No announcement yet.

Newly diagnosed...A BIG thanks to all!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed...A BIG thanks to all!!

Hi everyone. Our precious little chihuahua Tigger was diagnosed almost three weeks ago. Started with the usual numerous "accidents" in the house and drinking water by the gallon!! We got her to the vet within days of the onset. Initially the vet thought it was a urinary tract infection (if only!) but called the next day with the bad news Her BG was 360 and she also tested positive for Keytones. Originally they wanted to hospitalize her but she was acting completely normal so they gave her 4 units of HPN and sent us home with what I feel was very little information. Feeling completly overwhelmed with trying to find all the info I could on the internet about diet, feeding times, injections, problems and just moral support I finally found this site and I couldn't be happier All of you have given me the insight that I'm not alone with this, and it CAN be managed!! For this I am thankful. I already had quite a bit of knowledge about diabetes since my mother was one for 25yrs so I have a grip on the basics, but trying to convert that knowledge to relate to my tiggy is challenging!!
    The basic background... Tigger 15lbs 6yr old Chihuahua... I know, sounds large but she's not fat!
    Started out with 4U HPN twice a day....After 2 days it bothered me that she seemed to be sleeping WAY to much so I halved that and she is acting like her old self. Current dosage 2U twice a day.
    Have her on a diet of 1/2 cup Natural Balance Ultra and 1/8 cup mixture twice a day.
    Mixture= 2 cups boiled chicken breast, 2 cups brown rice, 1 cup greenbeans
    All has been going reasonably well for about 2 weeks and we go to the vet next week to have a curve done.
    Today she finally got tired of the "mixture" and refused to eat (and I also believe she's associating eating with the injection as she books it when I go back to the fridge when she's done) I change the mixture this evening to 2 cups extra lean hamburger 2C brown rice, and 1C cooked broccolii which she devoured!!
    Sorry this is soooo long, but I guess what I'm seeking is....does it sound like I'm doing ok?? I guess I just need reassurance.....Thanks for listening

Sandy and Tiggy
Working...
X