X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack - new to my house

Hi Natalie

Aww that was a nice hello from you!

Zeno doing good (touch wood - 3 years diabetic next month!) and Bobs OK - I think he is two tomorrow but must check.

For a minute I though you'd wrote "Jack ruins our lives" :0) Awww little man he sounds lovely - full of fun. When you have an older dog and then a younger one it is a bit of a shock, I know when we got Bobby it aged Zeno completely (he always looked like the younger one with Angela Charl). I like to see Chris's face in your profile, lovely fellow he was it's a crying shame they aren't with us longer.

Lovely to speak to you and I will try and not be so much a stranger, I'm a rubbish poster.

Give Jack a big cuddle from us.

Love to Jack, Sharon Zeno
    Last edited by Bichon Mum; 01-11-2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

LOL... there are days when "ruins" might be the more appropriate word! I'm so glad Zeno is well.

What a herder this boy has become. I can't believe how it's coming out in him the past month. Lately he can't stop herding pale yellow labradors!!

Shoot, I meant to drive him out to meet a sheep today after the dog park and forgot. Thought maybe if I showed him the real thing... although technically, I think the flock down the road are goats... he would figure out that pale yellow labs are not ovines!

Comment

JUst love that pic of Jack with his hat on. He looks pretty embarrassed!!! Poor boy!!! What mommies will do for a pic!!! Pebbles wasn't fond of fireworks either!! Once she heard the first pop days after she would go outside and immediately look up at the sky She wouldn't forget. I spend many a day telling her to go pee pee when all she wanted to do is run back inside. I hated the 4th of July because of this We didn't attempt to go camping on that holiday We always stayed home so that Pebbles could stay in and be less stressed. Kept "Kahlua" is scared of thunder Go figure The wimp stays up Moms but till the storm ends Jack is a handsome man.
        Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

What a herder this boy has become. I can't believe how it's coming out in him the past month. Lately he can't stop herding pale yellow labradors!!
          My Zac does this too - but he doesn't care if they are pale yellow or labradors - or probably even dogs. As long as they move they require herding his not particularly humble opinion. He's particularly fond of herding poodles and poodle X's - must look like sheep to him and they really excite him. Kinda annoys and confuses other dogs at times. Zac's herding style seems to involve a lot of very loud barking which doesn't help, either. Is Jack and "eye dog" like a lot of BC's? That would probably stress other dogs out too.

I knew of a dog (was actually the daughter of my husband's dog) that, when it was raining, would be out on the veranda herding frogs into gum boots! There are dogs (BC or Kelpies usually) that can herd a chicken into a large jam tin - poor chicken!

Alison

Comment

LMAO at the idea of herding frogs!!

Jack does some herding stuff with most dogs - nips at their necks or heels. But yellow labs are the ones he barks at. Stands in their face and barks like crazy. I read that McNabs bark when they herd.

I could definitely see a poodle... all that curly hair. I could see yellow labradors as sheared sheep...

Jack has only started to do the eye thing in the past month as well. Sometimes he stacks up behind a dog who is giving a ball the eye. Dog stares at ball, Jack stares at dog... as soon as the ball flies, the dog goes after the ball and Jack goes after the dog as if it were a ball.

But lately in the backyard he's been crouching and giving the eye to his tennis ball. He didn't do this at all when we first got him.

Comment

Alison, I'd love to see a picture of Zac.

Comment

Just a border collie! Hhhrrrruuummmpphhh!!! LOL

My sister has 2 siblings, lab and border crosses and they have TONS of energy but have each other to run with.

I had a border when we lived in Utah. I love the breed and love to watch them herd and see their natural instincts.

How big is Jack? What does he weigh?

They are usually very smart and with your patience it's no wonder he graduated!!!

He's a lucky guy....except when a cat smacks him!
                Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
                Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Hi Natalie:

This is my very first post to this board - but I wanted it to be. CONGRATULATIONS ON ADOPTING JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's one lucky guy.

Pip is now 8, but I remember his first obedience class like it was yesterday. My husband took him, because Pip was HIS DOG! He came back home that night completely humiliated by a little 6-month old Min Pin that "crawled up it's own lead" and would not obey any command except spin, jump and drool.

He's been mine ever since and I love the little goof like crazy!!!!

Much, much happiness to you and Jack!

Pam

Comment

Hey Denise,

It's pretty rude, isn't it, to be a little disappointed that your dog is only ONE kind! I'm not used to this purebred thing!

Sue on the Cushings board had her dog tested and there were something like six different influences! I'll have to ask her which test she used.

Jack weighs about 50 pounds - I'm surprised it's not more as he's at least as tall as Chris, who weighed 60-65. But Jack's frame is much lighter and a lot of his height is in his legs. He's tall for a border collie. Kind of medium labrador size.

Although I have seen a handful of other short-coated border collies and many of them seem to be tall and leggy like Jack. He may not be a McNab as we met one the other day who, aside from a feathery tale, looks nearly identical to Jack but came from Romania or someplace so is not likely to be a McNab. When the two of them were running, I couldn't tell which was which. Once they stopped, I could see the differences in her markings and his but the body shape was really close.

He gets to be more of a herder all the time at the dog parks. Still need to take him out and see what he thinks of a real live sheep.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Pam!

I was excited to see your registration today! Thanks for the kind note about Jack. We are crazy about him, of course, even with his "issues." If only Jack would be as good at home as he was at obedience class!

Did you tell your husband not to feel bad? I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle a min pin!!

I wish now that Jeff and I would both have gone to the class. They enroll "per dog" so more than one human can attend and it would have been good for both of us to go through the class.

How is Pip doing? Hope you will start a thread about him here so we can get updates.

Natalie

Comment

Jack has discovered jack rabbits. And he is very very very excited about them. I really can't describe the sound he makes... he kind of shrieks and gurgles at the same time, and totally forgets about his hamburger patty from the magic window - now that's excited!

He's also quite abruptly decided tennis balls are cool and does the border collie thing at the park with them. You couldn't have paid him to pick up a tennis ball a month ago.

He and the cats are manageing to share the space for periods of time with no gates between them, which is making the humans in the house a lot happier. He is very good with them now. Does his best to avoid them. They are still a bit miffed and periodically remind him of his bad behavior early on. But we are making progress, thank goodness.

If only I could teach him to do number 2 on a leash. He just won't do it.... he got a really long walk the other day and he flat out refused. So we took a detour over to a nearby dog park and insta-performance... silly boy.

He's definitely settling in. Sleeps most of the night now on the bed, taking up more than his share of the space.

Comment

I am sitting here just cracking up... first there was my Google search the other day for thyroid and "equilibrium dialysis" that brought up four links, all of them my posts to various forums...

Tonight I put "Yolo County" and "dog parks" into Google and this was at the top of the list of links returned by Google!

http://www.yolospca.org/content/happy/success147.shtml

I didn't know his graduation had been immortalized!

Natalie

Comment

Way to go Nat !!
                            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Oh, he is just too stinking cute in his mortarboard! Congratulations on your graduation, Jack!

Comment

Natalie - this was a lot of fun to read. I'm glad they put up your description! Maybe a bit surprised they didn't tell you!

Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:44:05 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X