For those who give homemade food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who give homemade food!

What do you feed? the ingredients, and also which vitamin/mineral do you add, and why? Thank you! We decided to home cook for our daisy because the dry food is just difficult to find the right one.

Re: For those who give homemade food!

Jesse is a 26 pound beagle and only gets one meal a day . She gets a 3rd of a cup of skinless chicken (white or dark meat ) ,pinto or black beans , A variety of vegetables grind up in a food processor , 2 hard boiled eggs, A slice of sweet potato yam and bit of canned mackerel . I use grind up eggshells using a coffee grinder for calcium , add milk thistle and vitamin b-12 . I sprinkle yeast flakes on top for flavor . She also gets a type of milk bone for a snack which is a vita bone and is like a multi vitamin . Now her meal evolved over time . Started with a raw meat diet which was not a good idea . she has been on a homemade diet for ten years now and I am glad I decided to go that route .
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Daisy is a 20lb mini schnauzer and I home cook for her and the ingredients are down in the signature.

I measure every ingredient in grams, that way if there is an issue I can narrow it down very easily to a few ingredients. The reason why I measure in grams is so I know she is consistent in what she's getting each meal. I grind up the chicken, green beans and chana dal in the food processor, about 6 quick pulses, and add 1/3 cup water.

Her vitamin is VetriScience Canine Plus Senior Multivitamin. I've heard there are many good vitamins out there, including Centrum, that you can give. Home cooking does not give the vitamins they need. I add the ground eggshells for calcium.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
        I add the ground eggshells for calcium.
        How much eggshells would they need, is there a formula? I know that the calcium/phosphorus balance is an important one

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
          Jesse is a 26 pound beagle and only gets one meal a day . She gets a 3rd of a cup of skinless chicken (white or dark meat ) ,pinto or black beans , A variety of vegetables grind up in a food processor , 2 hard boiled eggs, A slice of sweet potato yam and bit of canned mackerel . I use grind up eggshells using a coffee grinder for calcium , add milk thistle and vitamin b-12 . I sprinkle yeast flakes on top for flavor . She also gets a type of milk bone for a snack which is a vita bone and is like a multi vitamin . Now her meal evolved over time . Started with a raw meat diet which was not a good idea . she has been on a homemade diet for ten years now and I am glad I decided to go that route .
          That's amazing that he's doing so well as a diabetic for 10 years. THat's a huge testament to you as an owner! We hope to find a balance for daisy too. She's starting to have flare ups again on her skin.

Comment

Originally posted by anotherk9lover View Post
            How much eggshells would they need, is there a formula? I know that the calcium/phosphorus balance is an important one
            I give her about 1/4 t per meal.
            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
              I give her about 1/4 t per meal.
              Jesse is about the same but I dont actually measure and just sprinkle it on top of her food and I haven't seen any problems with the lack of calcium

I think we may go a bit overboard with everything being exact and yes it can be helpful especially for a diabetic dog but I dont think it has to be perfect to have good results

If the stools are good and no gastro issues with adequate regulation your probably good to go
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Ok so we tried to feed a recommended homemade diet, and her sugars are uncontrolled again, 500's down to 300's, I don't think this is going to work for us unfortunately

Comment

Working...
                X