Newly Diagnosed and Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Diagnosed and Confused

Izzy (28 pound Scottish Terrier) was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 weeks ago. She started with 5 units, was tested at the vets a week later and her levels had increased so went to 6 units and a week later was tested again and they were still up so she is now at 7 units. She is on another round of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. She is drinking less than 3 weeks ago and she is less lethargic, although she is still quiet. She is eating prescription low fat dog food for her high triglycerides and treats are limited to veggies and occasional dried lamb lung. I am completely overwhelmed and worried.
    Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Re: Newly Diagnosed and Confused

Hello there!

I like you, was very upset and confused but the good news is you now will have access to lots of helpful info, so don't panic.

It took several dosages before Mr Shadow's proper amount was found, but usually the vet will start w/less amount of insulin and add after the glucose is checked. It took me several months to build enough courage to test him at home, but I could tell he was way too stressed at the vet & that spikes his levels even more!

There are still mornings and rare afternoons when my dog will refuse to eat, no matter what I offer him, but you need to work with what is best for your pet. And they need to have ingested enough food for the insulin to work, so snacking all day is not a good idea. I have just started feeding him baby food turkey & chicken mixed with the prescription hills D/W.

Izzy will be okay because she has you to care for her.
    Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

5.5 to 6 units is a typical starting dosage. A general recommendation for starting is 0.2 units per pound, twice a day. Most pups will require more than this, but it's important to start low and work slowly upwards. Just as an example, my 19 pound Annie is getting 9 units. Keep in mind that every dog / situation is different and insulin dosage is affected by many variables: amount of food, type of food, activity, stress, other medications and much more. As you know, uncontrolled diabetics are prone to UTIs and other infections and infections likely will affect their blood glucose.

Some of us use Cranberry Relief (Amazon, PetCo, PetSmart) to reduce the likelihood of UTIs. Cranberry Relief, or other additives, don't cure UTIs, but may help prevent future problems. I don't think my Annie has had an UTI for 6+ years, but every dog is different.

You've probably read that most on the forum home test their pups blood glucose. Take a look at the many videos on YouTube, or on the main page of this website

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you for all of your information. Once we got the UTO under control I will try the Cranberry Relief. Izzy is wonderful with there insulin shots-not happy but not the drama queen she usually is - we go to the vets once a week for her blood glucose check and the week after next she will stay for her glucose curve. I know I have to work up the courage to do the testing at home - luckily, for now, the vet is close to home.
        Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Hello and welcome!

I think most people on here also felt completely overwhelmed when they first had their dogs diagnosed but the good news is that it fairly soon becomes quite routine. I certainly had never dealt with any dog illness that required me to do any more than just feed them pills at the required intervals, and diabetes does have to be a little more hands on than that.
          (I also had no idea that there would not a be a fixed dose for insulin and didn't realise that getting them regulated is a process which takes time).

If your dog's drinking is moderating then it looks as if she is responding well to the insulin and you are heading in the right direction. Our dog quite often has antibiotics and with some brands I am pretty sure that they make him feel ill as a side effect, so your dog may be experiencing a bit of that too.

Home testing is great in that it provides up to the minute information and you can do it as often as you wish. I was very reluctant to start, didn't think I could do it - then a member on here sent me a meter so I thought I'd better get on with it and I found it wasn't half as bad as I expected. Some dogs don't like it but most seem to accept it quite readily - ours comes up to us with his tail wagging when we say it's time to test him, because he loves the little treat he gets as his reward.

There is a lot of help and experience available through this forum so don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Antonia
          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I could use some reassurance from everyone who has experience. Izzy started an increase to 7 units of Humulin N on Friday and today she is back to drinking and peeing. Every time we increase her insulin dosage she is better for a few days and then reverts back to the drinking and peeing cycle. We take her to the bet to test her blood glucose and it had increased. I know we are in the beginning stages and it will take some time. I trust our vet and from what I read, she is doing everything right. However, I am an emotional basket case - I was in the grocery store this morning and I just started crying. I will be talking to the vet tomorrow since her blood and urine test results will be back tomorrow - she thinks her UTI needs another course of antibiotics. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Isabelle View Post
              I could use some reassurance from everyone who has experience. Izzy started an increase to 7 units of Humulin N on Friday and today she is back to drinking and peeing. Every time we increase her insulin dosage she is better for a few days and then reverts back to the drinking and peeing cycle. We take her to the bet to test her blood glucose and it had increased. I know we are in the beginning stages and it will take some time. I trust our vet and from what I read, she is doing everything right. However, I am an emotional basket case - I was in the grocery store this morning and I just started crying. I will be talking to the vet tomorrow since her blood and urine test results will be back tomorrow - she thinks her UTI needs another course of antibiotics. Thanks for listening.
              Your story sounds pretty normal. 7 units might still be near the starting dosage and she might need more in the future. Infections can cause higher blood glucose readings so that might be adding to her problems. I know it's hard to do, but slow adjustments is the way to go

You are using Humulin-N? Most who are using "N" insulin are using Novolin-N from Walmart. I've used both Humulin-N and Novolin-N and really didn't see any difference. Novolin-N from Walmart is $25/vial (loss leader?) whereas Humulin-N is often $125+ for the same amount.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Forgot to ask: is she spayed? I understand hormones can cause VERY WIDE swings in blood glucose. I think I've read that a small number of female dogs are diabetic only at certain times during their cycle. Hope others will discuss this.

Craig

Comment

Yes, she is spayed.

Comment

And yes, she is on Humulin N - quite expensive; thank goodness we started pet insurance when we adopted her 5 years ago. She is not having a good day today - lots of drinking and peeing!

Comment

Welcome,
                      Novolin n is basically the same as humilin n.it is $25.00 at walmart. It is walmarts contract with the company.many of us ha e switched back and forth as walmart changes compa ies,with no real difference. Also,needles are cheaper there
                      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Izzy (28 pound Scottish Terrier) was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 weeks ago. She started with 5 units, was tested at the vets a week later and her levels had increased so went to 6 units and a week later was tested again and they were still up so she is now at 7 units. She is on another round of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. She is drinking less than 3 weeks ago and she is less lethargic, although she is still quiet. She is eating prescription low fat dog food for her high triglycerides and treats are limited to veggies and occasional dried lamb lung. I am completely overwhelmed and worried.
                        Such a good start to treat you dog! Hope she will getting better soon.

Comment

Thank you for all of your advice and I am happy to report that after 4 weeks of increasingly higher doses in insulin, Izzy's glucose count is finally on a downward trend. It is still in the mid 400's , but her activity level is up and the drinking and peeing are back to normal. Finally some good news

Comment

thats good news

hope for continued progress
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you for all of your advice and I am happy to report that after 4 weeks of increasingly higher doses in insulin, Izzy's glucose count is finally on a downward trend. It is still in the mid 400's , but her activity level is up and the drinking and peeing are back to normal. Finally some good news
                              Hello Isabelle.

You're certainly in the right place for valuable support and information. These folks are amazingly helpful.

I was in your exact place 6 weeks ago. Feeling lost and panicking was a major part of my day. Actually still plays a big part in my world. My 35 lb. Corgi was diagnosed 6 weeks ago and I've been on the same path your currently on.

I'm so happy that Izzy's numbers are stabilizing. I'm still trying to get my boy into the 300 range. Continues in low to mid 4's.

Scooby's on 7 units of Novolin and has been for 3 weeks. I'm thinking I may look into a different food. If I may ask what food are you using?

The original vet sold me Royal Canin Diabetic. He then ran out of stock.
                              I joined here and saw many folks using non prescription foods. I'm thinking I should change. He's been on Blue Buffalo Healthy weight.

His thirst has improved but he's still pretty lethargic.

As I mentioned the folks here are awesome and will help. They "held my hand". I needed it for sure.

Take care and best of luck.
                              Willis

Comment

Working...
                              X