Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Default Re: My Monster Vinny

Hmm. I don't understand that. Maybe watch for a UTI? But most likely it was the missed shot - or heat. I don't know where you live but here in Pennsylvania it is HOT! Teddy just lays on the AC vent all day.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Well we didn't go to the lake...long story. Anyway, I decided to do a curve on Vinny today...
326 6am before food or insulin
409 8am
338 10am

Just when you think you've got this figured out. We haven't seen numbers like these since he was first diagnosed. I'm not sure what is going on here!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Founding Member

there can be a honeymoon period for some dogs still producing some insulin and when that decides to quit the need for insulin may need to go up .

another thought when seeing a change in blood sugar especially going higher its possible an infection maybe creeping in

it seems like after the missed shot things seem to have gotten out of whack .
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Well, now at noon his number is 232. I don't get how missing one dose can do this several days later.

So, I guess we need to check him out at the vet? He seems to be acting just find; playing, eating, laying around. Pretty normal. We change his dosing by 1/2 unit and it throws everything off (plus of course the missed dose). These numbers make me feel like we should go up even higher with the insulin.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Changing insulin dose can take at least 3to5 days of wobbling. Patience . It could be an infection. If you up his insulin a half unit and it takes it down he just needed more insulin
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Ok, so Vinny's curve on Sunday was...

6am 326 before food or insulin
8am 409
10am 338
12pm 232
2pm 249
4 pm 281
6 pm 172 before food or insulin

He isn't acting any different with the higher numbers, but I just don't get how we raised his insulin and his numbers go whacky.

I guess I shouldn't say he doesn't act any differently...he has been acting differently ever since his diagnosis. With frequent vet visits, us poking him to take his blood or give him his insulin, we now have a dog that wants to be loved on all the time...by everyone! It used to just be Daddy that got to love on him, and Mommy that would get up to feed, water or let him out. Or at least it seemed that way. He's not demanding about those things like he is about getting some love!

He does seem more timid now...like he's going to get into trouble for something. And he won't go off the porch to our back yard about 50% of time unless one of us goes outside too. However, if anyone comes to the front door...he scares the...you know...out of them since he's black and you don't see him running at the door! I swear one of these days he's going to go right through the glass!

Anyway...do you make anything out of all of this and do you have any suggestions??
Mel
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Just curious, if his reading in the evening continue to level out. You mentioned that this curve is from Sunday, but you may want to do another this weekend.

I had found that it would take a good week for Abby to settle down with a dose change/food change/"anything" change.

Also, pick a 'normal' day. You don't want to be doing a curve on an off day when they may be out of their normal routine.

Barb
Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM

A normal day is when we aren't home Barb! Weekends are the exception around here. We'll have to try again this weekend.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Well that is a normal day, a weekend. At least your readings are consistently non-normal.

Barb
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

forbins numbers were always like this when he was on vetsulin. When I switched him to humulin he leveled out. I could never get him consistent with vetsulin for some reason. Other dogs do great with it.