Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Scruff the Schnauzer

Some give 1/4 of the insulin to handle the basal needs. But, not knowing the level, you are ok to skip it. He will probably run higher than normal later of course. Hopefully, Mr. Scruff will not make this a habit.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Founding Member

for most our pups a quarter of the normal dose without food is ok but since being so new to this and a very active dog without home testing i would not give any insulin if no food is consumed . your not sure if the dose your giving now is to much to little or on the rare occasion just wright

when you reach a time your dog is close to regulation since he is so active it may not be appropriate to have tight regulation ( close to normal blood sugar )
because he is so active . dogs do not need perfect blood sugar and can be higher . just to give some perspective a dog can do very well with blood sugar from 150 to 250 and have a healthy life
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM

I apologize if this is stating the obvious but just learning the testing and having the supplies would be helpful at times like this. You wouldn't have to test as often as some of us do, but it can addictive. There are many times that come along where knowing the level is important. For example, if you try to deviate from the schedule due to an event you are attending, it is easier to work around. He should be fine without especially if he acts like he feels good. It is much scarier when they don't eat and are acting sick.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Well, oddly, after a rest on his pad, he did eat and drink ......albeit, about two hours past schedule.

So, considering his morning meal was about two hours beyond the normal schedule, I only gave him 5 units vs the 6 units. That should be adequate to keep him on schedule for his evening meal.

Yes, home meter is on order with supplies!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 AM

Two hours shouldn't be a huge deal - they always say an hour but I have gone two hours earlier and later with no big problem. You might delay his night meal an hour to compensate. The good thing is you guys are on top of him and can be there if anything seems odd. The schedule is important but these guys sometimes have their own ideas so we just have to roll with it.

I think you guys are doing a great job with him - you are really in tune with him already which makes diabetes management that much easier.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:41 PM

Bit of an update:

Scruff is doing quite well. He's adjusted to the strict meal schedule and loves the frozen green beans for a snack. Although he has a hardy appetite and could/would eat more, cutting back the dog bone treats and substituting them with the frozen green beans has resulted in him losing a bit of weight.

We have continued his exercise schedule with no changes. He's very active and likes to play with his toys numerous times per day.

It looks as if about 4.5 to 5 units twice per day is keeping the Glucose Level fairly stable. The Vet started him on 6 units twice per day. He doesn't mind the injections ......... actually wants to smell of the needle after the injection.... doesn't seem to mind the lancet either. He's never shown a reading over 250 nor below 100..... still learning though.

He no longer has accidents and is not drinking loads of water..........
Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Yay! Sounds like things are going well :-)
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Always like good reports!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Founding Member

good news . its a new reality and something that all can live with

jesses dose ended up smaller than her starting dose
Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM

Good for you and Scruff. I wish Pojo's numbers were similar.