X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dazzle - Border Collie with Diabetes & EPI

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
    Jan,
    Our vets like Free T4 by ED and TSH when ruling out hypothyroid. Harry's T4 was really low, but these two tests ruled out hypothyroidism for him.
    Dazzle had the TSH done as well as the Free T4 when she was diagnosed. Her T4 was too low to register (<2) and the TSH was really high (can't remember the figure off hand).

I know there is a problem with over diagnosis of HypoT because the thyroid can be affected by other chronic disease - Sick Euthyroid Syndrome - but the lab felt that it was primary hypoT on the basis of those results.

Seems your vets are on the ball with this as so many used to just see a low T4 and put the dog on treatment. Jean Dodds has been trying to get that message across for some time now.

I know the Royal Vet College were doing a study on HypoT vs SES a few years ago so perhaps they are getting the message across in the UK now too.
    Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

• Re: Dazzle - Border Collie with Diabetes &amp; EPI

Another thought on drinking. When Harry developed heartburn from all the antibiotics, he was drinking a ton (getting up at night to drink and then pee). Blood tests and urinalysis all normal - blood glucose OK. This all stopped with Pepcid and Carafate.
      That's a good thought. Dazzle always has a very grumbly stomach specially after eating. That started when she had chronic pancreatitis so I've just always put it down to that.

Maybe heartburn or similar is the cause of her thirst too.
      Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

Another thought on drinking. When Harry developed heartburn from all the antibiotics, he was drinking a ton (getting up at night to drink and then pee). Blood tests and urinalysis all normal - blood glucose OK. This all stopped with Pepcid and Carafate.
        With all of the medications Mildred is on for her cancer she was very sick until we started her with Pepcid in the a/m before breakfast and Carafate midafternoon, at least 2 hours before her p/m meal.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Jan - I didn't think the curve was all THAT bad, though it surely didn't match the beauty of the last one!

I REALLY like the Pepcid / Carafate idea. If you try that, let us know how it works out!

Always wishing you and Dazzle the very best.

Love and hugs, licks and wags,
          Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:27:43 (PDT)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
            Jan - I didn't think the curve was all THAT bad, though it surely didn't match the beauty of the last one!

I REALLY like the Pepcid / Carafate idea. If you try that, let us know how it works out!

Always wishing you and Dazzle the very best.

Love and hugs, licks and wags,
            Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:27:43 (PDT)
            Hi Carol,

No I guess it's not as bad as it could be but the last two curves were really good - and the fasting tests in between the curves were equally good. I just don't understand why she keeps changing like this.

Comment

I can understand your frustration

jesse has always been this way fasting yesterday 197 today 300

for her it is such a delicate balance dropping a bit to low or a bit to fast will give what i believe a response from the body now there could be other reasons but i believe it is not a food issue but a body issue which is difficult to prepare and adjust to thats why i am flexible with her dose and give her some fast acting on rare occasions also

for her trying to keep her as flat as possible does help but she will have variations to her blood sugar and i do expect them

dazzle probably doesnt follow jesses pattern you seem to go through bouts of resistance where the numbers appear to be flat but at a higher level

what i look for is there a pattern maybe like 3 days of good numbers and then a couple days in a higher range
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jan - any weather changes in your area? Or even upcoming ones? I found Kumbi's needs seemed to change a bit with the changing seasons.
                Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:35:08 (PDT)
                CarolW

Comment

Sorry everyone. Not been on the laptop much for a few days so haven't responded to the messages.

We did have a very hot few days around when I did the last curve. That's a good thought Carol, maybe that was the difference.

I'm going to ask the vets if they can do a curve and daily BG's whilst she is in there next week (while I'm in hospital). I'd be interested to see if they have similar ups and downs as I've been getting at home. Also want them to check the thyroid again because I'm convinced that her levels are much lower than they should be for a dog on medication.

Comment

Bumping this up, wondering when Jan gets home and how things are going.
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks Judi! Jan and Dazzle have been on my mind as well.

Natalie

Comment

Mine too.
                        Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:02:27 (PST)
                        CarolW

Comment

Jan,
                          Just wanted to leave you a note to let you know I was thinking of you today. Hope to hear from you soon.
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• From Jan (Dazzle's owner)

I have been off the list for almost 6 months because, believe it or not, I've been in hospital since 25th October 2011. I had an operation which was followed by just about every complication that can be imagined. I'm hoping though to get home for good sometime this coming week.

Its with a devastated heart that I have to let you all know that on Friday 13th April, Dazzle collapsed and was rushed to the vet by the petsitter (who has been living in at my home). She was on a drip and had bloods taken which showed she was in multi-organ failure and her BG was off the scale. Despite everything the vets could do, she went into a coma and slipped away from this life about 1/2 hour later.

I'm shell-shocked at the moment because being in hospital meant I couldn't be with her at the end. I had seen the dogs a few weeks ago when I was home for 6 days before having to be readmitted to hospital myself. I'm glad I did have that brief time with Dazzle and the others. To add to the sadness, 10 days before Dazzle died, my 16yr old Border Collie Toppa had to be pts due to old age problems and today, my 12yr old Standard Poodle, YoYo, who has had Addison's Disease for 9 yrs has also collapsed and is now receiving emergency treatment at the vets. He is in an Addisonian Crisis and very poorlY but the vet is hopeful that he will be stabilised with fluids, steroids and an increase in his Addison's medication.

I have been so grateful to this forum for all the help I have had with Dazzle's diabetes. She wasn't easy to keep stable and some of you will remember and my vet kindly said that with most owners, she would not have survived anywhere as long as she did. That was thanks in no small part to this group.

I will continue as a member and hope that once I'm over this very difficult time with my own health problems and the loss of two of my companions so close together, that I can pay forward some of the debt that I owe to you all.

Please keep YoYo in your prayers if you would. I'm not sure if I could bear the loss of a third friend in so short a space of time.

Comment

• Re: From Jan (Dazzle's owner)

oh jan i have been worried about you and your beautiful dazzle

you have had some very difficult challenges in your life and your life giving strength has always amazed me

you gave so much of yourself to your babies and they know what sacrifices you made even your own health was put on hold

in the end i believe are babies will make the same sacrifice for us and remove that burden from us deciding to move on to the next plain of life

dazzle has been apart of us and she will surely be missed but will be remembered in such a good light her battle has helped jesse with giving me another peace to the puzzle

jan get well and heal .positive healing thoughts for you and your babies and godspeed for the ones that have moved on
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: From Jan (Dazzle's owner)

Jan I have been worried about you and your crew. I am so so sorry about Dazzle and Toppa. Sending lots of positive thoughts out into the universe for YoYo.

I hope you are physically healing and I'm so sad about Dazzle. hugs, Judi
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X