Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Lucie has a foster home!! Yes!! Thank you Rick!!

Thought you might like to know that Lucie's insulin has been increased to 8 units as of a couple of days ago. She had a fructosamine test, which came out at 631 (HIGH) with a reference range of 180-320 for normal so her regulation has a way to go yet.

Rick is working on getting some weight on her too so she's probably eating more than she was.

The meter arrived so he's going to be digging into home blood glucose testing soon. The urine strips have been running in the 2,000s on a full bladder and more like 500-1,000 on a fresh sample at mid-day.

Natalie
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Default First BG test. WOOHOO!

Received the One Touch Ultra 2 meter today. Thanks very much Marianne!

Instructions were dead easy. Setup & coding was no sweat.

Did the control fluid test.

Now...

Hold still, dog!

Actually, Lucy was not the problem, I was. The hard part was setting the lance to get enough blood.

First poke... no blood. Turn the lance up a notch. Second poke... AHHH! plenty of blood! Filled the strip... hmm... machine turns off if you don't test after a certain time... GRRR! Let's give poor Lucy a break.

Anyway, only botched two strips. Had the wife help me at 6:30 PM & got a successful test! The lance was set at 5 & I got the sample from her lip.

She tested 283 10 1/2 hours after her morning meal & injection of 8 IU.

Her activity was low today. She played with the pack a bit this morning & layed around most of the day. She was in a pretty good mood this evening.

I did a urine strip at 2:30 today & it was around 1000.

So we are on the way to getting her regulated!

Rick

Last edited by Fishslayer; 01-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Founding Member

Yeah !! you did your first test

Sometimes with the urine strips you just can't rely on them, for instance if you would be in the negative area alot you don't know where BG is at during the course of a day. and with high bg urine stored in the bladder for sometime will show hi on strips with a diabetic. With my thought seeing a constant negative on the urine strip is more worrisome to me than seeing the high.

But hey looks like you are doing a great job.

Congrats on your testing !!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Last edited by eyelostit; 01-16-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Interim CC

Maybe you could practice your technique on yourself (or your wife if she will co-operate) and then once you've got that down pat you can let yourself loose on Lucy.

Alison
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonandMia View Post
Maybe you could practice your technique on yourself (or your wife if she will co-operate) and then once you've got that down pat you can let yourself loose on Lucy.

Alison
I wish I could. The problem I'm having is getting repeatability with the lance.

I got a good drop set at 5 on the good test. I changed the tip & tried to get another test 2 hours after her meal & got no blood at all. Set it to 6 & got a good drop but the blood wouldn't draw up into the window. Poor Lucy had had enough & so had I. I was SO frustrated.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Rick
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Default Lucy's test 1/17

Used a Diastix on Lucy's second pee this AM before her meal & it read 1000. Quite below what I had been seeing before we upped her dose and has been fairly consistent.

Got a good test this AM. 351 at 10:00 AM 2 hours after her meal/injection.

hehe... I took Allison's advice & tested my technique on my wife this AM.

Actually, the lancing device was Dingo's dewclaw but I think I have a good handle on drawing the blood up. Gotta get juuuuust the tip of the window on the blood. Works great when the "animal" is holding still.

Now I have a 102 BG in the memory...

So far it takes the two of us to get Lucy to hold still enough for the test. Hopefully I'll be able to do it myself eventually.

Rick
Old 01-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Founding Member

I don't use the thing you are using, i just twist the top off the lancet, then slowly push in to her tail, milk it abit, if no blood i use lancet again and turn it a little, when i started years ago i did the quick prick but never got any blood its the thick skin.

It does make you a bit weary till you get, but you'll get there.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Interim CC

With the holding still for testing, this might be a very good opportunity for using the clicker. You know, start out with a split second of stillness and then shape it up to thirty seconds (or whatever you need) of sitting rock still.

I used this with cleaning my lively and reactive ACD's teeth - not something he innately enjoys at all - and now he sits and allows me to do a thorough job although it has taken a while to get to this point. I couldn't use the clicker as such (don't have enough hands) but I had previously conditioned him to respond to the word "good" in the same way so I could use this instead. I'm sure Lucy would catch on a bit faster than Zac as she sounds a lot quieter and more compliant and maybe (dare I say it) a bit brighter - or more of a "thinker" anyway!

Alison
Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Oh, she's a "thinker" all right.

She gets most of her meal as rewards with a clicker. We're doing "come, sit, stay."

After a couple reps she has learned to run back to the start & "sit, stay" without being told.

Keeps me on my toes as I have to constantly vary the routine.

Rick
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Oh, she's a "thinker" all right.

She gets most of her meal as rewards with a clicker. We're doing "come, sit, stay."

After a couple reps she has learned to run back to the start & "sit, stay" without being told.

Keeps me on my toes as I have to constantly vary the routine.

She tested 363 at 6:09 PM tonight 2 hours before her meal.

Rick

Tags
rescue