Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Questions re cataract surgery

I gave Mildred her sight back in 2005. For the remaining 7 years of her life she had the most wonderful vision without another eye issue as a result of her cataracts.

Her surgery as well as recovery went off without any complications.

It was the most incredible experience in watching her rediscover her world in the days and weeks following her surgery.

This was very early on when I was very new to the disease and hadn't learned of the many negative issues that can come even with the surgery.
Over the years I have read of quite a few that go on to have other serious complications.

Altho there was a local Vet that performs the surgery I decided instead to go with a Board Certified Ophthalmologist with a great reputation thru out California.
I believe it was his experience and expertise that played a large role in the fantastic results for Mil.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

When I got Maggie's eyes done, she was still what I would consider a young dog, 8 years old. That was a major factor for me and her opthamologist said her age was a factor for him as well. He is reluctant to perform the surgery on older dogs because the risks just are too high for complications. He had a list of criteria to determine if a dog was a good candidate and the day we got our consult, not a single dog that went in before us was deemed a good candidate. He looked at all the factors and had an entire questionaire to determine if we would be capable of taking care of her post-op. That almost scared me off from doing it - I was terrified I would mess it up.

If Maggie had been even a couple of years older, then I probably wouldn't have done it.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 PM

We decided to do cataract surgery for Little Boy In December. He was diagnosed with diabetes March 2013 and lost his sight quickly around November 2013! I was so nervous about doing the surgery because of course there are no guarantees that they will survive the anesthesia, but my vet was so thorough with the pre-surgery testing I felt confident Little Boy would do well. He sends his patients home the same day as he feels they do better at home, and the first night was a little rough, but I have ZERO regrets!!! Little Boy has done fantastic and has his sight back!!!! My only issue during the healing was his bg numbers had been very high due to the steroid eye drops. We are now almost 2 months post op and he is on only 1 drop of three meds once a day and his numbers are starting to go down, although still higher than before. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with higher bg numbers due to the steroid drops? Also does 5 units seem like alot for a 10lb dog??
Little Boy 7.5 yrs
Chihuahua 10lb
Humulin 5 units am/pm
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

forbins BG skyrocketed while being on the eye drops. They are steroids so yes its to be expected. I adjusted his insulin to deal with him. As you decrease them, they BG will drop Glad he did so well in surgery. Forbin did great as well