This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advocate PetTest meter

Yeah!! Received my new Advocate meter yesterday. First reading was 100 pts difference, but I attribute that huge difference to maybe it being the first reading and maybe not getting everything just right.

I have used twice since yesterday. This morning, first reading was only 14 difference, with Advocate being the lowest, and my mid-day reading was 46 difference, again with Advocate being the lowest. If the difference holds, I will make this my main testing meter since I test so often.

I like how it works. It's easy set-up, and the strips just suck in the blood, beeps when the strip is full and pretty much instantly gives you a reading in under 5 seconds, whereas the AlphaTrak may take a little longer for it to work. I like how you use the end of the strip to get the blood instead of trying to get the blood on the little point of the Alphatrak strip. The starter kit came with 10 strips, 10 lancets, the lancer, and 5 travel safety lancets, and calibration fluid, and the little zippered travel bag, plus 2 AAA batteries. And, Countryside Pet threw in an extra bottle of 10 strips (which gives me 20 total to start with). All this for $9.95 and free shipping from them. I am now going back to Amazon to order a box of 50 strips, through them as a seller for $26.95. Ordering strips directly from them is higher. But, I have found it best to check Amazon and the seller to see which is cheaper because sometimes they switch the costs.

I don't plan to switch lancets as the Alphatrak works fine and I can get replacement lancets at Walmart for $1.48 for 100 of them. The Advocate lancer looks strange to me.

So, I'm hoping this continues to be a good meter and remains pretty accurate. The way my Gus is running now, I don't have to worry too much about having a low. We're back to having higher numbers again and being on a roller coaster of being anywhere in mid 300's to high 400s, and a couple 500's thrown in out of the blue. Schnauzers are most certainly hard to regulate and I sure pray he isn't getting insulin resistant. I will be curious on how close the readings are for others here that have ordered this meter.
    Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
    10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Update - just did third comparison BG test with the two meters, with only 5 point difference, again with Advocate being the lower reading. I'm pleased that it appears to be pretty darn close. It's a win in my book right now.
      10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Momofgus:

I want to ask you, when you compare both meters, how do you do it? Do you use the alphatrack 1st & then the Advocate meter?

Do you lance gus only once or does it take 2 pokes to compare the readings?

I rec'd mine today and soon will be trying on Mr Shadow...if he lets me!

I am so new at this i'm trying not to panic while testing him, but it is really stressful when the meter times out due to insufficient blood
        Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

I want to ask you, when you compare both meters, how do you do it? Do you use the alphatrack 1st & then the Advocate meter?

Do you lance gus only once or does it take 2 pokes to compare the readings?

I used the same blood droplet for both meters. First the Alphatrak, then the Advocate meter. I am lucky in that my little dog doesn't mind and his laying back in my arms on my lap while I test him on his upper paw pad (elbow callus). Where are you testing? I've only used the front paw elbow callus. Doesn't hurt him. I don't think I could test him anywhere else. I keep the hair trimmed close to the skin around the callus area.

We get pretty good size blood droplet most times. The Advocate doesn't time out as fast, so you have time. I have everything laid out on my chair arm, lance him, get a nice droplet, push in the strip on both meters and test the blood droplet. I really like how this new meter doesn't time out as quick and how it just sucks up the blood fast and gives you a quick reading.

Comment

I ordered through AdvocateMeters.com using promo code FETCH16 and received the ADVOCATE PetTest Meter Kit for under $7, the cost of shipping. It came with the meter, 25 test strips, 10 single use safety lancets, 10 regular lancets, the control solution, and a lancing device.

Comment

Alright, I gave the new meter a test run. I am testing against the alpha trak, I typically use both alpha strips and freestyle. I know free style with code 7 is typically 15-20 points lower with BG below 200, and 30 lower than alpha above 200.

Results from last 2 days of testing.. A=Alphatrak with Alpha strips, AD=Advocates Meter

A-89, AD-33
              A-100, AD-Low(no reading)
              A-169, AD-77
              A-95, AD-Low
              A-121, AD-55
              A-190, AD-100

The results are all over the map. I tried the control solution and all checked out. I am a bit disappointed, I would not rely on this tester if you have concerns of hypo range. I also found this to require slightly more blood than alpha and freestyle strips, not by much. The unit is bulky, alarm function is a nice add. It feels well built, but at the end of the day it's the accuracy. I have a second vial of strips, but I doubt I will see any change.

By the way, I did a coupe of tests against free style strips as well. As I started to question the alpha strips. Free style came in 20 points lower on avg, and still more accurate. I'll update with more once I have more to report on.
              Jude: Rat Terrier, Doxie, Chihuahua Mix // Born ~4/2009 // Diagnosed at 6 yrs with diabetes // 23.5lbs // Ocu-Glo 1x's Daily // Hypothyroid diagnosed at 7 years, 0.2 mg Levothyroxine 2X's Daily. Diagnosed with IBD at 15 years old, attempting to re-regulate on Purina Hydrolyzed Vegetarian Dry Food (2 Tablespoons Canned Pumpkin for Stool Issues).

Comment

JayCapz, I'm sorry you didn't get better readings for comparison.

Here is summary of the readings I've taken so far yesterday & today. As a note, I will continue to use AlphaTrak intermittently because I believe it to be more accurate, but the results I've gotten for my dog is close enough for me to warrant use since I test 3 times a day. My Gus is still running pretty high and numbers are all over and that's why I test as frequently as I do.

443 AT / 429 AD Diff = 15
                458 AT / 412 AD Diff = 46
                288 AT/ 283 AD Diff = 5
                372 AT / 334 AD Diff =38
                268 AT / 306 AD (first time Alphatrak was lower) Diff =38

I don't think any meter comparison is going to be the same. For me, this is pretty close since my dog runs typically high that I can still be on top of what's going on with him. For my dog, I think the Advocate used less blood - it's definitely easier to get it on the strip than the Alphatrak. But, I agree with you, it's about the accuracy.

Comment

Wow, those readings for Jude are way off... you could talk to the rep about it to make sure there isn't some problem in how it's set up and they might send you a second one if they feel that one is faulty.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by Sofias mama View Post
                    I ordered through AdvocateMeters.com using promo code FETCH16 and received the ADVOCATE PetTest Meter Kit for under $7, the cost of shipping. It came with the meter, 25 test strips, 10 single use safety lancets, 10 regular lancets, the control solution, and a lancing device.
                    Wow, that beats my $9.95 deal. I see that it's only $6.49 total and comes more strips.

Comment

Originally posted by MomofGus View Post
                      Wow, that beats my $9.95 deal. I see that it's only $6.49 total and comes more strips.
                      I payed full price on Amazon, and still don't have mine

Craig
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you Momof Gus for your response. Like you, I also test Mr Shadow on his front paw dual claw, the one on the right side gives me less trouble because he gets nervous and has developed a lick granuloma, the right paw is very sensitive now. I will try to do what you say and hope my numbers are close with both meters...yesterday I started panicking when his morning reading was 306 and the afternoon was 87! So I reduced his insulin from 8.5 to 8 since he ate well.
                        Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                          Wow, those readings for Jude are way off... you could talk to the rep about it to make sure there isn't some problem in how it's set up and they might send you a second one if they feel that one is faulty.

Natalie

I triple read those directions, I know I have the settings all correct. Read the booklet very thoroughly. I am going to suspect the unit itself is faulty at this point, unless this unit/strips perform better in high BG range? Jude is running 300+ points lower than gus, only correlation that I see. I contacted their chat support, they are calling me tonight to troubleshoot. I still have to test with the second vile I purchased, so hopefully this is a fluke.

I hate to get too crazy, but before I give up completely. I may break out my onetouch unit, do a test against alphatrak, onetouch and pet test. Even if my alpha was off, with a range of 33-50 Jude would be in bad shape. At the time that low reading was taken, he was playing with one of his rope toys.

I'll keep you guys posted.
                          Jude: Rat Terrier, Doxie, Chihuahua Mix // Born ~4/2009 // Diagnosed at 6 yrs with diabetes // 23.5lbs // Ocu-Glo 1x's Daily // Hypothyroid diagnosed at 7 years, 0.2 mg Levothyroxine 2X's Daily. Diagnosed with IBD at 15 years old, attempting to re-regulate on Purina Hydrolyzed Vegetarian Dry Food (2 Tablespoons Canned Pumpkin for Stool Issues).

Comment

I just googled the deal and it came up on www.pettestdiabetes.com with a video and the FETCH16. I also notices a place where they can contact ADVOCATE: info@pharmasupply.com Maybe you should email them to see if they can help. Can't hurt! (or they may try and sell you something else!)

Comment

I did 3 comparisons today and the results are pretty much the same and not a whole lot of difference. I have a new full bottle of strips on the way and will start to use the Advocate for most of my testing to save money unless I have an issue where I'm not comfortable with the level of readings, now that I feel I have a pretty good idea of how close this is running for my pup. I will save my AlphaTrak strips/meter for when I have a problem or to spot check.

478 AT 452 AD Diff = 26
                              388 AT 379 AD Diff = 9
                              359 AT 376 AD Diff = 17 (AD higher this time, same time of day as the other comparison when it was higher)

JayCapz, did you use the same blood droplet for your comparison tests? If you didn't, that might make a difference.

Comment

Annie was so excited today, her new meter arrived!

Just did one blood test comparison between the AlphaTrak-2 and Advocate, and a test with both meters using the control solution that came with the Advocate (imitation blood?).

Real Annie blood, 4:00pm
                                AlphaTrak-2 = 123
                                Advocate. = 129

Second Annie test, 6:30pm
                                AlphaTrak-2 = 166
                                Advocate. = 157

Third Annie test, 6:30am
                                AlphaTrak-2 = 291
                                Advocate = 309

Advocate Control solution
                                AlphaTrak-2 = 77
                                Advocate = 86

Guess I now need to give Annie a big snack to get her blood glucose into the 300s and see if the two meters remain close to each other at higher numbers.

Craig
                                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                                X