Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

I know you all were waiting for the results I got on the new Walmart Relion Prime meter!

8PM, same blood droplet
    AlphaTrak-2 = 103
    ReliOn Confirm = 64
    ReliOn Prime = 70

Of course, one test doesn't mean much. I want to run at least 7 tests between 100 - 200 to get enough data to make decisions.

Again, the ReliOn Prime meter is $16.24. The strips are $9.00 for 50!
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I wish we had a walmart!

I have to pay £24 ($37 ) for 100 syringes off internet site
      £10-12 ($15-18)for 50 test strips from ebay
      £26 ($40) for a bottle of canninsulin only available from a vets
      £7 ($11) for 100 soft touch lancets from a pharmacy
      £42 ($65) for a 15kg bag of dog food- burns high oats

It sure adds up, scares me when I actually think about how much this all costs, esp with a diabetic cat too! Maybe its just as well we dont have a walmart tempting me with new machines and strips!
      Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
        I know you all were waiting for the results I got on the new Walmart Relion Prime meter!

8PM, same blood droplet
        AlphaTrak-2 = 103
        ReliOn Confirm = 64
        ReliOn Prime = 70

Of course, one test doesn't mean much. I want to run at least 7 tests between 100 - 200 to get enough data to make decisions.

You sound like you're getting a kickback on these, Craig! LOL Do we get the 'And wait...there's more!" part, too?
        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by jenny View Post
          I wish we had a walmart!

I have to pay £24 ($37 ) for 100 syringes off internet site
          £10-12 ($15-18)for 50 test strips from ebay
          £26 ($40) for a bottle of canninsulin only available from a vets
          £7 ($11) for 100 soft touch lancets from a pharmacy
          £42 ($65) for a 15kg bag of dog food- burns high oats

It sure adds up, scares me when I actually think about how much this all costs, esp with a diabetic cat too! Maybe its just as well we dont have a walmart tempting me with new machines and strips!
          But you probably have better fish & chips, not to mention Bass Beer!
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

8PM, same blood droplet
            AlphaTrak-2 = 103
            ReliOn Confirm = 64
            ReliOn Prime = 70

Hi, was reading the posts about meters. I am a newbie to this as my girl was recently diagnosed about 4 months ago. I'm curious why everyone has so many meters? I'm also curious about the Craig and Annie's readings below...why the difference do you think? I use the AlphaTrak 2 and when I've checked it with the vet it registers withing one or two numbers?. Thanks, Juan...Osha's dad.

8PM, same blood droplet
            AlphaTrak-2 = 103
            ReliOn Confirm = 64
            ReliOn Prime = 70

Comment

Hi Jenny, you do have Walmart in the UK, it's Asda! Are there prices cheaper than a regular chemist (Boots)? I'm originally from Manchester. Where are you located?
              Good luck finding cheaper prices on supplies.

Pennyloomum
              Penny - 11yrs, 20lbs; diagnosed diabetic 01/04/10; Insulin - Levemir 2units x 2 per day. Feeding Natures Variety Beef or Lamb Raw Medallions and Mince and/or Chicken with Brown Rice, Green Beans and a little Benefibre mixed with yoghurt.

Comment

Originally posted by OshaGaelios View Post
                Hi, was reading the posts about meters. I am a newbie to this as my girl was recently diagnosed about 4 months ago. I'm curious why everyone has so many meters? I'm also curious about the Craig and Annie's readings below...why the difference do you think? I use the AlphaTrak 2 and when I've checked it with the vet it registers withing one or two numbers?. Thanks, Juan...Osha's dad.

8PM, same blood droplet
                AlphaTrak-2 = 103
                ReliOn Confirm = 64
                ReliOn Prime = 70
                Why so many meters? Because I'm always looking for something better. The AlphaTrak was GREAT (my first meter for Annie), but the test strips were just soooooo expensive if you test 3-4 times a day. Next, I tried the inexpensive Walmart ReliOn Confirm meter: strips were way cheaper than the AlphaTrak. Got the AlphaTrak-2 a couple of months ago when the strips for the orignal AlphaTrak were discontinued and the new AlphaTrak-2 strips are a little less expensive. Just got the new Walmart ReliOn Prime yesterday: cheapest strips yet, only $9 for 50.

The problem with most human style meters (non AlphaTrak-2) is that they are, of course, calibrated for human blood and not dog blood. Some people use the human meter at face value, knowing there is a bit of difference. Others (me) use the human meter for routine testing and try to determine a percentage difference between the human meter and AlphaTrak-2.

Also, I like playing with new shiny things

If my testing schedule, and wallet, would allow, then the AlphaTrak-2 would be my first choice.

Comment

I'm all in for the shiny new things, too! Also a tad bit of a competitive streak so I have to try to keep up with Craig. He's got me beat now but I'll get there! LOL

Also...it's good to compare one to another...you never know when one might keel over on you and it's good to have a back up.
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I am glad that I'm not the only one who collects the meters.
                    I have, 2-AlphaTrak-1, AlphaTrak2, Relion's Micro, Confirm, and perhaps one more, Prime. (My husband thinks I am obsessive but I am just searching for the better deal. ) I test 4X daily and anything cheaper would help. I'm looking forward to see more comparison. Thanks.

Comment

Annie...errr, I mean, Craig,

I thought of you when I saw this offer for the " New One Touch Verio IQ Meter with Pattern Alert"....able to perform lots of fun things!

There is a coupon for $30.00 off the cost of the meter, I've seen the meter for about this much so the meter would be basically free!
                      The strips of course are the costly part....between $70.00-$80.00 for a vial of 100.

...oh but what fun this meter would be ;-)

http://www.onetouch.com/

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyside View Post
                        I am glad that I'm not the only one who collects the meters.
                        I have, 2-AlphaTrak-1, AlphaTrak2, Relion's Micro, Confirm, and perhaps one more, Prime. (My husband thinks I am obsessive but I am just searching for the better deal. ) I test 4X daily and anything cheaper would help. I'm looking forward to see more comparison. Thanks.
                        I would be interested in seeing any comparisons you might do between the AlphaTrak-2 and the Confirm or Prime.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                          Annie...errr, I mean, Craig,

I thought of you when I saw this offer for the " New One Touch Verio IQ Meter with Pattern Alert"....able to perform lots of fun things!

There is a coupon for $30.00 off the cost of the meter, I've seen the meter for about this much so the meter would be basically free!
                          The strips of course are the costly part....between $70.00-$80.00 for a vial of 100.

...oh but what fun this meter would be ;-)

http://www.onetouch.com/
                          Is the Verio IQ "shiny"? I think I'll have to tell Annie she has enough for now!

Haven't done any more Prime testing. Will wait until I get closer to empty on the box of Confirm strips. Hate having three different boxes of strips in use at the same time.

Comment

Is the Verio IQ "shiny"? I think I'll have to tell Annie she has enough for now!
                            oh I don't know about that...but it is smart!

Maybe we'll just keep this to ourselves then so Annie won't find out.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

But I want one! Oh...I mean, Hank wants one! Yeah...it's Hank that wants one. Sure.

Comment

I would be interested in seeing any comparisons you might do between the AlphaTrak-2 and the Confirm or Prime.
                                Hi Craig,

I don't have Prime yet, however, I have comparisons between Confirm and AT2.
                                Here are example of few comparisons from different levels:
                                AT2: 377, Confirm: 285 (0.75)-Difference is 3
                                AT2: 295, Confirm: 220 (0.75)-Difference is 3
                                AT2: 177, Confirm: 127 (0.7)-Difference is 4
                                AT2: 55, Confirm: 37 (0.7)- Difference is 3

I tested many times and it came out to around same range. I am comfortable with division of 0.7 and 0.75 in different levels, and I am looking forward to test with Prime.

Comment

Working...
                                X