Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: How does Accucheck Aviva rate?

Would you like us to change the title of your thread? Something like "Grayson the Lab", or ???. Just let us know.

Craig
Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 AM

Does the One Touch Ultra Mini give the same quality results as the regular? I was only able to get the mini, but it appears to take the same strips as the other versions. Is anyone using the Mini, or only the larger size? I was able to get the thicker 26g lancets, and will use the reli-on device with them. I've been getting Grayson used to me touching his lips, so he will hopefully be okay with testing. He is doing well with the insulin and new food - acting much more energetic and only had a trace on the ketone test strip several days ago. He is at 16 units NPH now, but I expect that may change when the vet does a curve on the 18th. That is still a low dose for a 90lb dog, right?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 AM

My 2 cents......I used the Accu Chek Aviva years ago with Mildred. It was one of the many human meters I tried before purchasing the Alpha Trak.
For her it gave very inconsistent readings, it is not a meter that I would suggest.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 AM

My one touch is a mini and it is fine. It was about 5 points off yesterday at the vet office.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Just did a few tests in the last two days to get Grayson slowly used to me testing him at home before I try a curve. I figure he will act better if its not totally new to him when I have to poke at him every two hours. It seems to work best on a callous, as his fur is too thick to reach skin near the tail. Anyway, he'd just been fed, and immediately got a 381 on the One Touch Mini -it should be like a fasting test, as it would have been too soon for the meal to take effect. I then gave his 16 units of Novolin. The ketone tests I did today are the same as last week -the color is somewhere between negative, and a pale 'trace' reading. Along with his having returned to normal water/potty needs, this makes me less concerned by the other two readings being over 400. They've all been done at feeding/insulin time, so it appears to be about his normal place then. Is this sounding right for a fasting BG, even though he's only three weeks into treatment and not yet near what I expect his insulin level to be? He has a vet curve this Thursday, where I expect they will again raise his dose. Does reaching 400s right before meals fit a normal BG pattern at this stage, or should I be alarmed, even though he's no longer showing signs of high levels?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Founding Member

no not at all many dogs have there highest number before food and shot . i do believe this is a very important time to test but as you know its just one number. thats why we base dose adjustments off curves and the adjustment is based on the lowest number in that curve . not the highest or average and not off physical symptoms

its a fairly straightforward procedure
Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Have tried a few searches, but can't seem to find an answer to my question... For those using Novolin on their large breed dog weighing in the 90lb range, how much are you starting on, and if regulated, what dose did you finally settle with?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Have tried a few searches, but can't seem to find an answer to my question... For those using Novolin on their large breed dog weighing in the 90lb range, how much are you starting on, and if regulated, what dose did you finally settle with?
A general starting dosage is frequently .2 unit per pound, so a 90 pound pup might be started abound 18 units. I saw back in post #4 you were giving 16 units and saw at least one number in the low 100s (106)? It will be interesting to see his curve on Thursday. Remember every pup / situation is different.

The shape of the curve varies, Annie usually has her lowest number (nadir) at around the 10 hour point and may rise 100+ points from the 10th hour to the 12th hour / prior to the next meal.

Craig
Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Did a test five hours after food/shot, and he was 361...was at 365 the last test I did just before eating - either I missed the change, or he's not moving much in BG levels. Staying steady would be fine - if that was a number in the mid 100s, or at least under 200 - but I think he's still way too low at only 16 units. There is certainly an increase coming Thursday. I'm just concerned with prolonged BG over 300, as I know that will raise his cataract risks. His vision seems good for now, but I've heard that can change rapidly (he watches the cats wandering next door and focuses on distant things). What are the first signs of problems to look for? As for that 107 reading, that was what it was back in Feb. when he had the NSAID panel done and things looked okay. I've only been testing for a few days and have yet to get a number lower than in the 300s. The last time took less to get cooperation, so I think a gradual introduction to testing is going well enough for us. At least his ketone strips are coming up with a paler version of 'trace', so I'm less worried about crazy highs - he no longer drinks and pees excessively to show that he's in danger of ketoacidosis. I'll try to get the vet to use my meter along with theirs, so we can see its accuracy, but I'm not sure if they'll agree. It is going to be an issue getting him to eat there, as he refused last time. I live a few miles away, so I may just go over at meal time to see if they need my boy to get his mama to make him eat.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Grayson's vet was (thankfully) okay with doing home curves once we get him to better BG levels. His 2nd curve there was still ranging from 315 to 392 using a One Touch Mini that I'd left with the vet tech (she has a diabetic cat, so when I pulled the meter out of my pocket, she offered to do the side by side checks all before I could even ask her to!). I went back for his mealtime and shot so there was no problem in getting him to eat. They did increase his Novolin from 16 to 20 units, but I was happy to hear that, as I'm anxious to get him down to levels safer for his eye health. He seems to have good sight still, but I'm hoping that I can stave off the cataracts for as long as possible. The ER vet told me to expect him to end up with them, as nearly EVERY diabetic dog will get them!

Anyway, Grayson's vet curve was on April 18th, and the first dose at 20 units on the 19th. I waited the five days for things to settle in before driving myself nuts with testing anxiety...and on the 24th, he had his best number yet - 269!!! We finally found those elusive 200's... I've been giving it more time, but I think that I'm going to do a curve in the next day or two. He goes in on May 14th for one more vet curve before I can hopefully rely on home testing for longer intervals between vet visits - the $159 charge on every curve adds up fast. These last 2 months have been expensive and everything is really squeezing our low income to the max. It's been $100 for the 180 Novox pills for his arthritis, plus $78 for NSAID panels to watch his liver function on it...now the $159 for curves, along with the blood work and ER visit when he was diagnosed - and pricier food now as well. Good thing we are used to living a frugal life, as Grayson is getting to be a high maintenance kind of boy to keep happy!

BTW...was thinking of adding a fiber supplement to his food - what is best, and how much should I give? (He's 90lbs)
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Last edited by Grayson; 04-30-2014 at 02:41 PM.