Bella Blessing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bella Blessing

My girl is 14lbs and is on Cansulin takes 3.5 twice a day. Her numbers are in a really good range since I switched her food a couple of months ago.Even when her numbers were very high before her insulin injection she never showed any clinical signs. I wasn't happy with the highs so I thought it may be the food so that's when I switched. also where we make the insulin injection makes a difference.

Not much more to say. I am so happy with my girls progress . Just passing on some ideas that worked for me. And may work for others.

Re: Bella Blessing

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like Bella(?) is doing great. Are you home testing her blood?
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi there welcome to you and Bella ! Sounds like you are doing really well. Maybe you could post some more info like what food you give her etc also do you test her bg at home ?

There are a few of us on the forum who use Caninsulin so it's always nice to see how other pups are doing on it . Look forward to hearing more about Bella !
      Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
        Welcome to the forum. Sounds like Bella(?) is doing great. Are you home testing her blood?
        Yes we home test her. I think what regulated her was a combination of organic canned grain free food and where I inject the insulin for more absorption . I posted a link to the food somewhere on here but can't find it. Where is the other place I was posting?

Comment

Originally posted by amholmesy View Post
          Hi there welcome to you and Bella ! Sounds like you are doing really well. Maybe you could post some more info like what food you give her etc also do you test her bg at home ?

There are a few of us on the forum who use Caninsulin so it's always nice to see how other pups are doing on it . Look forward to hearing more about Bella !
          http://vetschoice.com/productinfo.php?productID=1000038
          This food is incredible. I also crunch up some green beans in a blender. She also get organic coconut oil. http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blog...your-dogs.html. This seems to keep any possible infections at bay.

Comment

Here is her last curve on November 28/12

Starts before meal at 7am and taken every two hours
            Sorry my US friends I don't know how to convert

to recap the things I do is alternate injection sites and I no longer put in scruff of the neck.
            Switched to grain free wet food so less carbs
            I have a picture of best injection sites I just forget where I saved it. I will keep looking.

Comment

very nice a very safe range to be in

you can multiply by 18 to get u.s. measurements

we use yams in jesses diet which is a form of sweet potato which is a carb that worked very well for jesse also

i do think that is the key for many is selecting the carb the works best for the individual diabetic dog
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Blessing View Post
                Here is her last curve on November 28/12
                14.7 ..... 264.6
                16.6...... 298.8
                11.6..... 208.8
                12.5..... 225

Starts before meal at 7am and taken every two hours
                Sorry my US friends I don't know how to convert

to recap the things I do is alternate injection sites and I no longer put in scruff of the neck.
                Switched to grain free wet food so less carbs
                I have a picture of best injection sites I just forget where I saved it. I will keep looking.
                how do I take US numbers and go back to Canadian ?
                Last edited by Bella Blessing; 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

divide by 18 will reverse back to you measurements
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Those numbers look really good! Well done you are doing a great job managing the food and testing . Thanks for the links for food and the coconut oil. Patty had told me about it - I am going to incorporate it into CJ's diet but just a little at a time as he has pancreatitis as well.
                    Last edited by k9diabetes; 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM. Reason: NK
                    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Check with your vet or even your human Dr about the coconut oil with pancrititis. Coconut oil is a good fat that lowers cholesterol. My uncle is a Dr and that's what he told me. Start with 1/4 teaspoon and work up slowly to 1 teaspoon per 10lbs. If you start too much too fast you risk your pet getting the runs. My holistic vet told me that animal fat is what causes pancrititis.

Comment

Hope you and your boys and girls have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Comment

Does anyone have anything they would like to share with me about their experiences with their diabetic pets? I have run out of things to talk about.

Comment

Hi everyone thought I would drop by and say hi.
                            Hope all is well

Comment

thanks jesse is doing good enjoying life and doing the things beagles like to do how is bella doing

Comment

Working...
                              X