Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Good morning everyone......quick question to the wise sages' here.

I know that infections or allergies can make the BG go up but what might be some causes that it would be lower than normal. I've cut back spirits insulin a bit in the last few days because he has been getting some low's. Not scary lows but between 80-90 mid morning then going up to low 100's late morning and early afternoon. He will rise about 10 hours in but even then it is still below 200. This could just be one of the big guys anomalies, but we are on day 3 with getting these lows and they are affecting his walks. Yesterday, before a walk he was 130 and then after he was 64 with absolutely no signs of hypoglycemia. 2 tsp of karo and one milk bone and in an hour was back up to 120.

We are still using humulin and trying to keep the same routine but his walks have been shorter because of this. I was giving him 15.25 during the day and 16 units at night but we've cut that back to 14.75 today in the morning and I plan on doing about 15.25 in the evening until this works out.

On another note, please say a prayer for my dear wife MJ.....2 weeks ago she was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and is going in for surgery this Tuesday. Hopefully, we have caught it early and a complete hysterectomy will remove all the cancer. My head is spinning right now and we are feeling a bit overwhellmed but very hopeful. Just as in everything with life, we trust that God only gives us what we can handle and what we need so we are putting this in his hands.

The surgery is out of town so spirit and I will be staying at the residence inn near the hospital next week and are hoping to be home by Christmas Eve.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Jim, sorry I have no idea about your diabetes question but wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife for a positive outcome with the surgery.
Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg
Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Oh Jim, I will definitely include your wife in my prayers. Although you never want to lose body parts in this case it is great that the cancer is in a part that they can take out and hopefully be done with. My mom went through cancer two years ago, but unfortunately it wasn't in a place we could cut it out. So great that you are going to be taking Spirit with you as you wouldn't want the added worry with him no throwing you curves.

Ruby gave me a low normal reading recently. She almost always comes in higher at fasting if I'm not around to give her humalog about 9 hrs. out from her basal insulin, so the 90 (prime meter) was very unusual. Then she also didin't get her usual food rise for a few meals. Ruby has been on antibiotics, but the trend hasn't been 100% consistent so I am also worried about her kidneys. Apparently if the kidneys are failing they might not be filtering things (insulin among others) out of the body well. Therefore a usual dose of insulin would keep circulating and dropping them lower. Keep in mind though that Ruby is 13 yrs. old and this isn't what my mind would be thinking with a younger dog.

With Spirits history I would more lean towards possibly his trend changing as he does periodically. As I look over Ruby's journal there have been times when her needs have shifted.

Could it also be weather related?

Don't forget to take care of yourself too as time allows.

Tara
Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Founding Member

my sister in law just last year had surgery for ovarian cancer she hadn't felt well for quite some time but after the surgery she felt so much better and leads a normal active life catching it early is a big plus and your wife is in our prayers for a positive outcome

as far as insulin needs jesses first thread was why does jesse need less and less insulin and still today almost 3 years i still ask that question i have slowly ever so slowly reduced her dose over the years and its possible spirit could actually need just a bit less but the body was able to handle a slightly higher amount still a very low dose for such a big boy

another thought dogs are good barometers of there environment and spirit may sense your anxiety with your wife's diagnosis and this maybe a reflection in his blood sugar . jesse blood sugar tells me many things without jesse speaking a word
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Very very sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. Best of luck on the surgery and fingers and toes crossed that they get it all.

We are here for you!

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 AM

Sending prayers and good thoughts for MJ.
I can't help with the low bg. I'm still trying to figure out Jake!

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM

Their trends can change and this just might be what spirit is doing, but as we all know, he could be back to " normal" next week. No help, I know frustrating as it is. Just be thankful you're so in tuned with your big guys needs

Please let MJ know she is in our prayers that everything will turn out fine

Sandy
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Looks as though the Spirit is just recalibrating again. Man, he stays in a nice range.

MJ and yourself will be in our thoughts and prayers this coming week hoping for a good outcome.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Below is a link to an article on obstacles to regulation. There is a pink box near the end of the article that talks about reasons for reduced insulin in dogs.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ob..._to_regulation

My best guess though is that Spirit is just changing trends again. I often think of Decker's recent insulin processing in terms of what you experience with Spirit. If I remember correctly, I think I've read somewhere that Newfoundland dogs can have slower metabolisms. Would be interesting to know if there are any studies out there that focus on metabolism vs insulin needs in dogs.

Wonder if the weather is a factor too, as Tara mentioned. Because the Newfie is a breed that is well suited for cold weather, maybe Spirit is more comfortable as the temperature drops.

Thinking of you and MJ and hoping the surgery goes well and recovery goes smoothly. Will keep you both in my thoughts & prayers.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Founding Member

thinking of you & MJ, hope like you that you did catch it early. Judi