6
                                8-Dec-12 6:03pm 11.8 212.4
                                8-Dec-12 6:45pm 13.5 Fed Early 243 2 14
                                8-Dec-12 11:18pm 19.8 356.4

Bot a bad curve, seems to take him ages to come back down to low teens from Breakfast.
                                Last edited by Geoff; 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X