Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Let's Start (March 17, 2008)

By asking our members to tell us something about their dogs. It can be anything from what insulin you use how much and how often, how you're feeding, and please DO include some of the funny things they do!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's Start-

Hi all....
Im Johanna Killians mom.... Most here i already know.... for those who I dont know... Hello......
Killian is a 12 year old ( todays his Birthday.. 3/18/08) Pit Bull....
I also have his sister Zoey... ( also her Birthday).....
and at one time.... There mom.... and 2 more siblings.....Yes there was 5 !
All trying to sleep in my bed at the same time.... That was rough!
Killian got sick November 10th 2006.... and was dx diabetic ....
its been a rough road trying to regulate him, and its still a up hill battle....
This past New Years Eve he developed Pancreatitis.. Had to be hospitalized ....
He has made it through some hard sicknesses.... and I love him with all my heart.....
Killian is 99 lbs of pure love......and if it wasent for this type of diabetic sights, and good people like Natale... He wouldn't be here today celebrating his 12th Birthday.....
Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Founding Member

Hi everyone,

I'm Lynne - Lady's mom. Lady is a Jack Russell Terrier who weighs 11 lbs. She is 9 1/2 yrs old. She was dx with diabetes 9/30/06. Lady also has cushing's. She is on Humulin N 5 units 2x's a day - Trilostane 30 mgs for the cushing's. She's on a homecooked diet. She loves to watch tv - her favorite channel is animal planet. She loves any commerical with a dog in it. No matter where she is or what she's doing when a commercial comes on with a dog she runs to the tv and starts barking. Both her diabetes and cushing's are regulated. It took us awhile to accomplish but thanks to all the great people who helped us along the way - we made it. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady
Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Founding Member

HI! I'm Jody and have been on this diabetic journey with my Taffy for 6 years! Boy oh boy - I have sure come a long way during this time! In the early years my biggest fear was coming home and finding Taffy in a heap because I had injected her with too much insulin. I kept asking my vet - AM I GOING TO KILL MY DOG? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING! (Gosh, that man sure had patience with me.) He assured me time and time again....that I wouldn't kill my dog! He was soooo right!

This past October and November, Taffy started having issues with eating - I tried everything to get her to eat. Come to find out it was her kidneys letting go, and I had to put her to rest. When the day came - I was truly at peace, knowing that she had had a great life - never a day alone, never a day without food, never a night without her blankee. We sure love them ALOT - and I am now dogless. I'm not ever sure if I can ever open up my heart to love one again - but you never know! Jody

Last edited by Jody; 03-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Founding Member

Your sticking to it are you ! well just see....
You have too much experence now and too much love to not have a dog again...
Youll see... one day a dog will claim you... and you'll be in it all over again SO THERE! and thats my story, and Im sticking with it
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Founding Member

It's hard to explain Johanna - I won't say NEVER - but I will say not right now. I'm just not ready. I do look......but my heart's just not ready YET! I've thought about fostering for a wonderful group in my town that needs homes...but I'm so afraid of failing Rescue 101. Maybe when spring arrives - I'll be looking for a walking partner! Jody
Old 03-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Founding Member

Hi

I am Betty - Monkey's Mom

Monkey is 8.5 years old

Residence: Goshen, Ohio (east of Cincinnati, OH)

Diagnosed: September, 2006

Breed: lhasa apso terrier mix

Color: Mostly blond with little black and white mixed in. Long hair

Weight: 28 lbs

Insulin: Lantus (right now but I may change)

Dosage: 14.5 units twice a day

Food: 1 cup RD dry mixed with 1/2 RD can with about 1/4 cup cooked chicken twice a day with shot.

Snack: Broccoli cooked with chicken broth Once a day and very thin chicken jerky strips usually once a day

Health is great most of the time. One bad bout of pancreatitis this past January.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Founding Member

Hello to everyone and it's great to be here!!

I'm Jo-Ann and I have a Lady too! She is an Australian Terrier, black and tan, 15lbs and will be 12 years old in July. She was diagnosed with Cushings in Dec/05 and treated with Anipryl for a year because of where we live in Ontario (Canada). When we moved to Nevada she was put on Trilostane from Wedgewood and is currently on 35mgs daily. She was severely diabetic after 16 days on the trilo and is currently on Vetsulin (Caninsulin) 12.5iu's in am and 13.5 in pm. She has been diabetic since January 15/07 so our journey with diabetes has been for 14 months. And Lady does not like her injections!!! She keeps busy eating her dry food with a little treat on top while I do the shot! Her partial curve, Feb 28th, at our Nevada vet clinic showed the best numbers yet.

Lady's diet is a combination of different foods and has depended on where we are and what we can get. When we moved home in Oct/07 I had to adjust her diet a little but was able to get the US Royal Canin when we were there for January & February/08. She gets a total of 2 cups and 2 small kongs full of dry food in a day. She gets a small part of that food at lunch time as she can never go 12 hours without eating.
I could make this longer but I think that's good for now, take care,
Jo-Ann & Lady

PS- Jody, I understand your feelings about getting another dog! Lady is my buddy, my once-in-a-life time dog or my "heart" dog. I think another dog will find us someday but I know I'll never look for another one. Fostering is one thing I'd be interested in doing.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Administrator

This was March 17, 2008. Chris was still with us and the older forum on canine diabetes was falling apart so I started one to fill the gap that forum was going to leave.

Happy 10th anniversary to K9D!

Natalie
Old 03-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's Start (March 17, 2008)

congrats on the best place to be for k9 diabetes

You have developed a wonderful site Natalie
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number