Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horribly controlled

Good morning everyone!
    Bailey is a 13 yr old chihuahua. She was diagnosed 1.5 years ago when she went in to get fixed and her sugar was 531. We started vetsulin but it was never really managed. In February of this year I became desperate. She was losing weight, couldn’t get her out of the 400’s, horrible cateracts and no help from vet. Started Lantus- no response. Then went for novalin n&r. Now her sugars weren’t perfect but we finally were seeing numbers in the 200’s, weight gain and activity. She has been at 8units of n and 2 units of r twice a day with her food. She eats nutro weight Mgmt and it’s been helping. We are back to increased thirst and urination and numbers back into the 400s. I feel like I’m failing my dog and have no idea where to go from here! HELP!!

Re: Horribly controlled

Originally posted by Cjjpriss View Post
    ...We are back to increased thirst and urination and numbers back into the 400s. I feel like I’m failing my dog and have no idea where to go from here! HELP!!
    You need to find a board certified internist that has the additional expertise to help your pet. That should be your first priority.

It is likely there are new issues beyond just the diabetes if you had regulation and now you do not. An infection can cause your numbers to go out of whack. Others on this forum may offer some possibilities. Uriniary infection being one or perhaps pancreatitis. That's why you need a good vet who knows what to test for.

Good luck!
    Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

That's a lot of insulin for a Chihuahua. Are you doing curves to check for low numbers and possible rebounds.

That being said, there are many possibilities that could cause deregulation. I'd suggest a full blood panel and urinalysis for starters.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

hi and welcome

How much does your dog weigh ? Do you test blood sugar at home ? Have you or your vet run weekly curves to determine how a dose is working ?

that sounds like a very large dose for a small breed so you may either be giving to much insulin or there could be some other medical challenge causing insulin resistance and needing a larger dose

If you have any curves with type and how much insulin that maybe helpful
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
        X