Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching up...

Hi All!

Sorry I haven't been around lately...it's been a hectic few weeks. I wish I could say that was in a good way. I could go into a lot of details, but the highlights (lowlights) are...

• Both Gabbi's hamsters died within 2 days of each other for no apparent reason.
    • My husband was in the hospital the entire week of Christmas.
    • I found out I have skin cancer...but from what I'm told, it's the kind I would want to have...assuming anyone would want to have cancer of any kind.

Silver lining...
    • We did get to spend New Year's Eve with just a few family and friends which was nice.
    • And my sister is doing very well since her surgery.
    • The three of us have been out of school and off work because of the snow and cold here, so we've been able to spend some time together.

So, I guess the long and short of it is...my family could still use your prayers and positive thoughts. And I'll try to be a bit more visible here on the forum!

Happy New Year All!!
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Re: Catching up...

Hi Mel. I hope your husband is ok and good for you on looking at a silver lining. I am so glad we are done with 2013. Lets hope we all have a better 2014! Judi
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

you are such a positive individual mel looking for the positive in a difficult situation I do admire people like that

as judi said hope this year is better for everyone including there family , friends and of coarse our fury loves
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Wow, hectic doesn't even begin to describe what you've been through. I'm impressed that you've managed to find the silver lining. I might not have if I was in your position. Positive thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family..we are all here if you need an ear. Take care of yourself!!
        Danielle and Ollie - 10.5 yo Silky Terrier May 17, 2003 - February 15, 2014. diagnosed Dec 28, 2012. See you on the other side Baby Bear.

Comment

Wow, Mel - I am amazed at how positive you are! I would be crying in my wine. Sending positive thoughts your way right now!
          Amy
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Stay positive, Mel! Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way!
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Hi Mel,
              Bazz and I want send our high hopes for 2014 to you
              Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Wow Mel. Will pray for a healthy New Year for you all going forward.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Mel,

Hoping for a much better 2014 for you and your family. I just recently heard that they have a cure for skin cancer. Hoping that your husband is feeling better, and you are cured.

Prayers...
                  Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Wow; congratulations on your positive attitude. That is definitely the way to go. Sending all possible additional healing vibes (and sounds); may your 2014 be a turn-around to various small miracles! <3
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

Re: Catching up...Update

January was a lot of the same from December. I was hoping it would be better! My husband finally has gone back to work this week! After his stay in the hospital, he was off week a total of 3 weeks and went back to work. Three days later he was sick at home with a fever and what we thought might be pneumonia. Back to the hospital, but just ER to run all kinds of tests. All to find out he had a virus...a severe virus that ended up with him out of work for a couple more weeks. Maybe February will bring good news! (crossing fingers and toes)

I've got my surgery dates for the skin cancer they found. Not until March, so I guess if they aren't more worried, I shouldn't be.

Gabbi is having boy trouble...I hate for her to be going through this. We all have had broken hearts, it's just something we learn from.

I really had to think what the silver lining is in all of this, but here's what I've come up with...
                      • Gabbi and I did not catch what John had...thank God for extra bedrooms!
                      • Gabbi and I have become closer through her boy troubles...just me listening and being there.
                      • Even though John has had to take so much time off, he still has a job!
                      • None of our other animals have died since the hamsters. Although Patches (14 years old), our oldest cat has lost a lot of weight and seems to be slowing down.
                      • Added this BIG silver lining...John quit smoking!! Being so sick, he really didn't have a choice!

Hope all is well with everyone!
                      Melanie
                      Last edited by Monsters Momma; 02-05-2014, 09:12 AM. Reason: Adding another silver lining! ;)
                      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

isnt it weird you can find a silver lining in some challenging situations it does take a forward looking person to see that

i look back at jesses challenges and it changed many ways on how i think about things and thats for the good we are here for lessons learned and hopefully develop some wisdom along the way
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Glad everyone is doing ok and that you have a date for your surgery. Sending prayers your way that it will go smoothly for you.

Now onto the serious stuff - boy trouble? I'll have to sit back and learn from afar. My girl is nearly ten and her father is not going to do well with boys. She's always called the males in her class 'boys' and a few weeks ago she called one of them a 'guy' and the husband freaked! "A guy, not a boy?" The question consumed the entire dinner conversation.

Hope all else calms down in your life. A couple of weekends ago I felt terrible - simply no energy. No fever. No chills. No loss of appetite. But I slept more than I have in a really long time - for three days. Over Christmas break in a ten day span we cleaned John's dad's house, de-cluttered it, painted it, staged it, put it on the market and sold it. Then helped him purchase the house next door to us. Just waiting on a closing date anticipated some time this month. I suspect the exhaustion from those ten days caught up with me - LOL!
                          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                            Now onto the serious stuff - boy trouble? I'll have to sit back and learn from afar. My girl is nearly ten and her father is not going to do well with boys. She's always called the males in her class 'boys' and a few weeks ago she called one of them a 'guy' and the husband freaked! "A guy, not a boy?" The question consumed the entire dinner conversation.
                            Oh Holli! Do I know how you feel!! John is not doing well either, and I've had to tell him to back off a little! I want Gabbi to feel that she can talk to either of us, I mean, what if something happened to me tomorrow!? John has learned to tone it down, but occasionally he has those conversations that last through dinner too!
                            Hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                            X