Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Treats & meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Oh yeah. Finally got around to bathing her today. Wasn't too bad, but NOT her favorite activity! At least she doesn't get the zoomies & rub against everything afterwards like Dingo does. Rick
What, no bath pictures???
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acushdogsmom View Post
What, no bath pictures???
She's a LADY!

She has her dignity!

Rick
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
She's a LADY!

She has her dignity!

Rick
Of course she is! My bad! What was I thinking?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

Very exciting that she's putting on weight!

Seems like a lot of dogs are not big on breakfast. Chris was and Jack is ready to eat pretty much any time I'd like to offer but I often hear about dogs who have just flat refused to eat breakfast.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Very exciting that she's putting on weight!

Seems like a lot of dogs are not big on breakfast. Chris was and Jack is ready to eat pretty much any time I'd like to offer but I often hear about dogs who have just flat refused to eat breakfast.
hehe...so today she decides she WANTS her brekkie! Go figure.

She's a clever girl. We did "stay" & "come" this AM. After about two reps she ate her reward & dashed right back to the starting point, sat down & waited for the next command.

I've added a "weight" line to her Diastix log so I can track her weight gains or losses. There was quite a difference from my bathroom scale & the scale at the vets but I'll be able to see her trend.

Rick
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Default Lucy has a booboo....

Lucy has a little sore on the inside of her rear leg. Not a cut. No bleeding, just a couple drops of ooze. Right now it just looks like a little pink bit of skin. Doesn't seem to be bothering her.

It looks like it is in the scar tissue left over from her dog attack. The skin there is paper thin & tight. No hair, either. It almost looks like the skin just split a little.

Do I need to be super worried about infection with a diabetic dog? If that booboo was on one of my other dogs it wouldn't really worry me.

Ya know, it occurred to me that if Lucy had the sudden weight loss to make her skin & bone like she is, wouldn't there be a lot of loose skin?

She's kinda been a layabout today. She'll get up & walk around & play a bit but she really has spent a lot of time laying around on the patio & in her crate.

I took her with me to visit vets today & see if we could get a deal on spaying. Nobody in town offers rescue rates but I did get a couple of numbers to call. I also found out that San Diego HS possibly offers vouchers that can knock some $$$ off the bill. I'll be checking on that.

Rick
Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Founding Member

Rick

I don't think Lucie would get alot of loose skin, I am trying to put weight on Niki whos lost quite a few pounds, can't say any loose skin on her, maybe this happens with older dogs don't know, Niki will be 12 this year, usually what I see with older dogs is they gain weight from less exercise etc, not all do but some

hope this helps
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Great idea. I'm keeping a log on Lucy but always nice to have stuff stored online.

Also nice to have info posted where experts can have a look.

Dog's name: Lucy
Breed: Australian Cattle Dog
Dog's weight: 1/12/09 28#

Diet: 1/12/09 1.25 cups W-D/1.25 cups Kahoots x twice daily

Insulin: 1/12/09 Vetsulin
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 7 x twice daily

Brand of BG meter if home testing:

Curve by vet 12/26/08

1 - 442 @ 10:30 AM
2 - 406 @ 1:30 PM
3 - 450 @ 4:30 PM
4 - 454 @ 2:30 PM
5 - 300 @ 4:30 PM

HUH? OK. They totally hosed the time entries. What else did they screw up? I'm guessing the times should be every two hours, but which is which?

Vet initially advised 5 units twice daily on 12/20/08. This was the curve that made them advise going up to 7 units twice daily. No check was done after that.

Not confidence inspiring...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

That is weird! Well, it's obvious it wasn't enough insulin so at least it was useful that way.

I'm looking forward to all the testing supplies reaching you so that hopefully you can do some testing of Lucie and see what's really going on.

If she will let you handle her lips, that's a really easy place to test. They have very few nerve endings there so it doesn't bother them and it usually gives a nice big drop of blood very easily. Vets sometimes suggest ears but in dogs that's more often difficult. Works better with cats.

I've mentioned a few times that we actually didn't test Chris in the position in the video but adjusted to make it easier to film.

I usually had him lie on the floor his side and then I'd flip his lip up so had a nice flat mostly horizontal surface to work with. Patting it dry makes a big difference - keeps the blood from mixing with saliva and spreading.

Places like the vet's office that wasn't usually feasible so then I did it with him in a sit.

I'm so anxious for her appointment tomorrow! Finally will get to settle a few questions.

Natalie
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Founding Member

Thanks for that reply Fishslayer, anytime you are up late & have a question I am usually somewhere on online.

You on Pacific time?
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Tags
rescue