Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boarding a diabetic dog

Originally posted by Madisonh View Post
    My dog is 13 years old and is a diabetic and we are going on vacation. We are nervous about leaving her with someone in case her sugar get low at night , forget to give her insulin ect. But we aren't sure about boarding her because she is old and she would like to be at home and most are not open all through the night it's just dogs at the place. What did you end up doing with your dog and how did it go? Thx I would really appreciate it if you could help thx again!
    I would talk to your vet's office and see if there are any techs willing to come to your house for you. I work in a dog boarding facility. We don't take diabetics (not for lack of experience with diabetes), because of the risk of them going low when no one's around. Being at a kennel is different from being home. Not all dogs will act the same way, especially if they're not used to it. Stress can cause some dogs to drop, and it makes some go higher. It depends on the dog. They also may not get the same amount or type of exercise, so their routine can be upset quite a bit. Our kennel is also not able to keep the 12 hour schedule normally done with insulin.

If a kennel is your only option and you do find one willing to take her, I would prebag her food in measured portions for each meal. Pack a few extra meals in case some thing happens to delay pick up. I would also probably either have them give her a carby snack before closing time, or reduce her insulin dose a little so that she runs a bit higher than normal. Make sure they know she needs to be fed and injected at the same time. Some places will feed dinner early, then give meds close to closing. They need to know her dinner needs to be given with her insulin and as close to 12 hours apart from her breakfast and morning injection as possible.
    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I went to LA. to visit my son in Feb. and the only option that I felt safe with was to take Jake with me. We drove. It worked out for that trip but I have since, started letting my Grandson test, measure insulin and give shot. Figured if I take another trip and do it during the summer when school is off he can keep Jake for me.

Jake
      13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
      At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

My dog is 13 years old and is a diabetic and we are going on vacation. We are nervous about leaving her with someone in case her sugar get low at night , forget to give her insulin ect. But we aren't sure about boarding her because she is old and she would like to be at home and most are not open all through the night it's just dogs at the place. What did you end up doing with your dog and how did it go? Thx I would really appreciate it if you could help thx again!

we either got a sitter for our dog or took him with us..he was blind so boarding wasnt something we could do..and we were also scared that the stress would throw his sugar all over the place....he will most likely be better off at him maybe there is someone you trust to test his sugar often while you are gone? best of luck with what you choose..
        sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

We would take her if we could.... otherwise we hired a person to provide the food/shots, as I didn't have anyone that I would ask to do that close by. I would measure out the food, and left a 'book' of notes/instructions.

We then had some neighbors that she was very comfortable with, and their homes, to take her. They would be there in case there was something that was going on, and I was only a phone call away.

It is never easy, and I don't think you ever relax while you are away.

Good luck,
          Barb
          Last edited by Abby's Mom; 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM.
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

All of this is such great information! I think I need to start now looking for someone to take care of Vinny in the fall when we're away!
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Lily stays at a nearby kennel that administers her insulin and meds. The owner is very caring and aware of the needs of diabetic dogs. It's called Spoiled Rotten Pet Spa.

If you live in the Buffalo NY area, here's their web site...

http://www.spoiledrottenpetspa.com/

I just dropped off Lily today for a three day stay. Off to Maryland for my grandson's lacrosse tournament.
              Last edited by MikeMurphy; 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM.
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

What did you end up doing with you dog and how did it go

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                  We would take her if we could.... otherwise we hired a person to provide the food/shots, as I didn't have anyone that I would ask to do that close by. I would measure out the food, and left a 'book' of notes/instructions.

We then had some neighbors that she was very comfortable with, and their homes, to take her. They would be there in case there was something that was going on, and I was only a phone call away.

It is never easy, and I don't think you ever relax while you are away.

Good luck,
                  Barb
                  thx for replying and yeah she is a lab it's hard to take her because we are flying and our hotel doesn't allow dogs but thx for so advice

Comment

Originally posted by ceruleanblue View Post
                    I would talk to your vet's office and see if there are any techs willing to come to your house for you. I work in a dog boarding facility. We don't take diabetics (not for lack of experience with diabetes), because of the risk of them going low when no one's around. Being at a kennel is different from being home. Not all dogs will act the same way, especially if they're not used to it. Stress can cause some dogs to drop, and it makes some go higher. It depends on the dog. They also may not get the same amount or type of exercise, so their routine can be upset quite a bit. Our kennel is also not able to keep the 12 hour schedule normally done with insulin.

If a kennel is your only option and you do find one willing to take her, I would prebag her food in measured portions for each meal. Pack a few extra meals in case some thing happens to delay pick up. I would also probably either have them give her a carby snack before closing time, or reduce her insulin dose a little so that she runs a bit higher than normal. Make sure they know she needs to be fed and injected at the same time. Some places will feed dinner early, then give meds close to closing. They need to know her dinner needs to be given with her insulin and as close to 12 hours apart from her breakfast and morning injection as possible.
                    Thx so much

Comment

Originally posted by sherryandfred View Post
                      we either got a sitter for our dog or took him with us..he was blind so boarding wasnt something we could do..and we were also scared that the stress would throw his sugar all over the place....he will most likely be better off at him maybe there is someone you trust to test his sugar often while you are gone? best of luck with what you choose..
                      Thx for the advice

Comment

Working...
                      X