Inspiration for everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiration for everyone

Hi! I haven't written in months, because Ollie is doing great. He was diagnosed with diabetes and hypothyroid last fall. Had both eyes removed due to glaucoma before Christmas.

We had some up and downs trying to get him regulated. Now he's regulated at about 22 units per day. It took him a few months to adapt to blindness, but he's now playing, even running at times. He even retrieves sticks in our pond!

Since his hypothyroid is regulated, everything is more healthy. His fur is triple the thickness and gloss that it used to be. And he's only getting Purina One Smartblend, so it's not some miraculous food. His muscle tone and energy are back where they were several years ago (he's 11).

I just wanted to encourage anyone who's new to this. It is a huge learning curve, but if you can get past it, most dogs can live normal lives. I am so happy that we chose to keep Ollie alive, and he rewards us every day.

Good luck and best wishes,

Mary

Re: Inspiration for everyone

Great news / update!

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you for posting and encouraging those of us that are struggling to get their dog regulated. The ups and downs can not only be frustrating for the owner but also the constant worry about the dogs health takes a toll as well.
      Last edited by KathyLindly; 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM.
      Miss Mollie, rescue pup, Malti-Poo, 12 years old, 10 pounds, diagnosed on 4/3/2017
      She is eating Hills w/d, kibble 1/4 c green beans, 1 tbsp Pumpkin 2X a day, insulin is Novolin currently at 6 units 2X a day
      Using AlphaTrack2 for home testing

Comment

when all this began with jesse i would think many would not take the road jesse and me took . you dont know the outcome ,the financial cost can be allot and most important you dont want to put your dog through any undo suffering

for me i let jesse tell me what she wanted to do and to my surprise she was right and pulled through . i doubted her om that but was amazed how she just kept trying

glad it worked out a true inspiration
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

You and Ollie are very inspirational! A few are new members and it is so good to hear how well he's doing!

for me i let jesse tell me what she wanted to do and to my surprise she was right and pulled through .
          Wow. Wise words.
          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

That's a lovely update on Ollie.

I'd echo your words about it being a steep learning curve at the start but it does become much easier and more routine. We have been at it for four and a half years and our dog Eddie is now 13. He is starting to show his age and sleeps a lot now, but I think he has had a good quality of life despite the diabetes.

Antonia
            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Great update for you and Ollie!
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
              X