No announcement yet.

Queen Angel Tiggy July 30, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newly diagnosed...A BIG thanks to all!!

For some reason, here in OK, the insulin doesn't require a prescription, but the syringes do. I have to go through the explanation about it being for my dog sometimes and they've called my vet a couple of times, but not usually much of a hassle.

Pat

Comment

Just did a search about insulin and prescriptions. Looks like only Alaska and Virginia require prescriptions for NPH. More States require prescriptions for syringes.

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes...tion-laws.html
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

And, altho it may not be a State regulation to require a script for syringes it can be a particular store or even community that will require a script even tho the State does not.

California does not require a script for syringes...my local Walmart phamacies do.
        Right at the time Walmart was changing their policy I didn't know and when I asked for a box of syringes I was asked what they were for...I said my dog is diabetic...the cashier hesitated and asked if there was anyway I could prove it until I actually get a script from my vet.
        I thought for a second and said that my dog was out in my car and that her collar has a tag identifying her as being an insulin dependent diabetic.
        She said that will work so I went out and got the collar off Mildred and showed it to the cashier....she noted it in her book and sold me the syringes.

So, don't just assume that you can purchase syringes anywhere or any time if you live in a State that does not require a script....know store policies.

I actually always carry a spare script for syringes or any other prescription meds my pets might be one at the time.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Wow, living in CA I just assumed they required a prescription for everything!!!! So what your saying is that I can just go to Walmart, walk up to the pharmacy counter and ask for a bottle of ReliOn branded Humulin-N and a box of syringes without a prescription?? Thanks for the research Craig

Pat..I do have a Sams club near me as well. Do you know if it's the same price as Walmart since its the same company? I'll give both places a call and see what exactly they require to get what I need!!

Eileen.. What part of CA do you live in?

Patty thanks for telling me I have time to figure this all out....I have a sense of urgency of getting it all done now I will do my research and speak with my vet and get more info here before I go haphazardly poking my poor baby and destroying all trust she has in me. Making a list now of the different lancets, meters etc to research. Got my work ahead of me

Sandy

Comment

Thanks Patty, I'm going to have to go smack my vet. Maybe that's why my AlphaTrak and his analyzer came out so close.

Since you said that I've been doing some googling and I've found some interesting info that agrees with you, but percentages of how much difference there is in glucose levels between venous and capillary blood vary and as usual depends on many things like if the body is stressed, if you've squeezed too hard trying to get a blood drop, if it's from the finger, arm or other site, etc.

I just need to remember to keep it simple and go by the information I get from my AlphaTrak and not worry about venous, capillary and every other possible variable. Yeah, I can do that. Maybe I should go read some more first though.

Pat

Comment

Sandy,

Yes, the price for all of the Relion insulin and supplies at Sam's are the same as at Wal-Mart. Since I'm at Sam's about 3 times a week, I've had all of my prescriptions transferred there. Much nicer to get everything there while I shop. The only problem I've had so far, at least here, is that Sam's pharmacy is closed on Sundays, so I've learned to get everything I need before then.

I know how you feel about wanting to know everything now, I'm the same way and forcing myself to slow down isn't easy, but if you don't you end up exhausted, confused and overwhelmed because of bouncing from one subject to another, learning only a little about a lot of subjects and putting too much pressure on yourself. And there is always more to learn.

I thought I had to get Bailey stabilized and regulated immediately, but I've learned that it can take a long time for some dogs. I'm still trying, he keeps getting closer and he's still doing fine in spite of me.

Pat

Comment

Sandy,

I live in the Central part of the State....between Stockton and Bakersfield.

Are you in California too?

I'm still working at figuring it all out and Mildred has continued do do well all of these years, as I learn.
                ;-)

Some dogs find 'regulation' easily while others are an on going project.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Eileen, Quite a large distance between Stockton and Bakersfield lol I'm located just south of Sacramento right off of 99....small world!!!

I'm sure I will be figuring out new and different things for a long time...how long has Mildred been diabetic?

Comment

Tiggy goes in tomorrow for her 1st curve at the vet....hopefully all goes well!! Still getting up the nerve to do our own testing here at home...I have all my supplies to do so and have done my own a few times to get the feel of everything

Comment

Its a good idea to bring your meter with you to vet and compare maybe they can give you a print out of the results good luck
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I will, thanks for the reminder!!

Comment

I live in the California desert, in Rancho Mirage next to Palm Springs. My vet gave me a script for everything the first time - but since then, they just give me whatever I want!!
                          Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

You're doing fine Sandy, just ease into the testing at your own pace until you start feeling comfortable with doing it more often. The important thing is that you've started and can do it if necessary. Right now you can just try it when you think Tiggy is acting abnormal. I just do it a lot more frequently because we never know what Bailey's levels are liable to be through the day and he doesn't give us many hints.

Let us know how everything comes out at the vet's.

Pat

Comment

Good luck with the curve today! I'm anxious to see the results.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Pat! You're so sweet and reassuring and that gives me a sigh of relief Tiggy was her usual bouncy self this morning and like I told my husband it's hard to believe that there is something medically wrong with her. I can always notice even the smallest changes in my animals, just like I could with my kids which makes things difficult because as one pediatrition told me is "it's crazy, you must have a sixth sense because you always catch things before they test positive for it!!" And ultimately I'm right!! Kinda scary.

Should be an interesting day.....They wanted us to come back and give her her shot.....Duh, she ate at 6:30 and my hubby took her in at 8. The tech was surprised she already had her injection Well they told us to feed her BEFORE she came in!
                                Gut feeling here is not much confidence in the vet's office but we'll see.
                                Definately will post about the experience

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                                X