Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: My Monster Vinny

Mel -

Sorry Vinny is throwing you a curve. Old age has a way of doing it.

I have always felt that insulin needs change with age - there are so many factors that affect the insulin food balance. The response to pain, neurological issues, lack of more regular exercise, eating habits, and of course, their organs also age so you never know what effect that might have. You might try to get him in at the vet and see if he is experiencing pain in other areas.

Maggie had some arthritis for a few years and we had her on Tramadol and some glycoflex. Her pain response was lower bg's instead of higher but it is more common to be higher. She was slow getting up and down. I always thought that as long as Maggie was eating, then I was willing to let her keep going. A few days before we decided to let her go, my vet examined her after I told him she was not putting her head down to eat or drink. She wasn't crying or yelping and her appetite was good. Once he felt around on her neck area, it was quite obvious that her pain was pretty bad and she had cervical damage. I had no idea that was even a thing with a little dog like her. Before that, we went through months of questioning where we were with her and in the end, I started looking at her and she gave me the answer. It is like a puzzle and you just hope you put the right pieces together. But you know him pretty well so if you think that more is going on, then you probably are right. If your vet won't charge you an arm and a leg and try to do a bunch of unnecessary tests, maybe start there.

I think that overdosing is not likely but you might reduce for a couple of days and see if the numbers go down.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Mel... A couple of years ago Lily started to show signs of arthritis. She was limping after getting up in the morning. Her vet recommended Dasuquin Soft Chews for large dogs and it has worked well for her. She gets one chew per day.

Hope you can figure out Vinny's issues. They do keep us on our toes

Mike
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Founding Member

dont have anything to add mel but you always seemed to find a way to help vinny with his challenges and get him to a better place
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 AM

Thanks All...

I've made Vinny an appointment later this week with our vet. He needs to have some bloodwork done anyway, so Dr. will check him out at the same time. I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't seen anymore high 400's or 500's since this weekend, so I guess that's a good sign. Who knows with these guys!?

Thanks again!
Mel and Vinny
Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 AM
Founding Member

hope it was just a blip! let us know how it goes. Jenny was on tramadol a lot but it zoned her out a little bit
Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Fingers and paws crossed for good news!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM

So, apparently, Vinny is just getting old...and has creaky joints...and of course the diabetes...and the weather can't make up it's mind. I guess all of that equals a dog that is slowing down and not on top of his game. The vet didn't change anything, told me to watch him and do another curve and let him know what the numbers are. He said he trusts that Vinny is well taken care of. I wonder if that's code for "I bring Vinny in to see them so much, Vinny thinks he lives there!"?

Seriously, I guess it was just a gut check. I need to do the curve next weekend and see how he is. Of course last night, he completely refused to eat! Most of you know, that is so unlike Vinny, warning bells and red flags immediately go off! This morning he ate, but not without a little coaxing. Wonder if that will throw off the curve.

Mel and her Monster Vinny!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 PM

Hey there Mel,
I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and Vinny. It's hard when you can tell they just aren't felling 100% their best. Any morning I had to coax Bazzle to eat (even after Bazz's cancer diagnosis) my stress level would go through the roof. So I hope the weather will figure out what it wants to do and stay consistent for a while, so that Vinny can adjust and gain some comfort, and so you don't have to feel so anxious for him.
Keeping you guys in my thoughts,
Audrey
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:29 AM

I think we all know that our pups like to throw us curve balls once in awhile just to keep us on our toes. Vinny is no different. He's had a couple of things going on lately that has required antibiotics and an X-ray today. So, yesterday when I tested him before breakfast he was at 108. I know him so I didn't give him insulin right away and he went down after eating. After Karo twice he started going up. He got half his insulin, but last night my husband didn't test him and still have him his full dose. This morning he was at 44! I tested him again...45. I gave him breakfast and Karo and he's going up but not very quickly. Question: should we skip his dose completely this morning? We both have to go to work, but Gabbi can test him and give him some insulin later. I'm just not sure what to do with him!

Thanks for any ideas you might have!
Mel
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Founding Member

when Jenny was in the 40's my vet had me completely skip the insulin. she was a little high eventually and it took a couple of days to straighten out but if I were you I'd skip it.

hugs to Vinny