Diabetic dog's eyes losing blinking reflex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic dog's eyes losing blinking reflex

Hi All - I am posting for a friend who is having problems with her newly diagnosed dog. She is pretty well regulated at this point, but today my friend noticed that her dog has lost her blink reflex when air blows on her eye or if the eye is touched. Her third eyelid is showing intermittently as well. Does anyone know what this could be? Does she need to take the dog in immediately to be seen (she is out of town right now and doesn't have access to her regular vet)? The eyes are not red or runny but also appear to be slightly receded.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Re: Diabetic dog's eyes losing blinking reflex

Horner's syndrome is one possibility.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...me-in-dogs/815

But given the risk for serious damage, I would want to have her seen immediately.

Natalie

Comment

sounds like it could be horners
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Dogs also lose the blink reflex when they have myasthenia gravis (mg). Emmitt (diabetic pug with mega-e and mg)displayed the absence of blink even when touched on the eye.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. My friend called her vet, who said that this does not sound like an acute emergency but her dog will need to be seen when she gets home in a couple of days (unless something changes, of course). We are both thinking that it is Horner's - matches the description PERFECTLY!
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

jesse had what we believe was horners and she never had any treatment for it

took awhile for the third eyelid to retract back up into the eye

jesse has had some neurological issues and there really wasn't allot that can be done with that but that is such a small part and we all have our issues from time to time
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Paw crossed! Hope that's symptoms is not horners.

Comment

Working...
              X