Scooter's cataract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber and diabetes in dogs

This short article is worth your time to read.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Fiber
    Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

• Re: Fiber and diabetes in dogs

thanks for sharing
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

As usual, it depends on what studies you read. Am. Vet Assoc studies showed insoluble fiber as important.
        I'm not disputing your article scooterspal, just keeping info well rounded.

I think both fibers are important.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10754666
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
          As usual, it depends on what studies you read. Am. Vet Assoc studies showed insoluble fiber as important.
          The way I read this study, which is actually similar to the one I sighted, it states that both diets consisting of high soluble and high insoluble fiber produced similar results when the levels of serum sugar were measured as compared to the diet low in fiber.

From my research on the two types, it is the soluble fiber (oats being a good one but also beans, peas, barley) that appear have the more positive effect in that it is the one, of the two types, that binds to substances like cholesterol and sugar preventing or slowing their absorption into the blood. It also boosts the amount of good bacteria in the intestines.

Insoluble fiber appears to be more of a bulk waste product. If tends to fill up the stomach, so one eats less, but passes through the system with little real effect.

We can go on forever. Not here to debate. The point is, adding fiber (as I do using the rolled oats) and others here do with different sources, is proven to be beneficial to our diabetic friends. The evidence is clear.

Add the fiber of your choice and your dog will thank you.
          Last edited by Scooterspal; 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM.
          Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

definitely adding pinto beans to jesses diet had many benefits for her digestion

her poohs were just beautiful ( as we know we get excited about that because we know everything is working down there correctly )

she also had anal sac problems and since she has been consuming the beans she hasn't had any problems with that ( knock on wood )

they are a nice single treat (one bean ) that she really enjoys
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
              I'm not disputing your article scooterspal, just keeping info well rounded.

I think both fibers are important.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10754666

Hey, I just read an NIH article that stated as a possibility that the dogs that received more insoluble fiber had better glucose control. However, it seems many foods have both and was going to ask "What insoluble fiber can I add and what do I remove remove as a result?"
              Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
              https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Scooter gets 4 tablespoons of old fashion Quaker Oats (not the quick version) in every meal. Has for many years to help with digestion. Increased, after the diabetes diagnosis.

He cleans the bowl every meal. His stool is perfect. It's clearly helping with his BC regulation. What more can I add.

Comment

yum

there was a member who gave there dog millet which appeared to improve regulation for there dog

Comment

I tried the tablespoon of old fashioned Quaker oats (uncooked) in Winnie's dog food last night. Her stool was firmer and there was no diarrhea (which she has had off and on since switching to her new food). Thanks for the great idea, and it's super easy too!
                    Winnie - 25 lb poodle mix - diagnosed 12/1/17 - on 6 units Vetsulin 2x/day - Blue Buffalo Grain Free Chicken dry & wet mixed with 2 tbls. oatmeal - home test with Advocate meter

Comment

Well, it sounds good. Was your baby's BG affected by the addition of the oatmeal?
                      Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
                      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Originally posted by bichons9 View Post
                        Hey, I just read an NIH article that stated as a possibility that the dogs that received more insoluble fiber had better glucose control. However, it seems many foods have both and was going to ask "What insoluble fiber can I add and what do I remove remove as a result?"
                        I use brown rice. I cook up a pot, then break it up into little Glad bowls and feeeze them, then thaw as needed. I give a good soup spoonful in the morning. Barley is also insoluble. Beans and chickpeas too.
                        Many other insoluble foods are things we usually don't want, like various grains.
                        There's more sources of soluble fiber from my research, foods we like to give our dogs.
                        I asked a nutritionist about sources because too many websites are incorrect, if you google either fiber.
                        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I'll keep Winnie on the oatmeal (or brown rice) and will be doing a glucose curve test on her this weekend to see how she's adjusting to the new dosage of 6 units morning and 6 units at night and see how the addition of oatmeal hopefully stabilizes her blood sugar ups and down throughout the day. I know it has helped her diarrhea.
                          Winnie - 25 lb poodle mix - diagnosed 12/1/17 - on 6 units Vetsulin 2x/day - Blue Buffalo Grain Free Chicken dry & wet mixed with 2 tbls. oatmeal - home test with Advocate meter

Comment

We have to assume all these things are interconnected.

If a dog is "sick" with an infection or, in your case diarrhea (which can potentially lead to dehydration), it's probably safe to conclude this will have some bearing on their BC levels.

Getting a handle on each issue should, IMHO, eventually lead to better diabetes control.

Glad to hear the oatmeal is working for you. Sometimes the simplest things work best.

Comment

• Simplicef and diabetes issues

My internist put Scooter on once-a-day Simplicef (cefpodoxime proxetil) for his skin issues last Friday. Apparently, it is a common antibiotic for skin conditions, among other things.

Since then I have not been able to regulate his BC levels at all. Getting weird spikes and lows where before had near perfect regulation during the day. I was chasing his levels up and down, for no reason other than adding that new drug.

This morning was the last straw. Scooter was 257 at 1:30am. Normally, he's around 80 - 100 at that time, as I check him every day.

I knew what was coming and, sure enough, at 5:30am he was HIGH, over 600 on my meter. That's the third day in a row he was well over 400, at that time.

The only thing I can find on the web states Simplicef can cause false readings with BC in urine testing. Now, whether that also means odd readings testing blood, I do not know. Either way, to take a chance for 20 days was not an option.

So, I've pulled him off the Simplicef and will notify my vet.

http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki...ation_warnings

This just goes to show that, unless you're testing regularly, you just don't know what's going on with your pet. Diabetes is an insidious disease that we can never take for granted is under control.

I learned that from you folks and I'm forever greatful.
                              Last edited by Scooterspal; 12-19-2017, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Re: Simplicef and diabetes issues

Maggie had major issues with that antibiotic, simplicef and clavamox - they both pushed her dangerously low and one gave her bloody stools, etc. We switched her to another one with no issues. You definitely did the right thing stopping it. There should be many alternatives that don’t cause those side effects. And yes, thank goodness for home testing.
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X