4 1/2 years with diabetic Terri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 1/2 years with diabetic Terri

Over four years ago, my Jack Russell Terrier was brought to the vet for what I thought was an UTI and severe weight loss. Dr. Goss walks in the room and says "I know what is wrong with Terri. She has diabetes!" I could not hide my surprise at this information. I was SHOCKED!

Thus began our 4 year adventure with K9 Diabetes. At first we were overwhelmed, how would we be able to monitor EVERYTHING she ate? How do we give a shot? Would the shot hurt her? These were just a few of the questions we had.

Her food was switched the OM. She was put on Novalin N. Once a month we have to take her in to have her glucose checked. About every year, we have to increase her insulin up a unit. She does not fight her shot at all. We give her a shot while she is eating her food. It took us a few weeks to get a good routine down. At first I would feed her first and then try to give he shot, this was not effective, all i managed to do was stick myself with the needles. We use the 'short' needles. This prevents sticking ourselves and prevents 'shooting through' (the needle comeing out the other side of the pulled up skin)

Our biggest issue with Terri's diabetes is buying the insulin needles. Several pharmicist in our area give both my husband and myself alot of grief. I have been denied the needles more then once. Our local walmart insisted I create an account with all of Terri's medical information. I gave them everything, dog's name, weight, type of insulin, units given, size of needle, and of course the vets name and number. This same pharmacist will 'quiz' me when I try to buy the needles. She even told me I had to have a prescription. I told I did not have to have one, they were over the counter.

Other then the needle problems, we have had no problems with Terri. She is doing very well. She went blind last year, but you can't tell. She still plays with the other dogs and runs around the house like a hyper little puppy. Terri is now 10 years old.

I just wanted to share my story. I hope it gives hope for those who have recently had their baby diagnosed with diabetes.

~Beth

Re: 4 1/2 years with diabetic Terri

Hi Beth,
    I just saw your post. Welcome to you! And congratulations on Terri's 4 1/2 years with diabetes ! It's great to read your story.

Many states are only able to give a package of 10 syringes without a prescription. I'm surprised they give you such a hard time when you give them your vet's number. I would think they could call and get a script if needed.

If you want to skirt the issue, www.hocks.com has fairly reasonable prices for syringes and they don't require a script.

Again, welcome to you!
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Patti,
      Thank You for sharing, My little Nikki has had diabetic for about two years now. I don't think the have every got her to a good number, but she is doing very well. She also lost her sight but still gets around good.
      We our going to try home testing..
      Carol Ü
      Carol Ü

Comment

Hi Carol,
        Good to hear from you again Glad you're on the road to trying home testing. I copied your post into Nikki's thread here as an update: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2653
        Take care,
        Patty
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Beth I'm Jen. Baxter is our cockapoo dx 7/12. Since you've been
          at this a while and successful may I ask a few questions?
          1. Do u home test? We started last weekend and its making me more neurotiv
          and not wanting to leave house we didn't test for 7 months and he seemed to do fine, but
          recentky getting some 75 and 67 readings??
          2. Do u give a snack? If yes when n what?
          3. Any other tips would b so appreciated thx!
          Cockapoo 11 y/0 27 lbs.Dx: 7/12
          Humulin N 10 units 8 am/8pm
          Blue 1/3 cup chikn grill canned pink +1/3 cup innova prime grain free Or...1/3 cup royal canine gastro food 4 oz. Chikn /brown rice

Comment

Working...
          X