Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Newly Diagnosed, having issues

my dog gets 9 units twice a day, after each meal.

If you do home cooked food, keep the meat low fat, i.e. chicken breast.

And absence of clinical signs is a good thing, my vet has to remind me of that, as I get focused on numbers too much (being diabetic myself).
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:55 PM

As far as the syringes go, I can’t seem to find the ReliOn ones. I asked the pharmacist and they only sell them open box, either by singles or in tens and they’re very expensive like that. The Walmart website doesn’t seem to have them either. Going to have to order some from an online nonrx website somehow. Ugh. They don’t make this stuff easy, do they?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 AM
Founding Member

I think 5 years back Walmart in my area had the same policy and you could not buy a box of 100 without a prescription . You could by the insulin and a bag of 10 syringes . The reason for the syringe policy as explained to me as they were concerned about drug addicts . I would go to Nevada twice a year to visit my mom where they did not have that policy and you could buy as many boxes of a 100 you want so I stocked up twice a year . The Walmart in my are eventually changed their policy back to being able to buy a box of 100 or more and I was happy about that.

You may want to check other Walmarts if they have the same policy and if not would they accept a prescription to buy a box of a 100 or more . Online has good deals and I was going to go that route but it wasnt needed

The only challenge I have from time to time is they dont have the relion insulin so you dont want to get to the bottom of the vial before you buy . Calling the pharmacy may not be a bad idea to save a trip .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 05-30-2020, 05:09 PM

I was able to get some by driving to PA but they still would only sell one box at a time so we will have to figure something else out. And they didn’t have many kinds, had to get the short needle ones because they didn’t sell anything else in the 1/2 or 1/3 cc.

We switched to Novolin after running out of Vetsulin and she’s been on it for about 2 weeks at 12.5 units. Her BG seemed to go high as she was experiencing more periods of lethargy and sleepiness. Has lessened a bit. We were finally able to do a curve today and got the following numbers:

498 - fasting

It seems like she’s responding more normally to the Novolin even if the action time is only around 10 hours or so. Kind of worried about the BG spike (564) during the period when I would expect the insulin to be working the most. It kind of looks like her early curves of when she was in rebound on the Vetsulin @20 units. What next step do you guys recommend? I recently weighed Maura and she seems to be holding steady at 65 lbs so I thought her dose was already on the low end.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:55 PM

For starters, just make sure your giving your dog an ideal dog food thats not high in carbs and has good fiber.

Im not a vet, but it sounds like your about 5-8 units away from getting your dog in that 150-300 range which is more idealistic. My 85lb husky was swinging if the 400-500s like yours with 30 total units per day as recommended by my vet but now is at 150-280 with 48 total units. I guess if you've done a curve and he is out of rebound, you may want to increase 2 units and see how he responds. I know the vets like to go up one unit at a time but in larger dogs, it rarely makes a difference and you find its more like 3-5 are needed to see any difference.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Founding Member

I would not focus to much on a higher number as most glucose meters can be off quite a bit at the higher range .

There is no indication of rebound but its difficult to say how your dogs body reacts to injected insulin . Be careful of large dose increases as your pup has already struggled with this and I would think it remembers that shock

Its a slow steady process and it appears that there is an opportunity for a dose increase . One unit would be a conservative approach and do another curve in 5 to 7 days and reevaluate

Taking consideration of physical symptoms is helpful to try to correlate what you are seeing in the curve which is basically just flat at a higher level

Now you could attempt a 2 unit increase and you really have to do a bit more monitoring of blood sugar to the the reaction of that dose increase with correlating physical symptoms
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 06-01-2020, 10:56 AM

i think your good to go up 2 units
you must test more at least 4 times a day to catch any low numbers.
it takes a while for changes to level out changes in food 3.25 to 2.50 cups and the change to a more potent nph insulin.
did your vet tell you to keep corn syrup on hand to spread on her gums if she goes low? i still have mine on the kitchen counter
Old 06-04-2020, 05:52 AM

We decided to split the increase and went up 1.5 units to 14 units. We’ve been testing more during the day, but have not seen any low numbers. We have seen a big increase in high numbers. She hadn’t been hitting 500s on the meter for weeks but now every other test seems to be in the 500s so I’m not sure where that’s coming from. Her energy level has also dropped and she gets too tired to really get her full walk in the morning.

On another note, she’s always been a picky eater and getting her to consistently eat a food was hard but until now she had been eating the ketona for a couple months reliably. Twice in the past week she has refused her breakfast and spent the day laying on the couch very sleepy. Her bg around 9 AM each time was in the 300s and we did not give insulin those two times.

The vet didn’t say anything about keeping corn syrup on hand but we always have honey and pure maple syrup in the house and I’ve read that those are good for hypo as well.

Last edited by Neirracul; 06-04-2020 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Forgot somethibg
Old 06-04-2020, 06:42 AM
Founding Member

That is interesting with numbers in the 300s without any insulin but of course no food either but you would still think numbers would be well into the 500s

I only give jesse one meal a day as part of her routine and her morning dose receives a dose of insulin without a meal but I do give her a milk bone . so you can usually give some insulin without food . Usually a quarter of the dose you normally give with food

Now the one meal a day I do for Jesse wasn't because she would not eat 2 meals ( she would and then some ) Its because its the only way i could regulate her blood sugar

Now your dog may have gone through or still is going through a honeymoon period where you still produce some of your own insulin .Usually that is a brief period
That could be the reason you are seeing higher numbers

You do want to the see the reaction to the higher dose and some movement lower . You would also like to see more pep but it usually takes a few days for insulin to settle and see what the response is
Old 06-04-2020, 08:22 AM

it takes time for changes.

when Riles didnt eat i gave him 1/4 of his insulin dose and if he ate 1/2 food i gave the recommended half of his dose.

can you try a topper on his food like salmon or cheese