Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Sissy's Mom

If your dog doesn't have a habit of throwing up the food, I recommend giving the shot right after she finishes eating. It seems like your dog processes her food rather quickly. My dog, on the other hand is slowwww. With such a quick absorption, you need to get that insulin in at the time food is eaten so it can combat the rise and start working sooner. You might find a real difference with this small change.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Lol,shows what I know.I thought she was processing food (dco kibble) slow and that's why her numbers were staying high!!!! Will try insulin sooner in a.m.!!again,bless this forum!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Question Re: Sissy's Mom

Numbers for Sissy today.
9 a.m. - 400
11a.m. -221
1 p.m.- 243
3. P.m. - 280

Insulin. Was at 7 a.m., so she peaked between 11 and 1 ????? 4-6 hrs. Is that good ??? Or to early. I will do insulin sooner in a.m.!!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Question Re: Sissy's Mom

When I do insulin tomarrow 30 minutes after food,will it change peak,lower more or what?????
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Founding Member

that's about normal my jesses drop slows down at hour 4 and is done by hour 6 maybe the earlier shot may help if you can get that 400 down you may see very nice numbers
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM

It's neither too early or too late. It just is. Don't worry about trying to move the peak. What is needed is less of a drop and lower numbers overall. But let's see what happens when you give food and shot closer together. :-)
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylynjm View Post
Numbers for Sissy today.
9 a.m. - 400
11a.m. -221
1 p.m.- 243
3. P.m. - 280

Insulin. Was at 7 a.m., so she peaked between 11 and 1 ????? 4-6 hrs. Is that good ??? Or to early. I will do insulin sooner in a.m.!!
Insulin peak could have been before 11 and she was already heading up with the 221. Actually, not really any significant difference between 221 and 243. Anyway, you might hold the insulin steady for another day? I imagine the 5pm is going to be high, will you try to inject right after the meal?

There is no right, or wrong insulin peak. Some dogs might peak early, like in only 2-3 hours; others peak around 6 hours; still others peak shortly before the next meal (11-12 hours).
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Exclamation Re: Sissy's Mom

I'm going to do 30 minutes after meal and stay at 6 1/2 units.should I still so curve Saturday as I planned? Sorry if this double posts,having trouble getting this to go through.!!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM

If I remember corectly this is the 2nd day on 6 1/2? Then Saturday would be ok to curve. You can doa curve anywhere from 3-5 days after a dose change. As the numbers get closer to ideal you may want to let the doses settle in for a bit longer.

Try to keep things as consistent as possible three days prior to curving.

I look forward to it.

Tara
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Smile Re: Sissy's Mom

can't wait to do it. Way over due. Sat will be 4th full day at 6 1/2, but she was on 6 1/2 for awhile before. Only 6 for 3 doses when I changed to novolin.