Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Lily - My English Setter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
Hi Natalie,

Thanks for the info. Lily's itching has gotten worse and her vet has referred us to a veterinary dermatologist who is supposed to be very good at determining the root cause, including auto immune issues. Her appointment is on January 17. Wish it was sooner because she is going crazy. Her only relief is while sleeping. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, she is wearing a cone and tee shirt.
We went to the veterinary dermatologist today and Lily has Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and bacterial dermatitis

The itching and hair loss is awful. She is being treated with a topical medication for the mites and got a Canine Atopic Dermatitis Immunotherapeutic (CADI) injection for the itch and a stronger antibiotic for the bacterial skin infection. The CADI injection is from Zoetis, the makers of Apoquel.

I'm really disappointed that her vet didn't catch this back in early December.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 01-21-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Founding Member

yikes

well at least you have an answer and its treatable .

I am stating to feel itchy poor lily

hope things clear up soon
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-19-2017, 06:39 AM

Oh goodness! Glad you sorted out what it is - but yes, agree, too bad the vet didn't figure it out in December! Ugh.

Poor girl...
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Oh poor Lily!
I hope her meds are kicking in, so she feels better soon!
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Thanks for your concern everyone. Lily keeps getting better every day and goes back to the dermatologist in two weeks. Not sure how the mites transferred to her. More than likely it was from another dog. Another less likely possibility is coyotes! We have a pack of coyotes that frequent the woods next to our house and she may have brushed up against something during one of our walks.

The mites also transferred over to me, so I got a prescription for Permethrin Cream to combat the itch. Hopefully we are both rid of the nasty critters.

Her cone is gone now. She still needs the tee shirt to protect her legs and stomach from infrequent periods of biting. Hopefully I can remove that soon.

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:24 AM
Founding Member

I hope you are both feeling better soon! At least the dreaded cone is off. Lily looks very comfy in her t-shirt
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Founding Member

jesse got mites from a feral cat when she was a pup . never came in direct contact with the cat but it was definitely hanging out in jesses back yard . they gave her a chemical bath and that got rid of it in short order

hope those bugs are completely gone soon
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 01-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Good, ... happy to hear you both are recovering!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 AM

Well Lily's had a couple of setbacks since my last post. One of her back feet blew up to twice its size and then she developed several different bacterial infections in her ears and on her chest, feet and legs. She was a mess for several days.

The dermatologist says that diabetic dogs with sarcoptic mange are especially prone to infections due to their compromised immune system. Lily's hypothyroidism also complicates things.

She treated the ear infection with an antibiotic that was syringed into her ear canals. It works over a two week period. Her skin infections are being treated with daily antibiotics and frequent application of a medicated shampoo and daily cleaning with hydrogen peroxide. So far, so good. Things are slowly improving.

She also sent out skin scrapings for a culture to see if any of her infections are resistant to her current antibiotic. The results will be back next week.

Managing her insulin dose has been a challenge during all of this.

On a good note, it appears that all the mites are dead. We will have to continue with a maintenance dose of Revolution to prevent future infestations.

Here she is resting after breakfast...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Founding Member

it seems this all started with the mites .maybe they carried something along with them .

with anything once and infection or disease gets a foothold even a very good immune system can struggle . there are some supper bugs out there maybe caused by are medical practices

I am glad lily is doing better and hope things continue to improve . from the picture she looks perfectly fine