Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Vetsulin - FDA Warning

Natalie

Thank you for your thoughts. A vet from Schering sent me an email today with her direct line and I was going to ask her the same question you just answered for us If a new bottle shows no change in how they react, can I assume that bottle is good? I also was going to reduce the dosage in my new bottle until I saw how Forbes reacted. My vet is ordering a few months worth for me which I thought was very nice of her to do. Hopefully we'll all be ok if we monitor as usual.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

It certainly wouldn't hurt to confirm with them that it's only the quantity of the crystals per bottle that is a problem. That's a less threatening problem than if every injection could be variable.

So I'd love it if you would explore this with the Schering contact. And ask them if Caninsulin is also affected.

It was interesting in past occurrences. With the nature of these forums, members are from all over the U.S., Canada, England... we were seeing multiple dogs suddenly start to have regulation problems located in many different parts of the country. So it looked like a problem with manufacturing of a large lot of the insulin.

This was only anecdotal and not anything we could prove. But I remember two distinct times a year or more apart when multiple dogs went off regulation all at once. I think... I can't be sure... that one time it was Caninsulin and the other it was Vetsulin.

Natalie
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
It is possible, as I understand it, that only the U.S. product is a problem. Kathy tells me they are made in different plants.

Natalie
That is what I was wondering about. I'll be watching this situation.

Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:31:22 (PST)
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 AM

I will call the vet this am and confirm
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 PM

I just spoke to the vet at Schering Plough. First there is no time line developed for a fix. It could be months. It affects Vetsulin and Caninsulin. It's a global issue.

Natalies assumption is correct. It does NOT affect the short acting portion of the insulin. It does affect the longer acting portion where the affect could be STRONGER or LONGER, so its really important to make sure that your dogs lowest point is ok and also that its affect is completed before you give them their next shot if you are going to stay with this insulin.

She agreed that if you are seeing no difference after several injections from a new bottle that it was not affected by this problem. It will be consistent with the vial.

She also emphasized that is very very important to make sure you do a good job suspending/mixing the insuling before drawing, being more cautious than ever.

She didn't say but she was clearly concerned that people understand these points if they weren't switching to a new insulin.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Great minds think alike Natalie ;-> lol!

I have now stock-piled 3 bottles + the current bottle and will be getting another 2 on Friday. (keeping in mind the expiration date of course). I came to the same deduction as you did in regards to each bottle being different, not each shot being different...and to be cautious during the first few days of a new bottle to see what the BG readings are / dogs behavior etc.

It's always something, isn't it?
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info about Canada; it was my vet who suggested I try Caninsulin, so it's a bit disappointing to learn that the problem crosses the border.

My experience -- which another vet in the practice I go to told me was all in my head! -- was that the strength of every bottle is different. I do glucose testing twice a day with urine strips and I have not had any problems with adjusting my doses for each new bottle since I noticed the problem.

Vetsulin really works well for my dog so I would be very sorry if it were to be removed from the market.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM

It is. I'm just wondering how long this has been going on? I'm sure it didn't happen in a day and fyi. All of it vetsulin,caninsulin is manufactured in Germany. Different distribution centers in countries obviously but it all comes from Germany.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Default vetsulin warning/Schering Plough

Just a little more information on this problem:

A few minutes ago I spoke with a vet at Schering Plough. I was told that the warning applies to all unexpired insulin that is currently in circulation.
There is no recall, but the because the product is made in Germany, the FDA is restricting anymore being sent to the US until the problem is corrected and Schering Plough can prove to the FDA that the product is uniformly stable.
Therefore, at some point, the vetsulin will not be available.
The number I called is 800-224-5318 if anyone want to get the information for themselves. This is the technical dept. and they will take your number and have a vet call you.

Charlene & Missy
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Re: vetsulin warning/Schering Plough

i talked to them again today as well and asked how long this problem has been going on. She didnt have a date but told me that there have been 49 complaints about the product being unstable and pets regulation being off given that. I would think we've been experiencing the result for awhile.