Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:19 PM

Exclamation Our dog Rose passed away last night, was refusing to eat

I'm aware this is very long. Sorry. Please take time to read though

Our dog rose, blue heeler, was diagnosed in August 2015 with diabetes. It took us about 3 weeks after diagnosis to get her back to her normal self and get everything completely regulated and into a schedule. We had to board her for a week in December at her usual vet as we had to go out of town for family. About a week after we got back, she got cherry eye. We took her to the vet, they gave us some antibiotic cream and pain meds (bc we thought she may be in pain bc she wasn't eating)
Now for back story on her eating problems. She's always been picky, but she's typically always ate up until about mid December. We started having to add warm water, her diabetic wet food, eggs, etc to get her to eat her two daily meals. We thought maybe she was just getting tired of the food. While she was boarded, the vet fed her the wet food bc she wouldn't eat the dry food. The last two weeks have been extremely difficult. We've been going through extreme measure to get her to at least eat something every day so she can get her insulin. Now today (Sunday) is the 2nd day she hasn't eat at all. And we have tried everything. Wet food, normal food, mixing it with any and everything, eggs, chicken with rice and green beans, hot dogs, even food she doesn't need to eat just to get something in her. All she wants is water. So we blended up chicken rice & green beans w/water until it was liquid. Nope, won't eat that. She's obviously having blood sugar issues, but she's doing nothing but drinking water and throwing that up. We did have to hold her down and rub syrup on Her gums. We're getting up early to take her to vet.

Has anyone had their dog behave like this??
Any suggestions for eating even tho she's 100% disinterested in any food at all
Any idea as to why?! My fear is kidney failure
Old 01-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Dog isn't eating

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to read you and Rose are having this trouble.

I take it you are not home blood testing? Most on the forum test their pup's blood glucose at home, usually twice a day. Without blood testing we are only guessing what their blood glucose might be. There is a meter designed for dogs (AlphaTrak), but many just use a standard handheld meter you can get at any pharmacy. You can watch videos on testing on the main part of this website, or search something like "blood test diabetic dog" on YouTube.

How much does Rose weigh? Which insulin are you using, what dosage is she using with a full meal, has she been spayed?

I'm sure others will have other questions / comments.

Craig
Old 01-17-2016, 08:30 PM

I'm sorry your pup isn't feeling well.

I think at the vet's office tomorrow they will want to test for pancreatitis. And actually, if they don't suggest it on their own, you might want to bring it up to them. Diabetic dogs are extremely prone to developing pancreatitis.

If she's not eating at all, and you're not testing at home, I would not give insulin at all at this point. If you are able to test at home, you can consider giving 1/4 of regular dose but testing frequently to make sure her glucose isn't going too low.

Please keep us posted on Rose.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 PM

What diabetic dog food have you tried? Although "diabetic" food may be good for some dogs, they have to eat it to be any good!. Many of the dogs on the forum, including my Annie, started on diabetic prescription food, but moved away because they refused to eat it. The general idea most have is that many foods work, but those lower in fat and higher than average in fiber may be preferred. Think about human diabetics: they watch what they eat, but aren't required by their doctors to eat only a certain food.

Do you adjust the dosage based on the amount of food eaten? It's best if they eat two identical meals each day (there are a couple exceptions, but they have years of experience), but if they don't eat a full meal we can't inject a full dosage of insulin. Many say if the pup eats meal, give dose. If they eat less than 1/4 meal, still give 1/4 dose.

If Rose is drinking a lot, I'm guessing she is peeing a lot also? That is a classic sign of very high blood glucose, but we are not vets on the forum. High blood glucose can also make them feel bad, so they may not be interested in eating. See how home blood testing can help?

Craig
Old 01-17-2016, 09:16 PM

I would have them check on pancreatitis as well. You will want to rule it out and make sure there is no physical cause of this lack of eating. My dog had pancreatitis and went for many weeks eating only a tiny amount of food. I tried so many and we finally found a combo that she would eat. She is picky as well.

Is there anything that has worked in the past ? There also is a drug to increase appetite.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:12 AM

Just wanted to update. I posted last night I think just trying to calm my mind and maybe find a reason for things happening. But I believed last night that she was dying. I could tell looking into her eyes that she was and I knew there was nothing we could do. We couldn't bring her in because she was drinking so much and throwing it right back up, she was more comfortable in her heated dog house anyways. I didn't admit it to myself last night though.
We sadly had to bury her this morning. I myself believe it could have been kidney failure. She was older and the diabetes had really changed her and slowed her down no matter how much we had it under control and no matter what all the vet did for her.
Thank you everyone for replying. I know she is in a much better place, not suffering & not getting stuck with a needle twice a day
Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Founding Member

it can be difficult for an older dog and sometimes the diabetes maybe a sign of the overall health maybe in decline

you have done your best and your pup is not suffering anymore and free to roam and play anywhere anyplace anytime a dog desires
Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about Rose. It sounds like she knew how much she was loved and felt safe leaving for the Bridge. I'm sure she's having a blast playing with her friends, eating lots of unhealthy treats, and never having to get another injection or test.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Administrator

I'm so very sorry to hear this... Your description of her behavior leads me to think there was indeed something very serious going on, and it's not likely that taking her in to the vet last night would have changed the outcome.

If you want, now or later, we would be honored to learn more about Rose and her life with you. We all understand how much you loved her and the heartbreak of losing her.

Sending a hug skyward to her (and a critter or two to herd if she liked that...)

Natalie
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Our dog Rose passed away last night, was refusing to eat

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Rose.

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016