Mimi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimi

My Maltese, Mimi, just had a curve and we are running out of options. She weighs 15.7 lbs. The vet couldn't get her glucose below 230 on curve. We have just now increased from 13 to 15u vetsulin twice a day. Does anyone, anyone have experience with dogs responding to different insulins ??? Or adding blood sugar gold or other supplements ??? I'm very concerned that the 15u we are currently on can only give her a month or so. Would like to know other peoples experience. She has recently developed cataracts and is now completely blind. Help me please if you have any knowledge on this....

Re: Mimi

Without hunting around the forum looking for your previous posts concerning Mimi can you verify where you buy your syringes and that they are U-40 syringes? They should be marked on the barrel and package.

What is she eating?

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

She eats Blue Buffalo small breed adult chicken. I add a small amount of boiled chicken breast chopped finely, no skin. pill pocket with medicine. She is using U-40 syringes. I've heard some people have had different responses with the insulin from Walmart vs vetsulin. She is also cushings, 15 mg vetoryl twice daily. Her cortisol numbers are perfect. Just can't get glucose in line. It may be hopeless but I want to try everything possible.

Comment

230 is pretty good. what was the full curve, can you post it? what is your vet looking for in #'s?

the big question for me was always: how does my dog feel? How does Mimi feel?

Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

She shows classic symptoms of panting, drinking lots and urinating more. Restless on and off. When we go up on insulin the symptoms generally resolve for a while. Just went up to 15 today. She seems to be resting better. I just know we are getting close to her weight in units. Want to know if there are any options.

Comment

That's a big jump in dose so I'd say just hang in there for a while and see if that is nearer to her magic number for the insulin. I wouldn't be rushing to change anything else for a bit. There are different types of insulin available but for now I'd stick with what you are doing.

It does all take time and it is hard to see your dog having a bad time while you don't change anything but she probably needs at least a week on that dose to see how it works for her.

Antonia
            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I am not jumping to anything at this point. I'm hoping 15 units is the perfect number and she never has to do anything else. From the past history we started with 3units and have gone up 2 units progressively . I know insulin is thought to be at resistant when giving approximate units per body weight. She is 15 lbs and at 15 units. I'm just looking ahead to what the options are if this continues. Just planning ahead and looking for all alternatives. Again, has anyone had a better response on Novolin NPH than Vetsulin ??? Or any other insulin ????

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone has indicated they have had a better response with Novolin-N. My personal experience (years ago with Vetsulin) was that the response in Annie was about the same between the two insulins.

Of course the advantage to Novolin-N from Walmart is the price. $25 for 1000 units of Novolin-N compared to ??? for 400 units of Vetsulin. Vetsulin is said to contain a small amount of fast acting insulin to prevent a large post meal food spike, but that may or may not be enough to make a real difference. Some of us add a small amount of Novolin-R (fast acting, also $25 from Walmart) to the injection of Novolin-N. Just as an example, I'm currently giving Annie 3 units of Novolin-R mixed with 9 units of Novolin-N. In Annie, the 3 units of "R" prevents a big post meal food spike and seems to be pretty much out of her system before the "N" kicks-in. Of course every dog is different and most folks don't need to mess with the "R" at all.

The other thing about using Novolin (any human insulin?) is that you use standard U-100 syringes that can be bought anywhere. You can get thinner 30, or 31, gauge syringes with shorter length needles that some find easier to use.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

The vetsulin is 59.00 at my vet. per vial.

Comment

Has anyone here used the Blood Sugar Gold product ???

Comment

Hello sorry about what happen to your doggy! Hope you find a best way to treat your poor dog.

Comment

Products like Blood Sugar Gold are typically scams. Some supplements are effective in helping with certain problems but any product that says it will reduce blood sugar is just not legit. The only way to controlling blood sugar is balancing food and insulin.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                        X