Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Sorry to hear this, Craig, ... but you certainly know how to handle the situation. Expecting you to be out of that diabetic loop in short order!!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Administrator

You must have been feeling left out all these years! 8)

So will you be letting Annie test you?!?

Natalie
Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
You must have been feeling left out all these years! 8)

So will you be letting Annie test you?!?

Natalie
She has followed me to OUR testing counter and seemed confused when I didn't test her.

Craig
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 AM

I will bet Annie thinks you should try all the meters to compare and see which meter works best for Hoomans. So, start stickng
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 AM

Yeah - I concur - I think Annie will want to test you....A LOT!

Sorry to hear this - but you are an expert and are in good hands (and paws)!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Just wanted to show any new members what a little excitement can do to the blood glucose.

5:30a - 201 (gave normal meal and insulin)
Noon - grooming
1:00p - 76 (gave 5 fingernail sized treats)

The excitement was a hard grooming session in which Annie wasn't cooperating at all. It amazes me how a 15 year old blind pup can fight! Today was the hair cut, tomorrow will be the trip to the local Puppy Self-Wash place.

By the way, I'm still on Annie's buddy list because I didn't have anything to do with her torture today. Linda, and our son, are not on Annie's buddy list!

Craig

Last edited by CraigM; 02-19-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM

Hello Craig & family!

I wish the grooming experiences would be less stressful on my pup as well...we've tried at least 4 different options and the current one has the closest location, which is a plus for a dog that absolutely dreads to go for any type of car rides

I have cancelled his dental cleaning due to many reasons...I hope this is the best decision.

Best wishes on your own journey, I am sure you'll make the best of it playing with all those glucose meters in your collection!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:52 PM

Smile Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Just wanted to show any new members what a little excitement can do to the blood glucose.

5:30a - 201 (gave normal meal and insulin)
Noon - grooming
1:00p - 76 (gave 5 fingernail sized treats)

The excitement was a hard grooming session in which Annie wasn't cooperating at all. It amazes me how a 15 year old blind pup can fight! Today was the hair cut, tomorrow will be the trip to the local Puppy Self-Wash place.

By the way, I'm still on Annie's buddy list because I didn't have anything to do with her torture today. Linda, and our son, are not on Annie's buddy list!

Craig
Craig - Sorry to see your blood sugar going all wacky when Annie tried to groom you. I know hair cuts, by a blind dog, nonetheless, are a source of stress.

Please be assured your hair looks great, despite Annie's lack of vision.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:23 PM

What the heck?!

Yesterday evening Annie tested 490, followed by a 511 retest a few minutes later

No panic, but wondered what went wrong because she has been pretty great for a long time. Wonder if I had an "air" shot because her flank is getting furry and hard to see the skin when I inject. Or, did I actually forget to give the insulin?? Or, were these false readings?

The reason I even considered it being false readings from the PetTest meter is because three hours after the 511, she tested 250ish using the AlphaTrak. Then two hours after that, I discovered the PetTest was dead: dead batteries. I replaced the batteries, and it returned to life testing around 250. Who knows? She was 140 this morning, so back to normal (if there is such a thing as "normal").

Appetite help. I've found something that seems to make her lick her dish clean: probiotics. Actually, I think the doggy style probiotics contain flavorings that she really likes. She's currently eating a mix of dry kibble and canned, and I've been mixing in the probiotic powder. I've tried https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...otics+for+dogs I guessing most all have flavorings to get the pups to eat the powder.

Craig
Old 03-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Weak batteries is my guess.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.