Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Bosco

The one thing that really jumps out for me are the carrots...many diabetic dogs will see an increase in the sugar levels with carrots, some are not affected.
A carrot would send my girl's sugar levels high.

In order to see how treats, or anything for that matter, will affect our diabetics is to blood test before and then after.
With testing we can see what effect, if any, the food in question will have on the sugar levels.

Because I blood tested at home I did not have Vet run curves.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Basically, with testing, you are learning how the food and insulin are coming into balance for your dog. I test four times a day. Before each meal, at noon, and before bed. When you get to a certain point, you won't necessarily have to do it that often. My dog has tendancies to go low easily especially after exercise, a bath or sometimes for reasons I am not certain of.

The main advantage of testing is to keep them safe. If you test at fasting before meal time, and you were to get a lower than expected number, then you might want to rethink the dose of insulin. We don't habitually change dosage based on readings but if the number is below 100, it does make a difference because low sugar can be deadly. Here is an example from a day last week for my dog: Morning fasting 150, Noon 180, Evening Before meal 53 so, my plan is feed her normally, set a one hour timer and recheck her. There is no way I would give any insulin without making sure she came up to an acceptable level. Another recent event - we decided to go walk, i checked her before and she was at a good level like 180 I think. We went around the block nothing major and got back. She seemed fine and she tested at 44. So, I immediately gave her a snack.

As you test and learn your dogs patterns, you will see where you can make subtle adjustments to the things you do whether it is food, timing, insulin, exercise. Little things can make a huge difference.

In the early days, when you try to get to a regulating dose, you will want to keep treats at a minimum. But, that said, I think a pre testing treat and a preshot treat are important. I use a tiny piece of string cheese, or a freeze dried sweet potato chip or a freeze dried piece of buffalo meat. Nothing too carby or big. As your dog's levels become better and you see patterns, you can always add in a treat or minimeal if needed.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
I have freezed dried liver treats from Trader Joeís that I give her several times a day. I have also been giving her garbanzo beans several times a day. She will not eat raw or frozen green beans as a treat.

At the 6 hour mark, I give her 1 hard boiled egg, white only & a few cooked green beans.
The part of the eating routine I donít understand is the treats. Are the treats supposed to be very limited or can they be given frequently? I donít understand about giving a treat & then testing. What is the test looking for, high bg, low bg? I am lost.
I will share/say this. I used to feed kibble as well as raw. I mainly fed grain free foods. My rottie Lou who is the diabetic one was diagnosed with a rare condition called Sebaceous Adenitis,a freakish immune disorder almost a year ago. At that point it was recommended no raw due to the immune disorder. With the meds and supplements he needed to take he also could no longer handle grain free at every feeding so I had to adjust to that. I have always done a rotation of foods from different companies and different flavors. Prior the feeding bag rotation may have went Taste of the wild, evo, origen, canidae grainfree and so on. Well I needed to add more bags of grained foods for that. So the rotation was then about 3 bags of various grained foods...canidae and those type.

When Lou was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 weeks ago we needed to go to 12 hour feedings. I KNOW my boy and I could not/would not make it to 12 hours. So vet told us it was fine to give a little snack meal mid day. But I am seeing where that mid snack meal was bumping up is bg so I have started giving him boiled/cooked rabbit/chicken/turkey/ground beef with a hard boiled egg including the shell and a small spoon of cottage cheese. This seems to be working.

As far as treats... I have never worried about that because I tend to always give either homemade liver jerky, chicken, cheese...some will say no cheese for dogs but the size treat vs the size of my dogs doesn't show any ill results, a piece of popcorn, a chunk of lettuce...ya my whacked crew loves the lettuce, liversausage or any other meat I may have in my fridge. Since I do not do any type of store bought treats I honestly don't worry that the small treats he gets daily matter. That and the fact I am not a give out a treat every 5 minutes kind of owner. I have seen nothing in his readings to even make me consider these treats are elevating his bg too high.

Granted my guy weighs 100lbs and is actually to the lean side for a rottie but I see nothing wrong with a little fingernail tip size treat of protein.

Of course I also give peanut butter with supplements and meds...and because of my guys SA he gets quite a few supplements ect daily so for me I just figure that is part of the way it needs to be.

I guess in my little ramble what I am trying to say is #1- each dog needs things slightly different and #2- a small little piece of protein would be the best type treat if you need to give one.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Another comment on Bosco's diet. As Eileen mentioned, carrots may cause the blood glucose to rise. I think there is conflicting info about carrots (in human diabetics) and would just be mindful that they may affect the BG.

Another thought I have is whether many home cooked meals are really consistent? I realize those who home cook measure / weigh the ingredients, but is each meal consistent? Does each meal have the same amount of each ingredient? I really don't know if this is soooo critical, but it's something else to consider.

Many give a diabetic friendly treat after a blood test, as a reward for testing.

Testing after an unknown treat (something you're not sure how it will affect the BG) can be useful to learn if that treat is "friendly", or if it will cause the BG to skyrocket 100+ points. I wouldn't test right after a new treat, but maybe an hour later after it it was probably digested.

I personally don't usually give between meal treats other than a green bean type of treat. The way I look at is if I had a diabetic human child I'd definitely not give him candy between meals

Craig
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Another question - did your vet test Bosco's triglycerides? That would be a worthwhile test in my opinion! You might want to read through Elliot and Bogie's threads as they are both schnauzers and you can see the challenges they have had - not that Bosco will be exactly the same. All are different
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Bosco trader joe treats

When you get a minute read Hawthorne ,s thread regarding the trader joe treats. He has a log showing the treats raise his blood sugar. When he stopped the treats his bg lowered. Also the carrots would raise his bg .

I use caledon farms beef liver and potato chews they dont raise Rilieys blood sugar. But all dogs are different.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 PM

From reading several posts, it seems like it's not good for a diabetic dog to get a lot of exercise.

Is throwing a ball & she runs after not good? Is taking a walk OK? Thank you.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post

Another thought I have is whether many home cooked meals are really consistent? I realize those who home cook measure / weigh the ingredients, but is each meal consistent? Does each meal have the same amount of each ingredient? I really don't know if this is soooo critical, but it's something else to consider.

Many give a diabetic friendly treat after a blood test, as a reward for testing.

Testing after an unknown treat (something you're not sure how it will affect the BG) can be useful to learn if that treat is "friendly", or if it will cause the BG to skyrocket 100+ points. I wouldn't test right after a new treat, but maybe an hour later after it it was probably digested.

I personally don't usually give between meal treats other than a green bean type of treat. The way I look at is if I had a diabetic human child I'd definitely not give him candy between meals

Craig
As Craig suggests, I think it is important when home cooking to not throw all ingredients into a pot with then dividing out as every meal will not be the same as the next.
When I home cooked for Mildred I carefully weighed each ingredient that went into an individual meal, put that meal in a baggie and repeated.
I prepared several weeks worth of meals at a time with keeping 2 bagged meals in the fridge with the rest in the freezer.
As I fed one meal I pulled another from the freezer.

I personally did not give a treat for injections or for blood tests...just lots of extra hugs!

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
From reading several posts, it seems like it's not good for a diabetic dog to get a lot of exercise.

exercise is fine. I firmly believe a dog should still be a dog. You just may need to adjust insulin or treats! as often exercise can decrease blood sugar significantly
Old 10-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

This is an "every dog is different" kind of question. With Vinny, if he runs around the back yard with Bogey, our non-diabetic dog, it depends on what time of day it is and how much I let them run. For example, if he's already at his traditional low point for the day, I will definitely cut play time short and check him when he comes in. I may let him play more if I'm there to watch or if it's a different time of day. Typically, if he's playing and chasing, I'll test him when he comes in.

Other dogs take long walks, but might have had to work up to that. If your dog is a 'chase the ball' kind of dog, you might want to play it safe and work your way up and test Bosco after each time. Always make sure you have with you or close by a rescue kit...Karo syrup and dog biscuits does it for Vinny when he gets too low.

Did I answer your question or confuse the situation further??